Does anyone use the Paddle Shifters?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Does anyone use the Paddle Shifters? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Was on a short trip in the Ca mountains going to Big Bear Lake. There was a nice empty stretch ...
    longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does anyone use the Paddle Shifters?

Was on a short trip in the Ca mountains going to Big Bear Lake. There was a nice empty stretch of winding uphill road, so I went into manual. Boy was it a difference in performance and the cars ride was firmer. I think using manual change's the car ride it was very quick out of the curves. I'd need more time driving in manual, I was not very smooth changing the gears. It was not as thrilling as those ATS commercial but not bad for this size car. My blood was pumping pretty good when I reach the top

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: Does anyone use the Paddle Shifters?

I use the Sport setting frequently with or without the paddles. It makes for much crisper shifts, tighter handling. I use the paddles when I am on curvy and or downhill roads just as I would a manual transmission. It provides more control.

Bejaip is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

Does switching in to sport mode save on gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bejaip View Post
    Does switching in to sport mode save on gas?
    I don't know why it would. Most of the time I am in Sport Mode I am driving more 'enthusiastically.'

So to go in to sport mode just go to manual. When do you know to use the paddle shifters.

Any time you would like to use them. I do it when I would like more engine braking going into curves or down hill. If you use them, treat them them the same way you would if you were driving a manual car- listen to the engine for appropriate shift points and/or rely on the tac. I use Sport with or without the paddles when I want more a 'spirited' driving experience.

So you can use the knob instead of the paddles?

So you can use the knob instead of the paddles?
    You can use the 'knob' to put the transmission into Sport mode. You need to use the paddles if you want to control the shifts after putting it in Sport mode.

could you really damage the vehicle if you do not know what you are doing?

could you really damage the vehicle if you do not know what you are doing?
    Certainly not by just putting it in Sport and leaving it there. It would probably lower your mpg while upping your spg (smiles per gallon). On the other hand, putting it in Sport and attempting to 'force' shifts I believe is protected by the CPU initiating a fuel cut out to prevent over-revving the engine.

TomD1951 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have thought about using the paddles but I am too lazy, just like to set back and enjoy the ride of my XTS.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD1951 View Post
    I have thought about using the paddles but I am too lazy, just like to set back and enjoy the ride of my XTS.
    That's the beauty of the option!
    CDN XTS likes this.

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Used it to-day in the Mountains between Denver and Montrosa. ACC doesn't downshift even when following a slow car downhill. It correctly slows down but uses only the brakes, so both uphill when passing I used the paddles and of course also downhill into a lower gear thus also using the engine for braking. Worked great BTW, even in the mountains the fuel usage is great. Filled up in Downtown Denver and again in Montrosa, 282.6 miles increasing net altitude by 584 feet, crossing lots of passes, two over 11,000 feet (went off the I 70 shorty before Vail and took local roads from there) Sometimes briefly really hitting it to pass another car on the two lane highways with those many curves. It has all the power I need. Average speed 53.3 mph. Would you believe MPG was 29.3 on this trip through the high mountains. Manual calculation 29.3829 MPG. "Silverbaby", my XTS Platinum behaved beautifully, holding the road in the curves like a racing car and no increase in water temp. either. On-Star reception on calls to my wife was rather poor but considering the location, I guess that is to be expected. Had a great day, beautiful scenery - stopped quite often - and great driving, reminding me of my many drives in the Alps and Western Canada. Kipsts, we should consider taking a photo of your Silverfox and my Silverbaby together and posting it on the Forum. Will have to clean all the bugs off when getting into Vegas. LOL.

Thumbs up Re: Does anyone use the Paddle Shifters?

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    Used it to-day in the Mountains between Denver and Montrosa. ACC doesn't downshift even when following a slow car downhill. It correctly slows down but uses only the brakes, so both uphill when passing I used the paddles and of course also downhill into a lower gear thus also using the engine for braking. Worked great BTW, even in the mountains the fuel usage is great. Filled up in Downtown Denver and again in Montrosa, 282.6 miles increasing net altitude by 584 feet, crossing lots of passes, two over 11,000 feet (went off the I 70 shorty before Vail and took local roads from there) Sometimes briefly really hitting it to pass another car on the two lane highways with those many curves. It has all the power I need. Average speed 53.3 mph. Would you believe MPG was 29.3 on this trip through the high mountains. Manual calculation 29.3829 MPG. "Silverbaby", my XTS Platinum behaved beautifully, holding the road in the curves like a racing car and no increase in water temp. either. On-Star reception on calls to my wife was rather poor but considering the location, I guess that is to be expected. Had a great day, beautiful scenery - stopped quite often - and great driving, reminding me of my many drives in the Alps and Western Canada. Kipsts, we should consider taking a photo of your and my Silverbaby together and posting it on the Forum. Will have to clean all the bugs off when getting into Vegas. LOL.
    Wow, sounds like a really spectacular drive!!! Impressive mpg as well. We'll both have to wash off the bugs for the picture- mine coming back from Pebble Beach. We will work it out and get that picture to post for sure. Hum, SilverFox and Silverbaby

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Didn't do as good to-day from Montrose to Cortez only 25.7 mpg at average speed of 39.5 for the 157 mile trip, but that scenery and the drive up on US 550 to over 11,000 (more than once), down to Silverton at 9318 elevation and further down to Durango was something else, particularly going up from the north. Can totally compare to the Alps as to switch-backs. Every place I could stop I did, Spent so much time stopping that a young Lady passed me a few times on her bicycle. WOW, couldn't do that anymore on such grades for miles and miles. And then the up-lane was on the valley side and no shoulders. I would be dizzy just standing there never mind biking with cars and the odd 18 wheeler passing. Used the paddles but not pushing it today. I bet some cars behind me must have though my brake lights didn't work as the lower gear kept the car at a save speed around switch backs without touching the brakes. Silverton has changed - too many shops - from the last time I was there some 20 years ago vie the train from Durango. But driving an XTS over those high passes is something else. Also went into the impressive Mesa Verde Park so I stopped well short to-day of my goal and will have a long ride tomorrow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.