Cadillac Owners Forum banner

OnStar vs Bluetooth

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  pissedoffwookiee 
#1 ·
When we got our XTS, we declined OnStars "minutes." Our cell plan gives us more minutes we will ever use and no roaming charges. We are grandfathered in an old AT&T plan. Will this effect in any way our use of OnStar? I wrote them (OnStar) and only got an advert. to buy minutes.

#4 ·
the minutes offer is cheap on the initial onstar orientation call, they last a year and are good when you forget your phone, your phone dies, or when you drive out of your networks calling area (this is where cell phone based vehicle telematics like ford touch or kia UVO fall down). also the in car phone has a higher wattage than a cell phone (6 vs .5 these are mandated limits) so the cars phone can reach farther, onstar has carrier agreements with pretty much every cell provider so no calling area problems (they built in this robustness because they didn't want the system to let you down when you need it most, especially the automatic crash response if your unable to communicate). i have 299 minutes left after my wife used it once to call me when she was having an issue with her iphone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.