Sunroof Rattle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Sunroof Rattle in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yesterday the sunroof started to make a noise. Sounds exactly like someone taping away on an old telegraph key pad. ...
    Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Sunroof Rattle

Yesterday the sunroof started to make a noise. Sounds exactly like someone taping away on an old telegraph key pad.
    My son who was sitting in the back said it was coming from the stationary glass panel. Front left corner. Then it went away. Then it came back and went away again. On the way home from the Mother's Day dinner it was quiet. It's probably temperature related. If I take it in and it's quiet then Iam wasting my time. Anybody else have a sunroof noise? I thought I was done with the sunroof noises when I got rid of the STS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FormerBenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS4 PLATINUM

Re: Sunroof Rattle

Hey, yeah, unfortunately I also have a rattle. It's at the dealership right now for it (among adressing some other gremlins). I traced it to the headliner. See if you have the same problem by doing this: go about 1/2 way down the headliner, on the drivers side, of the edge that bevels in toward the sunroof. Make a fist and lightly bang on it. Hear some play or rattling? Compare it with the same spot on the passenger side. The passenger side on my car is tight, makes a solid thud. All loose on the drivers side.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Both sides of the headliner seem to be equally tight and doesn't duplicate the noise when I hit it with my fist. Did your noise sound as I described mine?? Did also come and go?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    Yesterday the sunroof started to make a noise. Sounds exactly like someone taping away on an old telegraph key pad.
    My son who was sitting in the back said it was coming from the stationary glass panel. Front left corner. Then it went away. Then it came back and went away again. On the way home from the Mother's Day dinner it was quiet. It's probably temperature related. If I take it in and it's quiet then Iam wasting my time. Anybody else have a sunroof noise? I thought I was done with the sunroof noises when I got rid of the STS.
    Hello Cadjiek,

I apologize for this rattling sunroof you are randomly experiencing. I totally understand how you would not want to risk taking it into the dealership and wasting time if the issue doesn't occur while there. If there is anything you think I can assist you with, please reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBenz View Post
    Hey, yeah, unfortunately I also have a rattle. It's at the dealership right now for it (among adressing some other gremlins). I traced it to the headliner. See if you have the same problem by doing this: go about 1/2 way down the headliner, on the drivers side, of the edge that bevels in toward the sunroof. Make a fist and lightly bang on it. Hear some play or rattling? Compare it with the same spot on the passenger side. The passenger side on my car is tight, makes a solid thud. All loose on the drivers side.
    Hi FormerBenz,

I am sorry for the rattling issue and others your vehicle has been experiencing. I see that it is at the dealership currently; please let us know how that goes. We want you to enjoy your Cadillac

Regards,

Laura M.

Hi Laura,

Thanks VERY MUCH for replying. More concerning than the rattle is the fact that the car has needed to be jump-started 7 times in my driveway. I am supposed to pick the car up tomorrow but I am refusing to pick the car up unless they have replaced something that may be part of the problem. They have let the car sit and have not duplicated the problem. I asked them to get Cadillac/GM involved, not sure if they did yet since they left me a voicemail stating that the car is ready. Feel free to call the delaership on my behalf -- it's at Armen Cadillac in Plymouth Meeting, PA. I will say that their service writers and service manager have both been fantastic to work with on past issues with my new XTS. Again, thanks for any help you can provide. It is sincerely appreciated.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    Both sides of the headliner seem to be equally tight and doesn't duplicate the noise when I hit it with my fist. Did your noise sound as I described mine?? Did also come and go?
    Cadjiek: Yes, the sound was identical to yours and it comes and goes... So, maybe the rattle I discovered was unrelated. When I pick up the car I will let you know if the problem is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBenz View Post
    Hi Laura,

Thanks VERY MUCH for replying. More concerning than the rattle is the fact that the car has needed to be jump-started 7 times in my driveway. I am supposed to pick the car up tomorrow but I am refusing to pick the car up unless they have replaced something that may be part of the problem. They have let the car sit and have not duplicated the problem. I asked them to get Cadillac/GM involved, not sure if they did yet since they left me a voicemail stating that the car is ready. Feel free to call the delaership on my behalf -- it's at Armen Cadillac in Plymouth Meeting, PA. I will say that their service writers and service manager have both been fantastic to work with on past issues with my new XTS. Again, thanks for any help you can provide. It is sincerely appreciated.

----------

Cadjiek: Yes, the sound was identical to yours and it comes and goes... So, maybe the rattle I discovered was unrelated. When I pick up the car I will let you know if the problem is resolved.
    Hello FormerBenz,

Thank you for this update on your current situation. I am sorry you had to jump-start your vehicle numerous times in your driveway, I understand how frustrating that must have been! If you private message me on this forum, we can continue to interact that way. This is because I would like to get your contact information (name, address, phone number and Email address) in addition to your VIN so I can see what I can do to assist with this situation. Let me know if you picked up your vehicle yet and what the outcome is also.

Regards,

Laura M.

CADDYBLACK99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours

I'm having the same rattling noise issue. Is there an adjustment screw that is accessable without pulling down the headliner? It does appear that the sunroof glass is sagging at the front edge (when closed), no leaks as of yet but I'm sure the potential is there in the near future.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    GM-UAW. Come on guys. Its 2013. Sunroof rattles were a 1970s problem !!

Caddy Daddy.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinium 4WD 2003 EXT
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek
    I too have joined the sunroof rattle club. My car is at the dealer today to try and get this and my other problems solved. DADDY

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Daddy.com

I too have joined the sunroof rattle club. My car is at the dealer today to try and get this and my other problems solved. DADDY
    Turns out I was wrong. It was a dash rattle. Fresh out of service today with the dash rattle issue addressed. Now my dash rattles twice as much and louder. DADDY

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Daddy.com

Turns out I was wrong. It was a dash rattle. Fresh out of service today with the dash rattle issue addressed. Now my dash rattles twice as much and louder. DADDY
    As they say in NY. " Oy Vey" !

10mikeymike is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

I had the same problem and it drove me crazy. Get a short ladder and a can of good silicone lubricant. Spray it all around the entire rubber seal that completely surrounds the sunroof - front and rear. Open the roof and apply some to the rubber seal that is visible when the front portion is open as well. Make sure to let it seep into the seam between the seal and the opening in the sheet metal. Wipe off the excess and enjoy the quiet. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. This fix has lasted more than 2 months, but the other day I reapplied the silicone lubricant just to be safe. This is easy to do and the silicone won't hurt the paint. Just wipe off the excess.

Ah, the dash rattle(s).... I had one early on... If you tell your service department to make a fist and then gently pound with the pinky-side of your fist in the area on the passenger side of the car above the right side of the glovebox and above the wood trim, they will be able to duplicate it. That one is fixed in my car.

Along with the sunroof rattle which my car is in the shop for now, which at least in my car seems to be related to the drivers side headliner, the dash rattle can be duplicated by making the same fist that I described above and lightly banging just to the left of the parking brake switch. It will sound as if its the pocket compartment rattling, but I don't think that's actually the source of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBenz
    Ah, the dash rattle(s).... I had one early on... If you tell your service department to make a fist and then gently pound with the pinky-side of your fist in the area on the passenger side of the car above the right side of the glovebox and above the wood trim, they will be able to duplicate it. That one is fixed in my car.

Along with the sunroof rattle which my car is in the shop for now, which at least in my car seems to be related to the drivers side headliner, the dash rattle can be duplicated by making the same fist that I described above and lightly banging just to the left of the parking brake switch. It will sound as if its the pocket compartment rattling, but I don't think that's actually the source of the problem.
    Thank you. My dealer is too far for me so I will just crank up the music till I can get back. I hope they come up with solutions to my other problems. DADDY

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.