Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just curious, why does Engleman say that he has the feature (just pull the handle). Could it be related to ...
    carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Just curious, why does Engleman say that he has the feature (just pull the handle). Could it be related to trim level?

sredmyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Previous STS owner just bought new XTS Platinum and have a quick question

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Just curious, why does Engleman say that he has the feature (just pull the handle). Could it be related to trim level?
    From what I have been able to find out, this feature is not available on any trim level. It may have worked that way in early build cars but it doesn't in any trim level on current builds.

That said it seems certain that this could easily be added because it would only require a software change. This means the change could be be made with a simple update to CUE. Of course that doesn't mean they (Cadillac) will ever do it, just that it is much more likely than something that would require actual hardware changes like power folding mirrors.

Steve

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by sredmyer View Post
    From what I have been able to find out, this feature is not available on any trim level. It may have worked that way in early build cars but it doesn't in any trim level on current builds.

That said it seems certain that this could easily be added because it would only require a software change. This means the change could be be made with a simple update to CUE. Of course that doesn't mean they (Cadillac) will ever do it, just that it is much more likely than something that would require actual hardware changes like power folding mirrors.

Steve
    My XTS is one of the first Platinum (custom ordered) delivered and it did not/does not have the ability to open the doors merely by the proximity of the fob. I don't believe it was ever an option on the XTS.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Perhaps he doesn't lock (or auto lock) his car when he leaves it?

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by pkadanec
    The answer is correct, on the XTS you must push the button (once for drivers door, twice for passenger door and again to lock). I also had this feature on both of my SRX's (pull handle for unlock). I actually like the fact that I do not have to open the door, reach in and push the unlock button. You could set it to unlock all doors with the handle pull, but I felt this was a security issue for my wife if she was alone (apparently so did GM).
    That's how my CTS coupe works. I walk up to the car and simply open the door. I have all the audible notifications turned off so I don't know if it unlocks as I get near or if it occurs once I touch the pad (the coupe doesn't have handles). If I were to guess it would be the latter. I have it set where it unlocks both front doors, but it can be set to unlock only the driver side.

When I leave, I simply close the door and walk away and the doors lock by themselves. I never have to touch the fob for either function.

I know that the coupe is a bit different since it has the Corvette style doors that are completely electronic. The locks are logic based as opposed to a mechanism. When locking/unlocking using the interior lock button you don't hear the mechanism physically locking/unlocking. All you hear is an electronic beep.

Not sure how different it is in the XTS.

I would be surprised if the XTS doesn't have the touch sensitive door handles that would unlock as soon as you grabbed them (provided the fob is on you). My previous car (2006 Acura RL had that.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    That's how my CTS coupe works. I walk up to the car and simply open the door. I have all the audible notifications turned off so I don't know if it unlocks as I get near or if it occurs once I touch the pad (the coupe doesn't have handles). If I were to guess it would be the latter. I have it set where it unlocks both front doors, but it can be set to unlock only the driver side.

When I leave, I simply close the door and walk away and the doors lock by themselves. I never have to touch the fob for either function.

I know that the coupe is a bit different since it has the Corvette style doors that are completely electronic. The locks are logic based as opposed to a mechanism. When locking/unlocking using the interior lock button you don't hear the mechanism physically locking/unlocking. All you hear is an electronic beep.

Not sure how different it is in the XTS.

I would be surprised if the XTS doesn't have the touch sensitive door handles that would unlock as soon as you grabbed them (provided the fob is on you). My previous car (2006 Acura RL had that.
    The XTS does not have touch sensitive door handles unless you consider pressing a button the handle 'touch sensitive'.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the xts door handles work very similarly to the cts coupe door handles except they actually have a door handle

the cts coupe has a switch pad (like the corvettes)
    the xts has the button/switch

it's pretty simple and basically the same as the STS and CTS passive locking system except it gives you extra control by using the button to be able to hit it twice to unlock the other door

still no need to touch the remote transmitter (which is the main point of the whole system)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ra0007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

I think there was a previous post on this. At the time somebody said that their dealer said that the "button" system could not be changed. Hard to believe, huh? If anybody finds out differently, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    the xts door handles work very similarly to the cts coupe door handles except they actually have a door handle

the cts coupe has a switch pad (like the corvettes)
    the xts has the button/switch

it's pretty simple and basically the same as the STS and CTS passive locking system except it gives you extra control by using the button to be able to hit it twice to unlock the other door

still no need to touch the remote transmitter (which is the main point of the whole system)
    {While it certainly seems like this is getting way too much thread time} The XTS is not the same as the STS since with the STS all you need to do to open the door is have the key fob in proximity and then pull on the handle, whereas for the XTS you both need to have the key fob in proximity AND press the button to open the door, then pull on the handle. Pulling on the handle without pressing the button will not open the door as it does with the STS.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by kipsts View Post
    {While it certainly seems like this is getting way too much thread time} The XTS is not the same as the STS since with the STS all you need to do to open the door is have the key fob in proximity and then pull on the handle, whereas for the XTS you both need to have the key fob in proximity AND press the button to open the door, then pull on the handle. Pulling on the handle without pressing the button will not open the door as it does with the STS.
    Having the button allows for control of both the front door (one push) and the remaining other doors (two pushes). I don't think the proximity fob on the STS opened all the doors, and if it did, it may not have been desireable to have all four unlock at once. For me, I think the button system is preferable.

JSenecal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

My problem with the button is that you have to know if the car is already unlocked or not. Otherwise you could be locking an already unlocked car. Not a problem when you get in the car and drive away, but if you're doing a lot of in and out to load or unload the car, combinded with automatic locking, this could be problematic.

It's very annoying when my current car (Olds 98) locks just as your pulling the handle (add on alarm).

I noticed in the owners manual that it is possible to disable auto locking in this situation. Auto locking is re-enabled when you start the car.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah kipsts, i meant more like the CTS coupe system where you still have to push a button to open the door

and as Rick pointed out the button allows for more control

and the main point of the passive system is to not have to touch the remote to unlock the doors

i guess the designers thought something like "well if you have to reach out to the door to pull the handle what's the big deal with pushing the button there first? plus you can get another function out of it with a second push of the button to open all doors"

i also agree this is probably taken up too much thread time but i guess it's better than arguing about religion or politics
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I think there should be a law about how car doors open..........just kidding.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    Having the button allows for control of both the front door (one push) and the remaining other doors (two pushes). I don't think the proximity fob on the STS opened all the doors, and if it did, it may not have been desireable to have all four unlock at once.
    Correct, you have to open either front door first to open a rear door. One thing I miss from my DeVille is the pop-up trunklid.

My cousin's late husband lost his right thumb as a boy--guess he would have been SOL with an XTS.
    Actually, he became a surgeon; he had special instruments made for 4 finger use.

The Fob thing is almost a little too convenient--I'm forgetting about keys sometimes, since I have a battery-powered, push-button house door lock (which is very nice to have). At work, we leave the key in the company pickup during the day, and today I almost walked away with the key in the ignition in the middle of town.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.