XTS Platinum 20" wheels
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By r34220
  • 1 Post By BEarle
  • 1 Post By joesboat
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS Platinum 20" wheels in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Do these wheels have a coating? I am trying to determine if they can be polished with metal polish. rsz_imag1169.jpg...
  1. #1
    r34220's Avatar
    r34220 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    103

    XTS Platinum 20" wheels

    Do these wheels have a coating? I am trying to determine if they can be polished with metal polish.

    rsz_imag1169.jpg
    Gomaz likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    ldfult is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    69
    Posts
    3

    Re: XTS Platinum 20" wheels

    I believe they are coated and would not use a metal polish. One might want to use a wax on them, but soap and water should clean them up.

  4. #3
    kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    351

    Re: XTS Platinum 20" wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by ldfult View Post
    I believe they are coated and would not use a metal polish. One might want to use a wax on them, but soap and water should clean them up.
    I agree. I washed SilverFox (Platinum) yesterday and was amazed at how great the wheels still look almost a year later. All I have done is hand wash them with the same soap and water I use on the body along with a sponge or mircofiber cloth.

  5. #4
    BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by r34220
    Do these wheels have a coating? I am trying to determine if they can be polished with metal polish.

    <img src="http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130857"/>
    Your car looks nasty in your pic! I love the under glow in the grill! Upload some more pics!
    r34220 likes this.

  6. #5
    r34220's Avatar
    r34220 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    103

    Re: XTS Platinum 20" wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    Your car looks nasty in your pic! I love the under glow in the grill! Upload some more pics!
    My Pleasure !

    2013-08-01 19.49.39 (Custom).jpg
    photo (1) (Custom).jpg
    photo (3) (Custom).jpg
    photo (10) (Custom).jpg

  7. #6
    joesboat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: XTS Platinum 20" wheels

    Those are polished aluminum wheels with a clear coat on top. Treat them as you'd treat any aluminum body panel with paint and clear coat. Use a mild PH balanced cleaner (make SURE you take note of the PH level) and if they are really dirty I suppose once a year you can use a VERY mild clear coat polish.

    If the rims are bad, you should demount, clay bar, polish and keep them nice from that point to avoid having to go balls to the wall every cleaning session.

    If you're not sure of the PH levels of cleaners just go with something that says "polished aluminum safe". Even though it's not raw polished aluminum you'd really benefit from using the weaker PH cleaner. Hell everyone should, those strong wheel cleaners over time accelerate the dry rotting process and dull the rims clear coat.

    When you are using a rim cleaner and you spray tires/rims that are perfectly clean and you keep getting brown grime, that's not grime, that is the protectant inside the black rubber to prevent dry rot/cracking and the cleaner is too strong so it's pulling all that stuff out of the rubber which is why people always say "no matter how much I clean my tires I keep pulling off brown crud". It took me a while to really believe it but once I did all of the sudden my tires could literally go 2x to 3x the amount of time and not the slightest hint of dry rot/cracking.

    Now dulling the rim's clear coat, oh man I could go on forever about that.

    All I'm trying to say is if you detail your car enough you never even need a rim cleaner, you're just wasting your money and stocking one more product. 99% of the time all you need is the left over soapy water you used to wash your car and that will be more than strong enough to clean your tires/rims (the inside of the rims too, don’t forget about them). That's all I use and I save money, my rim's clear coat is clearer for a longer amount of time and I don’t have to worry about the life of my tires anymore.

    I am VERY into detailing and the science behind it. It's not just using soap and water, I treat my car the same way someone treats a Bugatti from the 30's.
    r34220 likes this.

  8. #7
    r34220's Avatar
    r34220 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    103

    Re: XTS Platinum 20" wheels

    Quote Originally Posted by joesboat View Post
    Those are polished aluminum wheels with a clear coat on top. Treat them as you'd treat any aluminum body panel with paint and clear coat. Use a mild PH balanced cleaner (make SURE you take note of the PH level) and if they are really dirty I suppose once a year you can use a VERY mild clear coat polish.

    If the rims are bad, you should demount, clay bar, polish and keep them nice from that point to avoid having to go balls to the wall every cleaning session.

    If you're not sure of the PH levels of cleaners just go with something that says "polished aluminum safe". Even though it's not raw polished aluminum you'd really benefit from using the weaker PH cleaner. Hell everyone should, those strong wheel cleaners over time accelerate the dry rotting process and dull the rims clear coat.

    When you are using a rim cleaner and you spray tires/rims that are perfectly clean and you keep getting brown grime, that's not grime, that is the protectant inside the black rubber to prevent dry rot/cracking and the cleaner is too strong so it's pulling all that stuff out of the rubber which is why people always say "no matter how much I clean my tires I keep pulling off brown crud". It took me a while to really believe it but once I did all of the sudden my tires could literally go 2x to 3x the amount of time and not the slightest hint of dry rot/cracking.

    Now dulling the rim's clear coat, oh man I could go on forever about that.

    All I'm trying to say is if you detail your car enough you never even need a rim cleaner, you're just wasting your money and stocking one more product. 99% of the time all you need is the left over soapy water you used to wash your car and that will be more than strong enough to clean your tires/rims (the inside of the rims too, donít forget about them). That's all I use and I save money, my rim's clear coat is clearer for a longer amount of time and I donít have to worry about the life of my tires anymore.

    I am VERY into detailing and the science behind it. It's not just using soap and water, I treat my car the same way someone treats a Bugatti from the 30's.
    Thanks for the explanation. Right now I am just using the same soap (Griot's Garage Car Wash) as I use on the paint so it looks like I will stick to that. I had wash at least once a week so they should always be easy to clean with just the soap. As you can see from the picture that its doing the job pretty well as the car is 3 months old with 4k miles.

  9. #8
    joesboat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: XTS Platinum 20" wheels

    Yeap, you're wheels look......brand new (they should anyhow). Keep doing what you're doing and you'll never need to do more than splash them with some mild soapy water.

    Let them go and you'll have bubbles in the paint, pittings, dirt so heavy it'll take hours to clean em.

    Something about looking at my 20 inch wheels and the inside of them being white glove clean gives me a smile. My wife thinks it's silly but she doesnt stop me from detailing her car weekly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting