Driver-activated automatic car doors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Driver-activated automatic car doors in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, so I don't know the proper terminology. But if you've ever tried to lean across the front seat to ...
    richardbbarger is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Driver-activated automatic car doors

Okay, so I don't know the proper terminology.

But if you've ever tried to lean across the front seat to open the passenger door (maybe the passenger's arms are full, or the weather is inclement, or the passenger lacks arm strength), you can easily see how handy it would be to just push a button on the driver's door or the dash, and, voila!, the passenger door opens automatically.

Same should be added for rear doors, so the driver can quickly help those passengers, too.

If manufacturers can put this feature on sliding van or SUV doors, shouldn't this be a no-brainer for a luxury car? The driver has controls for all the power windows; why not the doors, too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Sliding doors and windows don't intrude into the path of pedestrians or other automobiles. Not a good idea...

bjs, it seems that you have never had to reach across the front seat (or into the back seat) to help someone open the car door.

Clearly, the only time you'd use this feature would be when a passenger was approaching the car. It is no more or less safe than them opening the door themselves. And usually when you're loading the car, you're parked somewhere, not in a lane of moving traffic. And, of course, it wouldn't have to open the door fully; the distance could be adjustable, or limited to just clearing the latch.

I wouldn't think safety was an issue, for most passengers -- and drivers -- look at what's going on around them before opening any door.

It's a safety issue.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Re: Driver-activated automatic car doors

"I wouldn't think safety was an issue, for most passengers -- and drivers -- look at what's going on around them before opening any door."

On what planet do you drive? Just yesterday I saw a guy with his mp3 player in one ear, his cell phone in the other, and leaning over looking like he was trying to input something in his GPS (or fishing for something in the glove box). I think most drivers are oblivious to what's going on around them, or consider themselves masters of the universe so the world should be looking out for them.

I second the safety issue.....

Apples and kumquats, TV.

I completely agree, if the "guy with his mp3 player in one ear, his cell phone in the other, and leaning over looking like he was trying to input something in his GPS (or fishing for something in the glove box)" was >driving< at the time, he oughta be pulled over, before he hurts someone.

But, if he was on the highway, he wouldn't have been opening the door for a passenger.

It is a bit disingenuous to hijack a discussion about helping a passenger enter a parked car with a complaint about dangerous drivers.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by richardbbarger View Post
    Apples and kumquats, TV.

I completely agree, if the "guy with his mp3 player in one ear, his cell phone in the other, and leaning over looking like he was trying to input something in his GPS (or fishing for something in the glove box)" was >driving< at the time, he oughta be pulled over, before he hurts someone.

But, if he was on the highway, he wouldn't have been opening the door for a passenger.

It is a bit disingenuous to hijack a discussion about helping a passenger enter a parked car with a complaint about dangerous drivers.

The point being, if a driver is this distracted while driving, I can't imagine him/her paying MORE attention to what's going on around him when stationary. Since the originator mentions helping someone "with their arms full", he's not talking about a door simply unlatching and opening an inch or two. Sounds more like a pretty wide open swing. Combine that with an equally distracted pedestrian/bike rider/car-driver and you're looking for a lawsuit.

Lizbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTR White Diamond coat; 2000 DeVille. Sterling Silver.

even Rolls and Bentleys don't have these features, unless they are Chauffeur driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbill
    even Rolls and Bentleys don't have these features, unless they are Chauffeur driven.
    Perhaps no one has thought of/suggested a driver assist for passenger doors before now; all ideas get their start >somewhere<.

I know I've never seen it discussed elsewhere, but based on 50 years of driving experience -- apparently, more careful driving experience than discussed earlier in this thread -- it certainly would be a handy feature.

If a driver doesn't feel comfortable with his abilities, then like so many other assistive features on this fine car, he wouldn't have to use it.

rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Some cars have a power door pull like 7 series, S classes, and even Lexus LS's. Now the Corvette, XLR and the forth coming ELR have power releases so what you're asking is possible for a manufacture to do without it being a safety issue if it just releases the door like those systems. Still even a passenger can push a button with their hands full to release the door in say a Vette

Funny you ask about this though because I was just thinking why do luxury cars still have manual releases when you pull on the handle? I was watching a video of the new S-Class. It would seem that if you have your fob you should be able to just touch the handle and the door should eject/release say like the Vette door does but with a real handle. Just a thought that came to mind while watching today.

Lizbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTR White Diamond coat; 2000 DeVille. Sterling Silver.

And, why doesn't the caddy have an automatic trunk opener and closer??Some cheaper cars and SUVs have them.

Go buy them, then.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rueben44
    Some cars have a power door pull like 7 series, S classes, and even Lexus LS's. Now the Corvette, XLR and the forth coming ELR have power releases so what you're asking is possible for a manufacture to do without it being a safety issue if it just releases the door like those systems. Still even a passenger can push a button with their hands full to release the door in say a Vette

Funny you ask about this though because I was just thinking why do luxury cars still have manual releases when you pull on the handle? I was watching a video of the new S-Class. It would seem that if you have your fob you should be able to just touch the handle and the door should eject/release say like the Vette door does but with a real handle. Just a thought that came to mind while watching today.
    The CTS coupe has the same feature. It doesn't have an interior door release, it only has a button that will pop the door open. It will not swing it open and I agree that it would be a safety issue with traffic, also how far do you have it swing out? In a parking lot you run the risk of hitting the car parked next to you, where as parked near a curb it could swing out further.

When I was a kid I was riding my bike in the street along parked cars. Some guy opened his driver door without looking. I hit his open door and was launched off my bike and I landed on my back in the middle of the street. Fortunately the people driving saw it coming and they were able to stop before running over me. Now can you imagine if this feature were available and someone got seriously hurt or killed? Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.