One Month, 1250 Miles and Finally, No More Squeaks or Rattles!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Cadjiek
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, One Month, 1250 Miles and Finally, No More Squeaks or Rattles! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, I can finally say I love my new XTS Platinum. It's been one month to the day and I ...
    10mikeymike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

One Month, 1250 Miles and Finally, No More Squeaks or Rattles!

Well, I can finally say I love my new XTS Platinum. It's been one month to the day and I finally isolated and removed a rattle that has been driving me nuts. From the day I got the car the drivers seat made a creaking sound almost every time I took a breath. If I made the slightest move it made a loud creaking / cracking sound. After 2 weeks of stuffing foam rubber under every area of the seat side moulding and under the seat back, I was able to determine it was coming from a leather covered piece of vinyl that's attached to the seat back which extends down over the back part of the seat cushion and under the seat. It's held in place under the seat by a couple of elastic straps. As it turn out, the sound was coming from the area where the vinyl backing of the cover made contact with back of the plastic seat side moulding. I solved the problem by taking a 1" X 3" piece of the "fuzzy" side of Velcro and attaching it to the inside (vinyl side) of the cover where it made contact with the seat side moulding. It's been almost 3 weeks now and not a sound! Unfortunately, after finding and fixing the source of the creaking noise coming from seat I became aware of another very annoying dull rattling sound. It sounded like 2 pieces of plastic bumping against one another. From the drivers seat it sounded as if it were coming from either the B-Pillar or C-Pillar on the passenger side. From the passenger seat it sounded like it was coming from the drivers side or the dash. From the rear seat, it sounded like it was coming from "everyhwere". Needless to say, most of the first 1250 miles on the car were spent trying to track down the sourcce of this rattle. Late last night while driving home I made a point of muting the radio so I could once again reassure myself that the rattle was indeed still there. As expected it was! When I got into my subdivision, I decided to drive around like I have been since hearing the rattle in the hopes of finally isolating the source. This time, I opened the shade on the sunroof and decided to push up on the front and rear sections of the roof. What do you know? When I pushed up on the rear section the rattle stopped. I immediately headed for my garage and as soon as I got out of the car, I banged on the outside of the rear section with my fist. Sure enough, it made the same sound and I was able to determine it was the rubber seal which surrouds both the front, sliding section and the rear fixed section. I took a can of silicone spray lubricant with a straw and sprayed it in the groove between the seal and the sheetmetal edge of the opening in the roof which surounds the all of the glass. I then wiped off the excess and now, the car is perfectly quiet and rattle free. Afterwards, I did a search on this forum and have learned that this is an issue which has plagued both CTS and SRX owners for a couple years now. It's too bad I didn't do a "creaky sunroof" search a month ago. In my defense and as information for others with an "impossible to isolate rattle" don't rule out the sunroof regardles of where the sounds seems to be coming from. Now, I can honestly say, I really like this car. So much so, that I'm now considering the possiblity of replacing my wife's 2011 LS460L with a 2014 CTS Twin Turbo when the lease expires this coming November.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: One Month, 1250 Miles and Finally, No More Squeaks or Rattles!

Congrats on your persistence and solutions. Luckily SilverFox, a Platinum, did not have any rattles that I had to deal with so my 'love' for her occurred earlier. Enjoy your ride!

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

I know your pain! I went thru that with my 07 STS. My wife got sick of me always saying " do you hear that? Can you tell where it is coming from?" The sunroof on that car drove me nuts along with control arms from day one. Took all the fun out of a new car. This XTS is such a pleasure to drive. No squeeks or rattles. By the way KIPSTS, my wife calls my XTS "The White Pegasus".
    10mikeymike and 10mikeymike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    By the way KIPSTS, my wife calls my XTS "The White Pegasus".
    Wow @Cadjiek I do like your wife's name for your XTS of The White Pegasus! I already have an Arctic Silver Metallic Porsche named SilverBox, so it just seemed logical to name my Radiant Silver Metallic XTS SilverFox

FormerBenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS4 PLATINUM

I have about 1,800 miles on my XTS4 - Platinum.... The dealership finally resolved the really bad creaking in both front seats. Turns out there were some plastic rivets that were torn and some trim pieces that were rubbing. The noise was horriffic but the seats are solid now. They even drilled out metal rivets and repaired the seat frame. I must say that the dealership was unbelieveably accomodating (Armen Cadillac in Plymouth Meeting, PA). Now, however, I have a new ratte that appears to be coming from the headliner around the right side of the sunroof.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBenz View Post
    I have about 1,800 miles on my XTS4 - Platinum.... The dealership finally resolved the really bad creaking in both front seats. Turns out there were some plastic rivets that were torn and some trim pieces that were rubbing. The noise was horriffic but the seats are solid now. They even drilled out metal rivets and repaired the seat frame. I must say that the dealership was unbelieveably accomodating (Armen Cadillac in Plymouth Meeting, PA). Now, however, I have a new ratte that appears to be coming from the headliner around the right side of the sunroof.
    FormerBenz, your problem sounds almost exactly like what I was dealing with only the solution to my seat creaking problem wasn't as major as yours seems to have been. As for the rattle that seems to be coming from the headliner or sunroof, I would encourage you to try what I did. All you have to do is spray some silicone lubricant between the rubber seal and the sheet metal opening in the roof of the car. I also opened the sunroof and wiped some of the silicone on the seal at the front of the sunroof and then I tilted it open and also wiped the lubricant on the rear of it as well as the front edge of the rear, fixed section. As indicated in my initial post, this seems to be an ongoing problem with CTS's and SRX's and fortunately, is easily resolved. Good luck with yours!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 10mikeymike View Post
    Well, I can finally say I love my new XTS Platinum. It's been one month to the day and I finally isolated and removed a rattle that has been driving me nuts. From the day I got the car the drivers seat made a creaking sound almost every time I took a breath. If I made the slightest move it made a loud creaking / cracking sound. After 2 weeks of stuffing foam rubber under every area of the seat side moulding and under the seat back, I was able to determine it was coming from a leather covered piece of vinyl that's attached to the seat back which extends down over the back part of the seat cushion and under the seat. It's held in place under the seat by a couple of elastic straps. As it turn out, the sound was coming from the area where the vinyl backing of the cover made contact with back of the plastic seat side moulding. I solved the problem by taking a 1" X 3" piece of the "fuzzy" side of Velcro and attaching it to the inside (vinyl side) of the cover where it made contact with the seat side moulding. It's been almost 3 weeks now and not a sound! Unfortunately, after finding and fixing the source of the creaking noise coming from seat I became aware of another very annoying dull rattling sound. It sounded like 2 pieces of plastic bumping against one another. From the drivers seat it sounded as if it were coming from either the B-Pillar or C-Pillar on the passenger side. From the passenger seat it sounded like it was coming from the drivers side or the dash. From the rear seat, it sounded like it was coming from "everyhwere". Needless to say, most of the first 1250 miles on the car were spent trying to track down the sourcce of this rattle. Late last night while driving home I made a point of muting the radio so I could once again reassure myself that the rattle was indeed still there. As expected it was! When I got into my subdivision, I decided to drive around like I have been since hearing the rattle in the hopes of finally isolating the source. This time, I opened the shade on the sunroof and decided to push up on the front and rear sections of the roof. What do you know? When I pushed up on the rear section the rattle stopped. I immediately headed for my garage and as soon as I got out of the car, I banged on the outside of the rear section with my fist. Sure enough, it made the same sound and I was able to determine it was the rubber seal which surrouds both the front, sliding section and the rear fixed section. I took a can of silicone spray lubricant with a straw and sprayed it in the groove between the seal and the sheetmetal edge of the opening in the roof which surounds the all of the glass. I then wiped off the excess and now, the car is perfectly quiet and rattle free. Afterwards, I did a search on this forum and have learned that this is an issue which has plagued both CTS and SRX owners for a couple years now. It's too bad I didn't do a "creaky sunroof" search a month ago. In my defense and as information for others with an "impossible to isolate rattle" don't rule out the sunroof regardles of where the sounds seems to be coming from. Now, I can honestly say, I really like this car. So much so, that I'm now considering the possiblity of replacing my wife's 2011 LS460L with a 2014 CTS Twin Turbo when the lease expires this coming November.
    10mikeymike,
    I am so glad to hear you love your new XTS Platinum. I am sorry to hear of the inconvenience of the creaking sound from seats you had in addition to the rattle. I am happy you were able to fix both issues! We love to hear customer's input on their vehicles. I am happy you are finally enjoying every aspect of your vehicle. Your wife will be a lucky woman this coming November when her lease expires. The 2014 CTS Twin Turbo is going to be a beauty! Check out this link...

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...illac-cts.html

Enjoy driving your XTS. Can't wait to hear in the future about the CTS! Let us know if you have any other vehicle concerns. We are here to help!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

CoffeeCan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Laura M., What happened to Katie... I emailed her and her link has been terminated. Will Cadillac customer service continue to serve us beyond the dealer experience.

fmatiyat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2013 XTS4 Platinum

I am glad that I am not the only one who suffered from squeaking noise!
    The last of those bad boys was coming from the perforated metal sheet that covers the front-most edge of the dashboard, touching the windshield!

I'm glad to hear that you've overcome your squeaks and rattles as well. I left my car outside last night in 30 degree weather and was greeted this morning by some of the old "squeaky seat" noise. While it was a little disappointing, I now know where it's coming from and will be back at it this afternoon with more of the "fuzzy" Velcro. Like the sunroof squeaks, I learned that squeaky seats aren't unique to the XTS's. Since this has been an ongoing issue with other models I'm surprised Cadillac has persisted in using this system for attaching the leather upholstery in this area of the seats. Certainly, there has to be a equally effective method that doesn't result in a loud annoying squeak everytime you go over a bump or move in the seat.

To be honest, my CTS-V Coupe never had any squeaks whatsoever!
    I had issues with a faulty spring inside the accelerator pedal, but that was that, and it was replaced.
    It seems that the CTS-V had an overall better build quality than my new XTS4 Platinum!
    Could it be that the XTS is manufactured in Canada, not the US?

Quote Originally Posted by fmatiyat View Post
    To be honest, my CTS-V Coupe never had any squeaks whatsoever!
    I had issues with a faulty spring inside the accelerator pedal, but that was that, and it was replaced.
    It seems that the CTS-V had an overall better build quality than my new XTS4 Platinum!
    Could it be that the XTS is manufactured in Canada, not the US?
    SilverFox (Platinum) was one of the first built and it has had no squeaks and no build issues. While I would have preferred it to have been built in good ol Detroit, I seriously doubt that having it manufactured in GM's Canadian facility has anything to do with it.

You wanna laugh at something?
    My car was pulling to the right while driving in a straight line on a flat road.. The dealership checked the steering alignment and found minor toe settings required, and did the needful... The pulling problem persisted.. When I took it back, they observed that my car leans to the right side!!! Rear suspension on the right had a height of 380mm, while the left one had a height of 410mm!! They also noticed that the front right side is also lower than the left front, but linked it to the rear self-leveling air suspension... Now the real joke starts: when they hooked up the computer to reset the suspension level trim, the function did not work properly, and returned an error of "possibly wrong vehicle", eventhough it detected my car type and VIN number!!!
    It seems the Canadian facility lacks proper quality assurance control! A Caddy should be made at home, not outside!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
    Laura M., What happened to Katie... I emailed her and her link has been terminated. Will Cadillac customer service continue to serve us beyond the dealer experience.
    Hello CoffeeCan,
    We are in the process of relocating the department. As the new Cadillac Customer Service representative I am here to assist with any issues or concerns. If there is a vehicle concern, private message us so we can be of assistance. We are here to help!

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.