Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Irregular Indentation Over Passenger Side Airbag in XTS Platinum

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnfran 
#1 ·
Has anyone else noticed an irregularly shaped indentation in the dash pad over the passenger side airbag? It appears to be the area where the airbag would inflate from in the event of an accident, but unlike other cars which have a door or a cover over the airbag, this is completely covered in the same leather as the rest of the dash pad. I'm not sure if the Platinum series has a different dash pad than other XTS models, but this is noticeable in my car. It's nothing really unsightly, but it's definitely a cosmetic imperfection that I don't think looks right.

#4 ·
I've considered bringing this to the dealers attention, but I've decided to wait for a while. I agree that it's a defect, but it may be a defect that's on every dash pad they're installing in new cars. If that's the case, I'd rather not have anyone tearing my dash apart only to install another defective pad. I think I'll wait a little longer. Hopefully, they'll have the supplier fix the root cause of this problem. Then, I'll make an issue of it with the dealer. Judging by the looks of things, it appears to be a modular component that just snaps into place on the top of the dash.

#5 ·
I looked carefully at SilverFox (Platinum) today. What I found was a slight longitudinal indentation near the start of the area, towards the windshield. The rest of the area, while noticeable had no perceptible indentation however definitely was visible as the airbag area. It seems even though it has no indentation on the three remaining sides except at the windshield side that there maybe a slight difference in the cover color OR that the area directly beneath the dash cover somehow shows through. Nothing that I am concerned about or expect that anything would be done to 'correct' it. To me it is preferable to a viable flap/door. :cool2:

#6 ·
Yes, that seems to be normal. Ours has exactly what you describe. It appears to be where the passenger side airbag is. I agree with kipsts: the slight imperfection is better than a separate, inset piece that would ruin the look of the smooth dash. It would be nice if they could work on making it perfectly flat, though, in future years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.