Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Difference between Premium and Platinum?

87K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Sweetness 
#1 ·
I know the Platinum has a different grill, what other differences are there? Some loaded up Preniums are priced higher that some Platinums.

I would think there wouldn't be many options that a Premium don't already have as standard equipment.

#2 ·
The big Platinum differences are:

-- Full leather interior. This might not be immediately obvious since the faux leather on the Premium is pretty convincing. But a whole herd of cows died to make a Platinum interior. Dash, console, backs of the seats, etc. Cadillac says it's higher quality leather, too.
-- Alcantara headliner. Looks like suede.
-- Panoramic sunroof extends over pretty much the entire cabin.
-- Illuminated door sills

There are a few other items, like fancier finish on the brake calipers and Premium-only wheels, but that's about it.

#3 ·
go here
http://www.cadillac.com/xts-luxury-sedan/features-specs/standard-optional-equipment.html

use the drop down menus to choose premium and platinum

20" wheels instead of 19"
ultraview roof standard
rear windshield shade standard
rear window manual shades standard
there are also some interior treatments (leather and woodgrain) that are different
might also be some other stuff

the premium optioned up to the base platinum is probably about as much as a platinum or even more
then you can add some other options like the adaptive cruise (don't think it's standard on any xts trim)
and that's how you get a premium to cost more than a platinum

#4 · (Edited)
There are 4 interior color choices with a Premium--only 2 Platinum: light gray or black seats.
The Driver Assist Package, which includes ACC, is optional on both.
http://www.cadillac.com/configurator/DDP/cadillac/US/b2c/en/2013/xts/xts/PCX_Detail.html

I'll say this again until Katie notices: the side bolsters on the front seat cushions are way too high and too hard. No one over 50 or under 5'5" will like dragging their thighs over them. With all the trouble they went to on the rest of the interior, it's unbelievable they screwed up something as important as entry/exit ease.

I'm hoping the one I tried was a fluke. Otherwise, they need to offer an optional flat(ter) seat, or I'll never buy one, and I doubt I'm alone.

#6 ·
I'll say this again until Katie notices: the side bolsters on the front seat cushions are way too high and too hard. No one over 50 or under 5'5" will like dragging their thighs over them.
Well, Cadillac is obviously aiming for a younger demographic with their newer cars (just look at the XTS commercials). FWIW, I'm 57 and found the seats pretty comfortable. I'm 5'10" and 170 pounds.

#5 ·
I had been just about ready to order a custom XTS when my wife and I noticed that the seats of the Luxury XTS we were sitting in were actually very uncomfortable. We then tried a Premium (the trim level I'm interested in), and it was better, but still not good. We were very surprised that a Caddy would have uncomfortable seats, we had never suspected that that might be a problem!

The specific issues are the bolsters (only 12" apart at the back, we are much wider than that!), and the seat length. Although the XTS has adjustable seat lengths, even at it's shortest it's still too long for my wife.

Does anyone know if the Platinum seats are more comfortable than those in a Premium?

#10 ·
I had been just about ready to order a custom XTS when my wife and I noticed that the seats of the Luxury XTS we were sitting in were actually very uncomfortable. We then tried a Premium (the trim level I'm interested in), and it was better, but still not good. We were very surprised that a Caddy would have uncomfortable seats, we had never suspected that that might be a problem!
I totally disagree. The flat seats in the DTS (and the huge gap between the seat and the door armrest) are one of the things I liked least about the car. The seats in the second-generation CTS are also too flat compared to the first-generation car. Granted I'm young/tall/in shape, but I find the seats in the XTS to be fantastic. The bolstering is perfect -- just enough to keep you from sliding around in the seat when cornering (as aggressively as one would in an XTS), but not too high to be uncomfortable on a daily basis. I can't really comment on the seat length as my legs are long enough that I like extending the bottom by one notch. Your wife might try experimenting with the seat adjustment some more -- angling the bottom part down in the front might help.

#13 · (Edited)
Ultraseude, baby--it won't stick to your cheeks.

Before you were born, every Cadillac model offered two cloth choices plus leather (vinyl in Calais/series 61), each in about a dozen colors. The whole interior could match the exterior color--or not. Then they started the d'Elegance option, which had totally different seats from the standard models.
----------

IThe flat seats in the DTS (and the huge gap between the seat and the door armrest) are one of the things I liked least about the car.
That took some getting used to with my DeVille--you had to move further into the car to sit down. But the sill was wide and flat like a running board. If the door opened all the way, it was a stretch to grab it, even for my long arms. With a car full on long trips, I'd stick my 1/2 gal water jug between the seat and door. Now it seems strange to have the pillar and window so close to my head. No more leaning way over like Wm F Buckley.

I remember the first gen CTS seats fit me very well, but not the seat-mounted shoulderbelt, which cut into my collarbone. I used a bent coathanger jammed in the B pillar trim to lift it off me in the DeVille. The head restraint in the current CTS hits me in the neck. I'm going to trim off some of the foam rubber in my STS's so it won't hit me. They seem to be a smidge further back in the XTS so it just misses.

#11 ·
JSenecal said:

The specific issues are the bolsters (only 12" apart at the back, we are much wider than that!), and the seat length. Although the XTS has adjustable seat lengths, even at it's shortest it's still too long for my wife.

Does anyone know if the Platinum seats are more comfortable than those in a Premium?
The seats are the most important item to me when buying a car. I usually put a 100,000 miles plus on a car and spend a lot of time in the seats. I'm 250, 5-11 and like my comfort. So I spent 2 months and 2 car shows checking out all luxury cars and sat in each one. I took 5 of them home over night to really check them out.

I found only 3 cars had comfortable seats. The Hyundai Genius, the Toyota Avalon, and the Platinum XTS. The Audi A8 has nice seats (22-way adjustable), but after an hour in them you need to get out and stretch. Some cars like BMW 650 look cool but the seat bottom is like a board. Even the 750Li is too European for me.

The Platinum seat is much better than the other XTS models. And WOW are they soft to touch. Highest quality in every way. However the side supports do pinch my butt some. But each day the seat conforms better to my butt, so at 900 miles I don't even notice it much anymore. Did I mention how great they look and feel?

Considering the seat size, softness, leg room, thigh support, adjustments, looks, and access the XTS Platinum seats are the best of all the car options we have available today. However, older models of the Deville, DTS, Park Avenue, etc had more room. But thous days are long gone.

#20 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply. The Avalon is another of the car's we're looking at. I hadn't checked the Platinum seats vs. the Premium seats, but will do so when I next get a chance.

I'm currently driving a 1995 Olds 98, with nice wide seats (split bench) and gentle bolsters, just enough to keep you from sliding on the seat during turns. I still happy with that car, but it is showing it's age with assorted minor problems.

Comfort is very important, I expect to be spending a lot of time in my next car! So I want to be sure to get a car I'm going to be happy with for the next decade or so.

#14 ·
[

Hi Katie:

My name is John Engelman, and I currently own a 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum in Sapphire Blue with the Jet Black/Lightg Wheat interior.. The seats are absolutely perfect in this car, in spite of all the whining and complaining on the XTS forum. Many of those individuals have trouble making the transition from the ancient DTS to the fantastic XTS. Don't change a thing with the seats.

I do, however, have some concerns about the XTS. 1st, I don't understand why this car does not have Intellibeam. Is there a reason. It was on the DTS, and was implied in the Owners Manual that it had it. They need to get this aboard ASAP. 2nd, why are there no power folding mirrors? They are available on the KIA for Christ sake, a much lower class car. EVERY Cadillac, from the XTS on, should have them, no excuses! My 3rd, and final concern, is the lack of power. The 3.6L engine without aTT, is very inadequate for this 4300lb. car. They need to get the 3.6L TT into this car ASAP.

Cadillac, and GM, NEED to understand, that in order to beat the competition, grow sales, and the brand, and, live up to the reputation of "The Standard of the World"....you must BE BETTER than the competition, not equal to it. Cadillac's target goal to beat, should not be BMW, or MB, or Lexus, but Cadillac itself. Quit trying to catch these others, but rather be a Cadillac like no other ....a Standard of the World...........

Sincerely,
John

PS I also have 2 Corvettes. A 2009 ZO6, and 2010 ZR1...

QUOTE=Cadillac Cust Svc;3242678]Thanks for alerting me, ral! Using my name in a post definitely helps call attention to the thread quickly. I'm sorry to hear you've been frustrated with the side bolsters, and I will make sure to document your feedback where the appropriate teams can view your comments.

If you (or anyone!) would like me to document additional comments, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service[/QUOTE]

#18 ·
Hi Katie -- The owner's manual, page 6-2, 6-3: Driving with Automatic High Beams
The system only activates the high beams when driving over 40 km/h (25 mph). There is a sensor near the top center of the windshield that automatically controls the system. Keep this area of the windshield clear of debris to allow for best system performance. The high-beam headlamps remain on, under the automatic control, until one of the following situations occur:

The system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps.
The system detects a preceding vehicle's taillamps.
The outside light is bright enough that high-beam headlamps are not required.
The vehicle's speed drops below 20 km/h (12 mph).

#19 ·
Thanks very much, Rockville! Indeed that section is on page 6-2 of the owners manual, and I'm going to be documenting that detail as well where the appropriate GM teams can review your reactions and feedback. If anyone would like me to investigate their individual frustrations further, please do email me (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) or send me a private message anytime.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#21 ·
I've been driving my XTS Platinum for a month now, 700 miles. I'm 64, 5'11", 185 lbs, two back surgeries - these are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced and this is my 5th Cadillac. I love this car!

That is the good news. Now the bad - how in hell can they sell a premium automobile without the Intellibeam headlights? Folding mirrors would also seem to have been an option that would be included. I just assumed both would be included, especially since the manual said so, at least the Inlellibeam. Seems like a significant omission for a $63000 vehicle. If including them cost a few hundred extra, who cares!

#22 ·
I, too, wondered about the lack of intellibeam headlights. My 08 DTS has them, along with the adaptive cruise control, so nothing new there technology-wise. There had to have been a good reason to omit them. (or the usual, save a buck mentality of car companies). Plus the fact that in reality, I rarely use them. (others may disagree).
As to the power folding mirrors, which I also rarely use, has anyone pointed out that this car is significantly narrower than the DTS, making parking lot egress/ingress a lot less of a hassle, with less need for folders. Just a thought.
One more point. My wife and I just returned from a couple of weeks on a road trip to Vegas and Phoenix. Did about 5900 kms (3600 miles). I did not see or notice ONE XTS along the way. Where are you guys??

#24 ·
MikeM2013XTS said:
I've been driving my XTS Platinum for a month now, 700 miles. I'm 64, 5'11", 185 lbs, two back surgeries - these are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced and this is my 5th Cadillac. I love this car!

That is the good news. Now the bad - how in hell can they sell a premium automobile without the Intellibeam headlights? Folding mirrors would also seem to have been an option that would be included. I just assumed both would be included, especially since the manual said so, at least the Inlellibeam. Seems like a significant omission for a $63000 vehicle. If including them cost a few hundred extra, who cares!
Mike, man I am with you. I feel shafted by GM taking away items I have always had on top end Cadillacs - Intellibeam headlights, power folding mirrors and massaging seats. And it looks like I am not alone after reviewing all the comments here. Plus one other obvious item missing on a $65,000 car is a power trunk closure. That damn trunk door - I really hate there is no easy way to close it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.