Clicking Sound In Steering Column
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Clicking Sound In Steering Column in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Has anyone experienced, with their XTS model, clicking sound coming from the steering column when turning the steering wheel left ...
    PasqualeB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS PLATINUM AWD Graphite Metallic

Clicking Sound In Steering Column

Has anyone experienced, with their XTS model, clicking sound coming from the steering column when turning the steering wheel left or right? My XTS PLATINUM, shipped in December 2012 and purchase in February 2013, is having this problem. A thread in the ATS forum, is reporting a number of owners with their 2013 ATS model hearing the same clicking sound with their steering column

Video of the sound with an ATS model:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-noise-115533/

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

Re: Clicking Sound In Steering Column

Yes. Definitely. I was calling it squeaks, but clicking is a better description. I'm planning on bringing that up at my first scheduled maintenance visit. (XTS Platinum, built in late November, delivery in December). I'm pondering the merits of having them take the wheel apart just to stop the clicking. They had to replace my 2008 STS's steering wheel 2x because the heated element stopped working, and they didn't always get it back together well.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by PasqualeB View Post
    Has anyone experienced, with their XTS model, clicking sound coming from the steering column when turning the steering wheel left or right? My XTS PLATINUM, shipped in December 2012 and purchase in February 2013, is having this problem. A thread in the ATS forum, is reporting a number of owners with their 2013 ATS model hearing the same clicking sound with their steering column

Video of the sound with an ATS model:
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-noise-115533/
    Hello PasqualeB,
    I hope you are liking your new XTS so far! I am sorry you are experiencing a clicking sound from the steering column. If you private message me on this forum with your VIN# I am more then happy to look into this issue further for you. Thanks, have a great night!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Brought my XTS into the dealer on 4-23-13, they acknowledge the trouble and opened a Technical Case. GM Technical Support apparently had some issues with one of their supplier manufacturing the Sir Coil and Sensor. New Part Numbers were given to the dealer to order and I'm currently waiting for those parts to arrive. Funny thing though, when they reassembled the steering wheel, the clicking stopped. However, GM said the issue would resurface again wanted to move forward with installing the new parts. I'll provide an update after my next dealer visit and the new parts are installed.

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

I took my XTS in for a few little things, including the steering wheel clicks. The dealership was grateful for the info I supplied from this forum. :-) They found that "the SIR coil and sensor weren't installed properly on column spindle", and they "reinstalled and fine tuned fintment to allow prop R clearance without noise". Will be interesting to see if that holds, given what PasqualeB's dealership said about the issue resurfacing without installing new parts. So far, total silence from my steering wheel.

RockvilleXTS... I shared your comments above with my dealership. Tom emailed me below additional information, so you may be OK without new parts. My parts have now arrived, the XTS is going in Tuesday. I'll issue an update later next week.

Thanks. We did notice what possibly is the same cause but were not able to reposition to a point where the interference was not there. There are at least a couple of different part numbers for different VIN's and that could be the reason some can be quieted without parts. It will be interesting to compare the new and old parts. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleXTS View Post
    I took my XTS in for a few little things, including the steering wheel clicks. The dealership was grateful for the info I supplied from this forum. :-) They found that "the SIR coil and sensor weren't installed properly on column spindle", and they "reinstalled and fine tuned fintment to allow prop R clearance without noise". Will be interesting to see if that holds, given what PasqualeB's dealership said about the issue resurfacing without installing new parts. So far, total silence from my steering wheel.
    Hello RockvilleXTS,

Glad to hear the clicking in your steering wheel was fixed. I hope this issue does not arise for you again. We are here to help with any concerns, so please let us know if we can provide assistance!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    It's funny, I was just browsing through the XTS forum tonight and and across this. Earlier tonight I was driving my 2010 Escalade and I kept hearing a clicking sound coming from the steering Column. It would only happen every few minutes. It's kinda of funny that was happening to me just a hour ago and I come across this....

Dropped off my XTS to local dealer today to resolved the clicking sound within the steering column. Below are the dealer comments and parts list. Just for the record, the steering wheel cocked to the left mentioned was not part of the original problem. When the vehicle was originally dropped off on 4/23/13 to troubleshoot, the technician did not perform the steering wheel centering learning process knowing parts had to be ordered to complete the repairs. The service technician did an excellent job at troubleshooting and resolving the problem. Vehicle was dropped off at 8:45am and picked up at 3:30pm, this case is closed.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PasqualeB View Post
    Dropped off my XTS to local dealer today to resolved the clicking sound within the steering column. Below are the dealer comments and parts list. Just for the record, the steering wheel cocked to the left mentioned was not part of the original problem. When the vehicle was originally dropped off on 4/23/13 to troubleshoot, the technician did not perform the steering wheel centering learning process knowing parts had to be ordered to complete the repairs. The service technician did an excellent job at troubleshooting and resolving the problem. Vehicle was dropped off at 8:45am and picked up at 3:30pm, this case is closed.
    Hello PasqualeB,

Thanks for updating us on your vehicle fix. I am happy to hear the technician did an amazing job with resolving your concern. Enjoy your XTS

Sincerely,

Laura M.

I asked the Service Mgr if they saw any differences between the parts they removed from the steering column with new part numbers they installed. Below I pasted his comments...

Although they are two different part numbers, there is no visible difference between the two. Each one consists of two parts that fit together and while the original parts will turn freely when they are separated and even when assembled out of the car. When fastened in the car there is contact inside when turning. The new parts turn freely when assembled as well as when fastened in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by BEarle View Post
    It's funny, I was just browsing through the XTS forum tonight and and across this. Earlier tonight I was driving my 2010 Escalade and I kept hearing a clicking sound coming from the steering Column. It would only happen every few minutes. It's kinda of funny that was happening to me just a hour ago and I come across this....
    BEarle,
    Looks like the forum is doing its job. Are you thinking about getting the clicking sound on your Escalade checked into? Keep us posted!
    Sarah, Cadillac Customer Care

rrfmdj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Premium (Nav)
    I have an XTS Platinum that has multiple rattles coming from the headliner area of the car, also from the passenger side door, and the drivers side dash area. My glovebox has been replaced as well as the storage box on the drivers side. They have taken out the headliner and tried to repair it as well as replacing all the back seat latches. The car is currently back in the shop with the same issues. The sunroof has also been adjusted and thoroughly checked. This car was purchased brand new and only has 2000 miles on it. I actually traded a 2013 Premium XTS for the Platinum for the same reason, rattles everywhere in the car. The rattles happen whether the sound system is on, or not, it also is noticeable even when the sound system has the volume cranked up. I personally believe from my experience, that the 2013 has design flaws that cause the higher level trim models to rattle. It is very upsetting to me because I have paid a high price for a business class luxury car and it's in my garage at home only occasionally, it stays at the dealership being repaired. I am a loyal Cadillac owner, having owned 5 Cadillacs now. Until the XTS I have never experienced rattles in a new Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by rrfmdj View Post
    I have an XTS Platinum that has multiple rattles coming from the headliner area of the car, also from the passenger side door, and the drivers side dash area. My glovebox has been replaced as well as the storage box on the drivers side. They have taken out the headliner and tried to repair it as well as replacing all the back seat latches. The car is currently back in the shop with the same issues. The sunroof has also been adjusted and thoroughly checked. This car was purchased brand new and only has 2000 miles on it. I actually traded a 2013 Premium XTS for the Platinum for the same reason, rattles everywhere in the car. The rattles happen whether the sound system is on, or not, it also is noticeable even when the sound system has the volume cranked up. I personally believe from my experience, that the 2013 has design flaws that cause the higher level trim models to rattle. It is very upsetting to me because I have paid a high price for a business class luxury car and it's in my garage at home only occasionally, it stays at the dealership being repaired. I am a loyal Cadillac owner, having owned 5 Cadillacs now. Until the XTS I have never experienced rattles in a new Cadillac.
    Hello rrfmdj,

I apologize that you are experiencing this issue. I just wanted to let you know that I have received your email in regards to this issue and I have responded back to you. Please let me know if you did not receive the email so I can send it again. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.