Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, I have been a member here for some time but haven't posted in years. As mentioned in the ...
    sredmyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question

Hello all,

I have been a member here for some time but haven't posted in years. As mentioned in the subject, I previously owned a 2005 STS. One of the features my wife enjoyed most about that car was the passive lock\unlock of the doors base on key fob proximity. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the passive unlock to work on this new XTS. In fact I can't be for sure it even has it. It seems that to unlock the door(s) always requires pushing the button on the handle. I know this isn't a hige deal but my wife really liked the ability to just walk up to her locked car and open the door just as she would if it were unlock (no extra button pushes required). It seems unlikely to me that this much newer and MUCH higher tech car would actually be missing a feature available in previous year model Cadillacs.

Does anyone know if it does in fact have passive unlock and if so how to enable it.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question

Steve, I would be happy to investigate further for you, if you wish. Please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and I can look into this further on your behalf. (Including the last eight of your VIN in the message would be very helpful as I research.)

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

My 2011 STS unlocks when you pull on the door latch, not before, so there's a fractional second delay. Button-pushing does seem like a step backwards and requires you to use the appropriate hand.

Engelman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

When you walk up to the XTS and pull on the door handle, it opens. It is a perimeter thing. The doors will lock automatically in about 10 seconds if you are outside the car. If you are standing anywhere around the car, and the doors are locked, when you reach for the handle , and pull on it, the doors will open......Of course, at night , I recommend pressing the button on the key fob to unlock, and get the nice light show, this does not occur when you walk up to the car, and pull the handle, with the fob in your pocket.......

Quote Originally Posted by sredmyer View Post
    Hello all,

I have been a member here for some time but haven't posted in years. As mentioned in the subject, I previously owned a 2005 STS. One of the features my wife enjoyed most about that car was the passive lock\unlock of the doors base on key fob proximity. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the passive unlock to work on this new XTS. In fact I can't be for sure it even has it. It seems that to unlock the door(s) always requires pushing the button on the handle. I know this isn't a hige deal but my wife really liked the ability to just walk up to her locked car and open the door just as she would if it were unlock (no extra button pushes required). It seems unlikely to me that this much newer and MUCH higher tech car would actually be missing a feature available in previous year model Cadillacs.

Does anyone know if it does in fact have passive unlock and if so how to enable it.

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    When you walk up to the XTS and pull on the door handle, it opens. It is a perimeter thing. The doors will lock automatically in about 10 seconds if you are outside the car. If you are standing anywhere around the car, and the doors are locked, when you reach for the handle , and pull on it, the doors will open......Of course, at night , I recommend pressing the button on the key fob to unlock, and get the nice light show, this does not occur when you walk up to the car, and pull the handle, with the fob in your pocket.......
    That is exactly the behavior I am trying to get...just like my '05 STS worked. However, my XTS does not do that. Pulling on the handle when the door is locked does absolutely nothing. The only way to get it to unlock it to press the button oh the handle. I have read the manual and didn't see anything saying that it works as you describe. I have tried various settings in the CUE system but so far have not been able to achieve that functionality. Do you know what settings you have that provides this functionality?

Thanks,
    Steve

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

That is exactly the behavior I am trying to get...just like my '05 STS worked. However, my XTS does not do that. Pulling on the handle when the door is locked does absolutely nothing. The only way to get it to unlock it to press the button oh the handle. I have read the manual and didn't see anything saying that it works as you describe. I have tried various settings in the CUE system but so far have not been able to achieve that functionality. Do you know what settings you have that provides this functionality?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Hi Steve, likewise as a previous multiple STS owner I always appreciated the walk up and unlock feature. My new Volvo functions that same way, however, like you I can not find anyway to override the push-the-button-to -unlock SilverFox, my Platinum XTS. Very interested in seeing if there is a solution we have missed. Enjoy your new ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kipsts View Post
    Hi Steve, likewise as a previous multiple STS owner I always appreciated the walk up and unlock feature. My new Volvo functions that same way, however, like you I can not find anyway to override the push-the-button-to -unlock SilverFox, my Platinum XTS. Very interested in seeing if there is a solution we have missed. Enjoy your new ride!
    Thanks. Hopefully someone knows the answer. With all the configuration that is possible on these cars there is surely a way to do it.

Steve

Ismail is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS
    My dealer told me it was a safety feature,and that it could not be overwritten. That being said, I think someone had and issue with car jacking. With the older model cars if you had the key fob in a close proximity to your car anyone could get into your car!!

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to make it work the way the STS (and second-generation CTS) do. You're stuck pushing the button. My guess is that it's because the door latches themselves aren't electric like the STS/CTS. It may also have something to do with the new "pull twice on the inside door handle to unlock" feature (ala BMW), which is really convenient.

I definitely like the ability to hit the button twice on the XTS to unlock the passenger doors for others (instead of opening the door on the CTS and trying to "race" passengers to hit the unlock button inside the door before they yank on their door handle). I agree, though, that it's disappointing the outside handles on the XTS don't work the same as the STS/CTS did -- just with the addition of the button. It would be nice if Cadillac at least added this functionality on the XTS Platinum.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

In the STS, one has to set the locking/unlocking features accordingly. I certainly hope Cadillac's lawyers didn't disable another great feature.

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

The answer is correct, on the XTS you must push the button (once for drivers door, twice for passenger door and again to lock). I also had this feature on both of my SRX's (pull handle for unlock). I actually like the fact that I do not have to open the door, reach in and push the unlock button. You could set it to unlock all doors with the handle pull, but I felt this was a security issue for my wife if she was alone (apparently so did GM).

handymantoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium XTS

Check Vehicle Personalization page 5-44

Hello all,

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by handymantoo View Post
    Check Vehicle Personalization page 5-44
    It still requires you to press the button to unlock the door. Viz: "This allows the selection of what doors will unlock when using the button on the driver door to unlock the vehicle."

handymantoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium XTS

Why is pushing the button such an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by kipsts View Post
    It still requires you to press the button to unlock the door. Viz: "This allows the selection of what doors will unlock when using the button on the driver door to unlock the vehicle."

Quote Originally Posted by handymantoo View Post
    Why is pushing the button such an issue?
    It is not such an issue, however that was the query of this thread and I thought your reference to the manual was implying that you had an option to not have to press the button. Prior STS owners were used to the proximity of the key fob to open the door while the XTS requires both the proximity and the press of the button. It is not a big thing, however, without doing it you will not gain entry.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.