XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by another_lap this AM I went to a third dealer and within one minute found 4 out of ...
    kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem

Quote Originally Posted by another_lap View Post
    this AM I went to a third dealer and within one minute found 4 out of 5 platinums with this problem. that makes 14 out of 16 cars at three dealers in a couple days. Really none of you see this problem? that is starting to seem to me to be statistically unlikely.

I am pushing this because the best way we can find a reasonable solution to this is if customers in mass start complaining to dealers and gm. My dealers notion of dismantling the wheel and refinishing it, with who knows what kind of result does not seem reasonable to me.
    My wheels look as good after one year as they looked when they were new. Absolutely no similar issues around the inserts at all on any of my wheels.

another_lap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 xts platinum

Kipsts, do you live in a predominantly wet or dry climate?

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

I don't think it should make a difference what the climate is. If I can't wash my car once a week then the wheels would have to not have the problem.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

I owned a '87 Riviera whose alloy wheels had a center cap that needed to be removed to access the lug nuts. Typically the mechanics would use a screw driver to pry the cap off. The marks on your XTS wheel look very much like the marks that I eventually got on the Riv. Wonder if someone was trying to see if they could pry off the chrome applique.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah, but on almost all of the XTS's in Houston?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

There is no evidence of prying on my car. It would be noticeable on the insert side. Also, it is impossible that at the 3 dealers I visited and on 14 brand new cars someone tried to pry about 100 inserts on about 50 wheels.

I went to the dealer. The svc mgr took a photo and said he would talk to the gm regional rep. He said he never saw this problem. I told him it is on 4 more cars on his new car lot. More to come...
    Lizbill likes this.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Kipsts, do you live in a predominantly wet or dry climate?
    Vegas is uber dry, most of the year it is in single digit humidity. But I wash her frequently. I am meeting another XTS owner Monday from Toronto and I'll see if his wheels show the problem.

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Yeah kipsts "uber dry" but it's presently raining here in Vegas. Hope your drive back from California to-day is not effected by the weather. Shouldn't have washed the car this morning. ha, ha, ha. Parked inside so I hope it's not raining tomorrow in order to take some pics of both cars. Anyway, presently no such problem an my XTS with those 20 inch rims, having driven them in bad winter weather for the first 3 months and lots of rain thereafter. (built date Jan 10) but my 1995 SLS had problems on it's alloy rims after a few years in loosing air do to pitting just at that area and they hat to take the rubber off and grind them. My 2003 STS came with very expensive 18 inch Chrome BBS rims (already dealer installed). Those had a real problem as the chrome flaked off after about 4 years. Said to be due to the snowy winters in Toronto. However, I later found out they had a widespread manufacturing problem, closed/bankrupt the company to avoid recall issues and stared a new company. So much for German quality by a previously highly regarded company. LOL So I was out of luck. Anyway I had them totally stripped and then silver painted and they looked good. I then used them for my (new) winter set purchasing new rims for the summer. So perhaps there is/was also a manufacturing problem with a given "batch" of those rims on brand new XTS's. They may well be made by a different company for GM.

joesboat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    Quote Originally Posted by another_lap
    I have a new 2013 xts platinum (4 days old). I noticed that at the intersection of the polished inserts and rim (tire side of the insert) there is corrision or etching on the aluminum rim. this shows up on all four wheels and most inserts. The corrosion appears as a thin white lines of erosion of the top layer of coating thru to the aluminum. Then I went back to the dealer and saw the same thing on most other xts platinums that have been on the lot 4+ months. This does not polish off. Do others see this on their platinum wheels? Any ideas short of going to the dealer as a warranty issue?
    If your rims are chrome or polished aluminum with clear coat on top of them then the rims have a 90% to start pitting/peeling/flaking and every dealer is going to tell you it's Mother Nature a.k.a. They won't do anything for you.

Look at every car with similar rims forms Kia to BMW, they all do it. I even went to the manufacturer and they still held the same stance. I'll never ever buy any sort of rim aside from raw aluminum for a garage queen or silver paint w/clear coat for a daily driver.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    yeah, but on almost all of the XTS's in Houston?
    It's not the screw driver or anything like that. As you said ... On all XTS's????

It's the crappy rim itself.

eperon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): dkonrad@columbus.rr.com

I have the exact same problem on my XTS which just crossed over 2,000 miles -- yet a baby! I brought the issue to the attention o my salesman. He said he'd ask the body man about it and get back to me. That was a month ago. I'm still waiting....
    I live in Columbus, Ohio, which can also get very humid... but I'm suspecting that humidity has nothing to do with it.
    It is indeed a disappointment in this brand new car. But then, I've got bigger issues... I'm taking her back in Monday to get a bad wheel bearing addressed....

Oh, sigh.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by eperon View Post
    I have the exact same problem on my XTS which just crossed over 2,000 miles -- yet a baby! I brought the issue to the attention o my salesman. He said he'd ask the body man about it and get back to me. That was a month ago. I'm still waiting....
    I live in Columbus, Ohio, which can also get very humid... but I'm suspecting that humidity has nothing to do with it.
    It is indeed a disappointment in this brand new car. But then, I've got bigger issues... I'm taking her back in Monday to get a bad wheel bearing addressed....

Oh, sigh.
    Hello eperon,

Welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you as part of the Cadillac family. I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your XTS. I see you are bringing your vehicle into the dealer for your bad wheel bearing. Are you planning on discussing the wheel corrosion issue with your service advisor? I recommend this since you will already be at the dealer and due to your salesman not getting back with you. Please let me know how everything goes. I am happy to further discuss any questions and concerns with you. I can be reached via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Its been 10+ days now, still no response from my dealer who was in communication with the regional Cadillac rep. Guess its time for me to follow up again.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Its been 10+ days now, still no response from my dealer who was in communication with the regional Cadillac rep. Guess its time for me to follow up again.
    Hello another_lap,

I am sorry it's been many days since you have heard from your dealer in regards to your situation. If you would like to further discuss your situation with us, please reach out via private message. Include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and name and location of the dealer you are working with. I look forward to hearing from you and seeing how I can assist you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

goblue123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    My dealer replaced 3 of my 4 rims after I pointed out the corrosion on my 2013 XTS Plat. rims. Not a single issue in replacing them! Great service.

I started this thread 2 months ago. After a long process involving the regional cadillac rep, I now have four new rims. They first confirmed that other cars at other dealers had the same corrosion/etching problem.

They did a nice job. The new rims were not damaged in any way while mounting tires or rims to the car. It is better balanced than before, the car it totally smooth now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.