Cadillac Owners Forum banner

At times like this, I wish I were blind

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  CadStyle 
#1 ·
21 years ago, I was accepted in a vaunted sales position at a Cadillac dealership selling new Cadillacs. The reason they hired a 25 year-old recent college grad like myself who had zero experience selling cars, was because Cadillac was trying to lure a new type of customer to their brand, with the then-new 1992 Cadillac STS. At the time, the average age of Cadillac's customers was between 70 and death, so with this new model they hoped to attract a much younger customer base - the post-"yuppies" if you will.

Well within a very short while, the South Florida Cadillac store I worked at, began to put fake convertible tops on both the 1992 Seville as well as the STS, much to the chagrin of the Cadillac zone representative who came by from time-to-time. A self-important ass-hole who undoubtedly rose quite quickly through the ranks, he beseeched me about the incorrectness of putting that top on that particular model, as if I was the one who did it. I placated him best I could to people-please both my employer as well as this idealistic clown, but deep-down I knew he was right. He stated that that look was NOT the future of Cadillac, and I reluctantly (and under my breath) had to agree.

21 years later, some people (dealers) never learn. Though to be fair, they wouldn't be doing it, if there wasn't a customer buying it.
As I learned, way back then...
"THERE'S AN ASS, FOR EVERY SEAT."

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Filler door is on the passenger side where mine is. Did Cadillac make my XTS incorrectly:)

----------

Unfortunately that will retain the stereotype of old-man/woman car (no offense; I'm getting up in age myself) that Cadillac is trying to distance itself from; you just almost never see this type of atrocity (my opinion here) on the other premium brands.
I am a "young 66" and just returned from a trip to see my elderly parents in Souther New Jersey where there are "senior villages" on every other tract of land available. The atrocity that you speak of is alive and well in these communities; apparently most citizens of the area buy off the lot and the dealers, wanting to take as much money from the "seniors" as possible showcase their automobiles with the beautiful roof complement, putting an additional 8-1500 bucks in their pockets.:tisk:

#19 ·
It looks like a "photoshopped" job to me.
Yeah, well - IT'S NOT. I took the picture myself.

----------

Looks like the quarter panel has been scratched too. Right above the wheel well.
That would be a pretty hellacious scratch to be so visible on a car in the available inventory area.

It's glare.

#14 ·
Padded tops were invented to cover up cars coming down the production line that had ripples in the top so they wouldn't have to be scrapped. Even today there is no telling what kind of atrocity you might uncover if you strip one off. The worst I ever saw was to cover up outboard motor propeller tracks on a flood car.

#16 ·
I completely agree! I would have hoped, by now, that these "greedy" dealers would have gone to the "great beyond" and taken those customers with them. God, the "baby boomers", of which I am one, will get the hit for this, and probably deservedly so.

Can you see one of these tops on the flagship car, the ULS.....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Full-size car

#18 ·
what's a ULS?

the only thing i could find on a "Cadillac ULS" is some forum posts from 2004-2005 and they were talking about a rumored flagship

the photo above is a rendering of the Cadillac Ciel concept car unveiled last year at the Pebble Beach Concourse D'Elegance (but with a hard top... hence the rendering)

it has been rumored that the production car based on the Ciel will be called an LTS ... i usually stick to the official info and don't speculate because these things can change up until the very end

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.