The Nav maps/detail really is poor.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, The Nav maps/detail really is poor. in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I love my XTS but the maps/street detail on the maps is really poor. In fact the detail on ...
    xlr
    xlr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The Nav maps/detail really is poor.

Hi,

I love my XTS but the maps/street detail on the maps is really poor. In fact the detail on my friends 3 year old Escalade is far better.

A map is useless unless you can see all the street names. Its by far the worst map of any car I have owned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

10mikeymike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

Re: The Nav maps/detail really is poor.

I'm with you. I too, love my XTS, but I have to agree the map detail really leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also not crazy about there only being one color for the background - Black! I've got an 11 LS460 and from what I understand, it's navigation system and maps are not as good as the current models. Despite this, it's far better than the XTS. One feature I really like is the opaque display along the bottom of the screen that clearly identifies the street you're currently driving on and it even indicates when you're on a freeway entrance ramp or exit ramp respectively. As I recall, the 10 QX56 I traded for my XTS had better map detail and I didn't like that. I just had my CUE update done this past Monday and while I'm told it was supposed to improve street detail in the map, I really don't notice that much of a difference. Hopefully, there will be further improvements which can be incorporated into existing systems via software updates

FormerBenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS4 PLATINUM

While I agree that the map detail could be better, compared to the S550 Benz that I had, the XTS map is phenomenal. It is odd though that the background is black and not "terrain." Hopefully this will come in a future update... I had me CUE update performed, and there is not difference in my map. The only noticeable thing was changing the icon for the climate control. I'm sure most of the update was behind the scenes stuff, rather than the GUI unfortunately.

xlr
    xlr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Not showing the street you are on is the biggest flaw. I dont know any current system that does not have that. I was expecting an improvement with the CUE update but like you I see nothing improved on the maps or really anywhere. The mapping is unacceptable for a luxury car. The apple maps or google maps in my phone blow the one in car one away.
    when you are lost and need the nav system you need to know what street your on and what streets are around you - its just a bunch of lines representing street with no names. Its horrible.

Its the biggest flaw of the car. I also don't understand why I can update my iphone over the internet but I have to take my car into the service dept to update the CUE? everytime they update it I have to bring my car in? Cmon Cadillac - you can do better than this!

handymantoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium XTS

I agree the nav , traffic and weather app are the biggest flaw in CUE. Terrible for luxury car. I have dropped weather and traffic thru XM until it is usable.

FormerBenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS4 PLATINUM

What's really strange about the NAV in the XTS, is that CUE is a NEW system, it is not something that GM repurposed from another car, so to see the map quality and graphics so poor is truly mind boggling. It's almost as if the maps have taken a step backwards. To XLR's point, maps on my Samsung Galaxy blow away the CUE maps. Presumably CUE has a better CPU and better graphics engine too. I really hope that Cadillac is preparing an update for CUE that will wow us. No reason it can't be done. So much of the XTS rivals many other cars, I'm not sure why they can't make a simple map look good and have street names show with ease. Seems to me that they had a bunch of engineers design the system without listening to the voice-of-the-customer.

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

I do not normally view this forum because I have an SRX. I came across this thread on a search for map colors. The comment about current street name caught my attention. I stumbled on to the solution for display of the name of the street you are on in the SRX. Touch the vehicle icon and a box will appear that gives the street name and nearest community. It is a nice feature that unfortunately must be repeated each time you restart the vehicle. It would be nice if this were a selectable option to always show the current street name.

I found this before the CUE update and the manual selection requirement each time you drive did not change.

TimTown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4 Platinum

You may find that you have to zoom in almost to the max position (and perhaps count to 10) before you see missing street names. I doubt the update improves the situation. You know, the CUI update that GM notified you about?

blackhawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    I've noticed that if I zoom in too much I lose the street name of the street I'm on. So zooming out a tad shows me the street name. Overall, the XTS nav is still superior to the 2013 ML350 my other car. I can see the turn by turn directions on the center screen, on the dash screen and on the heads up display, so would be difficult to get lost not to mention the voice directions. Car nav systems are always 2-3 years behind a portable GPS system....there is a post somewhere in this forum explaining the rationale behind that. Hope you get your update and see if that helps. I just got my XTS 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying the CUE touch controls immensely.

statredud is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

I just purchased the XTS Luxury. I am also pretty disappointed with the NAV Maps. The dealer said they are working on upgrades/changes. Anyone else know if this is true and what can we expect?

Caddy Daddy.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinium 4WD 2003 EXT
    Quote Originally Posted by statredud
    I just purchased the XTS Luxury. I am also pretty disappointed with the NAV Maps. The dealer said they are working on upgrades/changes. Anyone else know if this is true and what can we expect?
    I think an app for the internet will come sooner that we can have for a fee. Then you can get any FREE app or pay for what you think is better. DADDY

statredud is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

So how many of you have reached out to the Cadillac rep or Dealers on this? If there is not many complaining then nothing will happen. I was told by Laura that there is no known plans to upgrade the Nav system yet. Dissapointing.

Also, my screen has a black background instead of the normal nav systems lighter colored backgrounds. Is this normal? Going to swing by the dealer next week to ask about this again.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi All,

I apologize for the navigation system issues you are experiencing. I understand how this can be frustrating. I am making note of these issues, and documenting the concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

TimTown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by TimTown View Post
    You may find that you have to zoom in almost to the max position (and perhaps count to 10) before you see missing street names. I doubt the update improves the situation. You know, the CUI update that GM notified you about?
    On June 1st my 2013 XTS received the current CUE release. The NAV system is significantly better! They had both database and display problems. Street names are cleanly placed along road lines (inverted triangles are no longer used, providing that you have the map view option selected properly -- why they have option escapes me). The NAV map display on the DIC also has street names. At zoomed out position, driving on highways, street names of adjacent or nearby roads are now displayed. It's not exactly perfect, but they will be providing incremental s/w releases to fix bugs. My biggest problem is the system is not identifying all cross streets before one reaches an intersection. For me, this is a high priority bug since street signs are often poorly illuminated at night plus directions are often given in terms of intersection names. They are now even generating Freeway road signs as Garmin does. I can't speak about the integration of voice commands, but I'm very encouraged now.

--Tim

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.