XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Glad to learn you got the corrosion issue resolved....
    kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem

Glad to learn you got the corrosion issue resolved.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

thanks for the update
    glad it got sorted out
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by goblue123 View Post
    My dealer replaced 3 of my 4 rims after I pointed out the corrosion on my 2013 XTS Plat. rims. Not a single issue in replacing them! Great service.
    Hello goblue123,

I am glad to hear that your dealership replaced 3 out of your 4 rims when you brought this concern to their attention! Be sure to let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by another_lap View Post
    I started this thread 2 months ago. After a long process involving the regional cadillac rep, I now have four new rims. They first confirmed that other cars at other dealers had the same corrosion/etching problem.

They did a nice job. The new rims were not damaged in any way while mounting tires or rims to the car. It is better balanced than before, the car it totally smooth now.
    Hello another_lap,

I apologize that it was a long process, but I am glad to hear that you received four new rims due to this issue. I am also happy to see that the vehicle is better balanced and rides totally smooth now. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this concern. Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

420sun is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2013 XTS platinum. My wheels have corrosion on them as well. The car is only 6 months old. They blame it on the salt up here in NY state. I am ready for a battle on this. I had a similar problem with my GMC Denali. My GMC dealer made it right though. My Cadillac dealer doesn't seem to be very supportive at this point. They are trying to brush it off. For 65k + that's not going to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by 420sun View Post
    I have a 2013 XTS platinum. My wheels have corrosion on them as well. The car is only 6 months old. They blame it on the salt up here in NY state. I am ready for a battle on this. I had a similar problem with my GMC Denali. My GMC dealer made it right though. My Cadillac dealer doesn't seem to be very supportive at this point. They are trying to brush it off. For 65k + that's not going to happen!

Hi 420sun,

I can see how dealing with wheel corrosion would be frustrating and I would be happy to look into it for you. If you would like, please PM me your VIN, contact, and dealer information and I will get right on it. If you are unable to PM me, please email me at socialmedia@gm.com with "Attention: Austin" in the title. Have a great day.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Austin,

I sent you an email regarding this my wheels

Austin,

I sent you an email regarding this my wheels
    Hey 420sun,

I received the email and have responded. Keep an eye out for it and we can continue our discussion that way.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

newopp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): xts

My xts is 1 1/2 years old with 45,000 miles on it. They replaced 3 rims 6 months ago because of the corrosion problem. Now 2 more are bad. that means 5 out of 8 had corrosion problems. They have never had a problem replacing them. But I now have a 60K (that is now worth 35K) car that I have had for 18 months that is about to go out of warrenty. They will not put different rims on it. I think I am screwed!!! How was your problem taken care of. I am from WV so they will try to blame it on the salt!!

Austin J,

I sent you a new email tonight. My dealer is not very supportive. I brought it to their attention 3 times now. Nothing is going to be done by them. Please see what can be done from your end. This is going to be an ongoing problem, it is a design flaw, Plastic wheel spokes attached from behind is not a good design. Any road grit gets trapped behind the spoke and etches away the chrome finish on the aluminum part of the wheel.

Bill Z. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My 2013 XTS platinum is exactly one year old, and is getting 4 new wheels tomorrow due to corrosion at the juncture of the wheel rim and the false inserts. No hassle at all from the dealer.

Austin J,

I sent you a new email tonight. My dealer is not very supportive. I brought it to their attention 3 times now. Nothing is going to be done by them. Please see what can be done from your end. This is going to be an ongoing problem, it is a design flaw, Plastic wheel spokes attached from behind is not a good design. Any road grit gets trapped behind the spoke and etches away the chrome finish on the aluminum part of the wheel.
    Got your email, 420sun. We can further discuss your concerns via that medium.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

ptcummings is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Out of curiosity, for the folks that have had the rims replaced: Do they replace them with an improved rim so the same thing won't happen again? or with the original type so it will be a recurring problem?

I got four new wheels yesterday for my 2013 XTS Platinum, under warranty. Although they are the same design, it appears that they are a little different in that the chrome false spokes do not touch the outer diameter of the wheel. The mounting tab just leaves the chrome a hair away from the aluminum rims, to prevent the corrosion by dissimilar metal. Hope this works.

Lizbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTR White Diamond coat; 2000 DeVille. Sterling Silver.

I looked at the picture on page 1 of this thread and them looked at my rims (19"). I don't see any separation between the "spokes" and the rim; it is all one piece. What plastic are you talking about? That little round thing in the center of the hub?

This thread is about the 20" wheels on the Platinum XTS. I don't think it applies to the 19" wheels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.