Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Future CUE / Nav Updates

13K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Stanman 
#1 ·
Is anyone aware of any future CUE updates beyond the current campaigns? I had mine done about a month ago and while I'm satisfied with the responsiveness of the system itself, I still find the navigation system and the detail it contains disappointing. I like everything about my XTS Platinum, but I feels it's navigation to be lacking in comparison with other cars I've owned and more specifically with the navigation system in my Lexus. I've been told by owners of other GM products that the system in their cars displays more detail than my XTS. I'm hoping GM has more plans to keep updating the existing CUE system.

#4 ·
Hello,

I agree, the map details and colors (i.e. water, parks, open spaces, golf courses) are horrible. IMHO, navigation is the heart of the CUE system. Unfortunately, it looks like the bowels. If, Laura M. at Cadillac Customer service is right and multiple departments at GM are seeing these posts, then one with decision making authority should make some positive changes to both the lack of navigation info provided and better graphics.

My TomTom 2535m (back up) beats the CUE Navigation in all respects, except having to stick it on the windshield and plug it in.

For all the hype about CUE from GM the Navigation app that I think gets used most is the least appealing of all the apps within CUE. As others have pointed out, this simply shouldn't be the case on a $60k car.

Pete

#7 ·
It is VERY odd how bad the Cadillac NAV sydtem is in terms of map detail - given the greefield approach to the car, I don't get it. I will say that Benz is far worse for map detail, but I was in a Honda the other day and the NAV was incredible. Shouldn't be this way, Cadillac! Get your act togehter and release a software update. This should be a priority. Mind blowing that someone at GM in product marketing looked at the NAV system and said it looks good eough to put in the XTS.

#8 ·
My previous 2006 ford had better detail than the CUE. Based on what zoom level you were it showed more and more street names. It also spoke the street names along with the direction of the turn which was very helpful. Also, not displaying the road your on is quite odd.

#10 ·
Come on, Cadillac, you're looking REALLY bad on this one! Update the NAV software and be done with it. Total failure bringing the NAV to market looking the way it does. Suggest you update before the 2014 is released. Reminds me of the NAV on my 2001 Range Rover - but wait, even zoomed out, that had street names!

#11 ·
I was just told that there are (just issued) 2 recall notices for my car which I purchased 5-10 weeks ago. One is for the CUE system (unknown in nature). The other is changes the programming module for the automatic seat control.

I completely agree with 10mikeymike's comments about the Nav system. My Garmin nüvi® 2457LMT at $180 is vastly superior in database content, destination programming, and (small) display content. The Garmin system also handles soft and hard compound turns very well. What is odd about the GM system is that the voice prompts seem to be accurate and knowledgeable of the street names, but the display simply sucks. The GM's display is exceptionally poor in scaling fonts properly based on your selected view magnification. And, as mentioned, street names are missing regardless of how one changes the magnification which shouldn't be necessary given current programming technology commonly used in the industry. The secondary display of the Nav map that appears with the instrument panels is absolutely worthless. I haven't seen any street id's displayed in this info panel. WHY didn't GM just contract with Garmin??? Hopefully the engineering staff reads these complaints and will provide a software update that rewrites these display problems.

I expect more from GM in paying $70,000 for this car.

Comments GM??

#12 ·
Hello TimTown,

I understand with a vehicle of this type there are certain expectations. I am sorry the current system does not meet these expectations. I don’t have information as to why vendors were selected for this system over others. But, if you would like me to set up a time to take your vehicle in for the CUE update and programming module, I am more than happy to assist.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#13 ·
Yes, I would appreciate this providing that the CUE update truly updates whatever is installed. I've written a similar note of NAV disappointment to Jake Butts of Butts Cad. In Monterey where I purchased the car. The service manager had no knowledge of whether software updates were available to fix the NAV display problems.

Do you know whether the problems I and others are experiencing are being fixed by GM?

I'm scheduled for recall service next Wednesday.

Sincerely,
Tim Townsend

#14 ·
Hello Tim,

Your CUE system update is not a recall, is a software update to enhance user experience. So what will change? When you start the vehicle with CUE in navigation the system now says “loading map” instead of a spinning yellow circle, climate icon changed to snowflake, navigation icon now show the direction the vehicle is traveling, the voice control is now much faster and more pleasant, Siri works with smartphones voice control pass-through, you can now dial directly from smartphone without hitting transfer and remain on Bluetooth, the screen goes black when the Screen faceplate is raised, you can save individual Pandora stations as favorites (ex: Today’s Hits), CUE access to stored smartphone contacts increased from 999 to 3500, improved media player device detection and functionality, map database improvements.

I see you are scheduled to take your vehicle in next Wednesday. I will follow up with you the end of next week to see how your update went and to discuss additional questions or concerns. In the meantime, feel free to private message us if you would like to discuss anything else.

Laura M.

#15 ·
I have recently purchased the Luxury Edition and recently had the CUE upgrade and I am in agreement with all the CUE concerns expressed. It is difficult to believe that GM would consider installing a poor performing Navigation system in America’s Premier Luxury Vehicle. Unfortunately GM has not responded in a positive manner in this forum that there is a GM Design Management concern over the issues reported. I believe most, if not all of us, would like to hear something other than the issue has been documented so that it can be accessed by multiple departments at General Motors. We have no way of knowing if your departments are concerned or even care!!!!! I would say in this case, “Silence” is not golden!!!!

#17 ·
I have owned my XTS Platinum with nav for a week and I am disappointed in the speed of interacting with this system. I was able to push some buttons this weekend and the car out a text box with one of those familiar I in a circle icons beside the picture of our car that we see all the time in our nav screen and it updated constantly with the street name as I moved around my city. Every time I changed streets this icon showed me the name, I thought it was a bit annoying. When I stopped the car it went away.

I guess my point is there's a lot of features they're just not readily easy to find.

#18 ·
Cadillac Cust Svc said:
Hello TimTown,

I understand with a vehicle of this type there are certain expectations. I am sorry the current system does not meet these expectations. I don’t have information as to why vendors were selected for this system over others. But, if you would like me to set up a time to take your vehicle in for the CUE update and programming module, I am more than happy to assist.

Regards,

Laura M.
I'm flabbergasted that the omission of streets and very poor font scaling has persisted since 2004!! Had I known about this and GM's behavior, I would not buy this expensive car, nor would I buy from GM again! I've seen your name and others providing the response to some internal customer sat blog before since 2004. GM mana agreement seems numb to the primary goal of any well managed company: customer satisfaction and QUALITY management!

I've arranged for the car serviced wrt this and some recalls this coming Wednesday. Know one knows whether the problems will be corrected. My dealer has sent my written disappointment to the regional sales manager. Who knows what will happen.

Regard,
Tim Townsend

#19 ·
Cadillac Cust Svc said:
Hello Tim,

Your CUE system update is not a recall, is a software update to enhance user experience. So what will change? When you start the vehicle with CUE in navigation the system now says “loading map” instead of a spinning yellow circle, climate icon changed to snowflake, navigation icon now show the direction the vehicle is traveling, the voice control is now much faster and more pleasant, Siri works with smartphones voice control pass-through, you can now dial directly from smartphone without hitting transfer and remain on Bluetooth, the screen goes black when the Screen faceplate is raised, you can save individual Pandora stations as favorites (ex: Today’s Hits), CUE access to stored smartphone contacts increased from 999 to 3500, improved media player device detection and functionality, map database improvements.

I see you are scheduled to take your vehicle in next Wednesday. I will follow up with you the end of next week to see how your update went and to discuss additional questions or concerns. In the meantime, feel free to private message us if you would like to discuss anything else.

Laura M.
SO, the PRIMARY and only issue that I've raised (missing street names; garbled fonts on map) and raised by many others isn't addressed! AND SO, the NAV system remains worthless.

#23 ·
I just got to really play with the navigation on my new ATS and I too am really disappointed in the lack of detail on the maps. For situational awareness it lacks details like streets and roads that are out in the country. I was driving out in the county and wanted to know where the next intersecting road was, but the nav display showed the little car that represents my current position located in nothing but a black background. I have to say that this navigation is the worst I have seen in a car. If I set a destination to drive to, the directions work fine and it gets me there fine. But for situational awareness just by looking at the display, it is awful.

#24 ·
The NAV system in my 2010 Corvette ZR1 s acceptable. It updates the streets fine and the font is good. It certainly is not anywhere near as good as my friend's 2013 Chrysler 300. Chrysler uses Garmin and the detail, speed, ease of use, etc. is fantastic! I have a 2014 XTS being built now and I sure hope the navigation system has improved from what I am reading here.

#26 ·
Yes, the nav system is....in a word, "tired". Honestly, I expected better from my 2014 Platinum V-Sport's nav (which I picked up two days ago). EVERYTHING else about this car is technologically cutting-edge....but the nav is circa 1999...I know because I have had GM cars with navs since that time. It is the same system.

I *shudder* to think that I need to stick my Garmin GPS on the window of my new car to get true 3-D maps with visible relief, real-time weather and traffic (linked via my phone) and (God forbid) geocaches. I would have expected things like this to be easy to include...and frankly expect to see a realistic software update to mitigate this....they solved the "get up and go" issue over the 2013 with the twin turbo....but still this giant, flat, no-lane-assist goofy nav. C'mon Cadillac....PLEASE. Get on that for us...we LOVE to see what you can do with cars that nobody else can...ditch delphi's stupid map application and retro program one of your own for us!

Thanks in advance.

#29 ·
Ok, in retrospect I have had more time with the nav and I was a bit too harsh on it and not objective enough for my own tastes.

I am used to Garmin's premium nav units.

The CUE nav has some really nice features over and above the Garmin...and a few things that could be learned. The following is based on comparing the two.

POSITIVES:
1). It *does* have a functional lane assist.
2). I really like the nav on the main display, instrument cluster (in two places, mind you) and HUD simultaneously.
3). The weather horizon is kind of interesting...although kind of a waste of space....I mean.....I can look out the window. ;)
4). Automatic rerouting to skirt changes/problems in traffic conditions is AWESOME.
5). Traffic density overlays (underplays, actually) are nicely done.
6). Showing the beginning and end of construction aid nice. Some sort of "yellow diagonal caution overlay/underlay" might be nice too.

MISSING FEATURES/PROBLEM AREAS:
1). Use the attached Bluetooth data device for true real time traffic and weather to produce map overlays with radar imagery and traffic camera snapshots.
2). Skins.
3). 3-D relief shown on map.
4). I don't know how Garmin does this but their lane assist has a "rendering" of how the exit / maneuver *really* looks! including towers! trees, etc. it's breathtaking.
5). Something is odd in the database. I tried entering my own address about ten different ways including with voice and by typing it in in various forms before it picked it up with only street and zip. I had a totally-qualified address in at one time and it failed to recognize it. Odd.
6). Map responsiveness/animation is good, but I/O is a little sluggish.
7). At one point while navigating, the entire screen sans roads turned pink...eventually went back to normal...but was weird. I'd have to call that a software glitch.
8). I set my map to 3-D...navigate....at some point it goes back to 2-D and never returns. Default views, zoom levels, detail levels, and poi "elevations" would be nice.
9). It does not seem to use the address book from my Bluetooth Droid Samsung Note II phone (uses everything else) when looking for addresses in contacts.

THINGS I HAVEN'T DISCOVERED OR FIGURED OUT IF IT HAS THESE YET:
1). Altitude.
2). Lat/Lon destination programming.
3). Use my data subscription to periodically (like when they update online) update custom POIs from my Geocache queries and show them on the screen? Yeah, this one is blue sky I know.

There is probably more here but enough for now.

#30 ·
There are some improvements I'd like to see. Better traffic coverage, my Mini reports most of the roads while CUE only shows 4 or 5 major roads then ends abruptly. I'm in the Washington DC area and need much better reporting.

Is there a way to have the map display my saved contacts like the POIs.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.