Difference between Premium and Platinum?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Difference between Premium and Platinum? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know the Platinum has a different grill, what other differences are there? Some loaded up Preniums are priced higher ...
    karlk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

Difference between Premium and Platinum?

I know the Platinum has a different grill, what other differences are there? Some loaded up Preniums are priced higher that some Platinums.

I would think there wouldn't be many options that a Premium don't already have as standard equipment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dramset is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Difference between Premium and Platinum?

The big Platinum differences are:

-- Full leather interior. This might not be immediately obvious since the faux leather on the Premium is pretty convincing. But a whole herd of cows died to make a Platinum interior. Dash, console, backs of the seats, etc. Cadillac says it's higher quality leather, too.
    -- Alcantara headliner. Looks like suede.
    -- Panoramic sunroof extends over pretty much the entire cabin.
    -- Illuminated door sills

There are a few other items, like fancier finish on the brake calipers and Premium-only wheels, but that's about it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

go here
    http://www.cadillac.com/xts-luxury-s...equipment.html

use the drop down menus to choose premium and platinum

20" wheels instead of 19"
    ultraview roof standard
    rear windshield shade standard
    rear window manual shades standard
    there are also some interior treatments (leather and woodgrain) that are different
    might also be some other stuff

the premium optioned up to the base platinum is probably about as much as a platinum or even more
    then you can add some other options like the adaptive cruise (don't think it's standard on any xts trim)
    and that's how you get a premium to cost more than a platinum
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

There are 4 interior color choices with a Premium--only 2 Platinum: light gray or black seats.
    The Driver Assist Package, which includes ACC, is optional on both.
    http://www.cadillac.com/configurator...CX_Detail.html

I'll say this again until Katie notices: the side bolsters on the front seat cushions are way too high and too hard. No one over 50 or under 5'5" will like dragging their thighs over them. With all the trouble they went to on the rest of the interior, it's unbelievable they screwed up something as important as entry/exit ease.

I'm hoping the one I tried was a fluke. Otherwise, they need to offer an optional flat(ter) seat, or I'll never buy one, and I doubt I'm alone.
    rodster111 and rodster111 like this.

JSenecal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I had been just about ready to order a custom XTS when my wife and I noticed that the seats of the Luxury XTS we were sitting in were actually very uncomfortable. We then tried a Premium (the trim level I'm interested in), and it was better, but still not good. We were very surprised that a Caddy would have uncomfortable seats, we had never suspected that that might be a problem!

The specific issues are the bolsters (only 12" apart at the back, we are much wider than that!), and the seat length. Although the XTS has adjustable seat lengths, even at it's shortest it's still too long for my wife.

Does anyone know if the Platinum seats are more comfortable than those in a Premium?

Dramset is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    I'll say this again until Katie notices: the side bolsters on the front seat cushions are way too high and too hard. No one over 50 or under 5'5" will like dragging their thighs over them.
    Well, Cadillac is obviously aiming for a younger demographic with their newer cars (just look at the XTS commercials). FWIW, I'm 57 and found the seats pretty comfortable. I'm 5'10" and 170 pounds.

Engelman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

The seat bolsters are just fine. They were designed like that to offer more thigh support.

There are 4 interior color choices with a Premium--only 2 Platinum: light gray or black seats.
    The Driver Assist Package, which includes ACC, is optional on both.
    http://www.cadillac.com/configurator...CX_Detail.html

I'll say this again until Katie notices: the side bolsters on the front seat cushions are way too high and too hard. No one over 50 or under 5'5" will like dragging their thighs over them. With all the trouble they went to on the rest of the interior, it's unbelievable they screwed up something as important as entry/exit ease.

I'm hoping the one I tried was a fluke. Otherwise, they need to offer an optional flat(ter) seat, or I'll never buy one, and I doubt I'm alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    The seat bolsters are just fine. They were designed like that to offer more thigh support.
    Yeah, because so many XTS owners are pulling .8 g's barrelling down Park Avenue.

I fear Cadillac is making Oldsmobile's mistake of alienating its traditional customer base before establishing a big enough new one. There's no reason this car couldn't broaden its appeal with a few easy additional options--flatter seats (with a cloth option), a traditional radio with knobs, smaller, less garish wheels & tires with air--I won't insist on column shift, but it has its advantages. Instead, they'll waste development money on a turbo V6 that's great to have but few will order--the target audience will get an enlarged CTS or Omega instead.

The seats also pinched my butt, which isn't wide at all for an middle-aged man (6'2" and 160 lbs), which makes me wonder who they designed it for--teenagers? Perhaps if I were fatter, it would flatten the seat out more, but it was uncomfortable. When I was even skinnier , I had a Sunbird that did that somewhat. Had to put a sheepskin on it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

CLOTH seats?!@??!
    snellor and snellor like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Quote Originally Posted by JSenecal View Post
    I had been just about ready to order a custom XTS when my wife and I noticed that the seats of the Luxury XTS we were sitting in were actually very uncomfortable. We then tried a Premium (the trim level I'm interested in), and it was better, but still not good. We were very surprised that a Caddy would have uncomfortable seats, we had never suspected that that might be a problem!
    I totally disagree. The flat seats in the DTS (and the huge gap between the seat and the door armrest) are one of the things I liked least about the car. The seats in the second-generation CTS are also too flat compared to the first-generation car. Granted I'm young/tall/in shape, but I find the seats in the XTS to be fantastic. The bolstering is perfect -- just enough to keep you from sliding around in the seat when cornering (as aggressively as one would in an XTS), but not too high to be uncomfortable on a daily basis. I can't really comment on the seat length as my legs are long enough that I like extending the bottom by one notch. Your wife might try experimenting with the seat adjustment some more -- angling the bottom part down in the front might help.
    powersb and powersb like this.

Sweetness is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSenecal

The specific issues are the bolsters (only 12" apart at the back, we are much wider than that!), and the seat length. Although the XTS has adjustable seat lengths, even at it's shortest it's still too long for my wife.

Does anyone know if the Platinum seats are more comfortable than those in a Premium?
    The seats are the most important item to me when buying a car. I usually put a 100,000 miles plus on a car and spend a lot of time in the seats. I'm 250, 5-11 and like my comfort. So I spent 2 months and 2 car shows checking out all luxury cars and sat in each one. I took 5 of them home over night to really check them out.

I found only 3 cars had comfortable seats. The Hyundai Genius, the Toyota Avalon, and the Platinum XTS. The Audi A8 has nice seats (22-way adjustable), but after an hour in them you need to get out and stretch. Some cars like BMW 650 look cool but the seat bottom is like a board. Even the 750Li is too European for me.

The Platinum seat is much better than the other XTS models. And WOW are they soft to touch. Highest quality in every way. However the side supports do pinch my butt some. But each day the seat conforms better to my butt, so at 900 miles I don't even notice it much anymore. Did I mention how great they look and feel?

Considering the seat size, softness, leg room, thigh support, adjustments, looks, and access the XTS Platinum seats are the best of all the car options we have available today. However, older models of the Deville, DTS, Park Avenue, etc had more room. But thous days are long gone.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

...I'll say this again until Katie notices: the side bolsters on the front seat cushions are way too high and too hard. No one over 50 or under 5'5" will like dragging their thighs over them. With all the trouble they went to on the rest of the interior, it's unbelievable they screwed up something as important as entry/exit ease...
    Thanks for alerting me, ral! Using my name in a post definitely helps call attention to the thread quickly. I'm sorry to hear you've been frustrated with the side bolsters, and I will make sure to document your feedback where the appropriate teams can view your comments.

If you (or anyone!) would like me to document additional comments, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    CLOTH seats?!@??!
    Ultraseude, baby--it won't stick to your cheeks.

Before you were born, every Cadillac model offered two cloth choices plus leather (vinyl in Calais/series 61), each in about a dozen colors. The whole interior could match the exterior color--or not. Then they started the d'Elegance option, which had totally different seats from the standard models.
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    IThe flat seats in the DTS (and the huge gap between the seat and the door armrest) are one of the things I liked least about the car.
    That took some getting used to with my DeVille--you had to move further into the car to sit down. But the sill was wide and flat like a running board. If the door opened all the way, it was a stretch to grab it, even for my long arms. With a car full on long trips, I'd stick my 1/2 gal water jug between the seat and door. Now it seems strange to have the pillar and window so close to my head. No more leaning way over like Wm F Buckley.

I remember the first gen CTS seats fit me very well, but not the seat-mounted shoulderbelt, which cut into my collarbone. I used a bent coathanger jammed in the B pillar trim to lift it off me in the DeVille. The head restraint in the current CTS hits me in the neck. I'm going to trim off some of the foam rubber in my STS's so it won't hit me. They seem to be a smidge further back in the XTS so it just misses.

Engelman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

[

Hi Katie:

My name is John Engelman, and I currently own a 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum in Sapphire Blue with the Jet Black/Lightg Wheat interior.. The seats are absolutely perfect in this car, in spite of all the whining and complaining on the XTS forum. Many of those individuals have trouble making the transition from the ancient DTS to the fantastic XTS. Don't change a thing with the seats.

I do, however, have some concerns about the XTS. 1st, I don't understand why this car does not have Intellibeam. Is there a reason. It was on the DTS, and was implied in the Owners Manual that it had it. They need to get this aboard ASAP. 2nd, why are there no power folding mirrors? They are available on the KIA for Christ sake, a much lower class car. EVERY Cadillac, from the XTS on, should have them, no excuses! My 3rd, and final concern, is the lack of power. The 3.6L engine without aTT, is very inadequate for this 4300lb. car. They need to get the 3.6L TT into this car ASAP.

Cadillac, and GM, NEED to understand, that in order to beat the competition, grow sales, and the brand, and, live up to the reputation of "The Standard of the World"....you must BE BETTER than the competition, not equal to it. Cadillac's target goal to beat, should not be BMW, or MB, or Lexus, but Cadillac itself. Quit trying to catch these others, but rather be a Cadillac like no other ....a Standard of the World...........

Sincerely,
    John

PS I also have 2 Corvettes. A 2009 ZO6, and 2010 ZR1...

QUOTE=Cadillac Cust Svc;3242678]Thanks for alerting me, ral! Using my name in a post definitely helps call attention to the thread quickly. I'm sorry to hear you've been frustrated with the side bolsters, and I will make sure to document your feedback where the appropriate teams can view your comments.

If you (or anyone!) would like me to document additional comments, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    PS I also have 2 Corvettes. A 2009 ZO6, and 2010 ZR1...
    This could be the source of your problem. EVERY car will feel like a slug and be a piece of cake to get out of.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.