At times like this, I wish I were blind
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, At times like this, I wish I were blind in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 21 years ago, I was accepted in a vaunted sales position at a Cadillac dealership selling new Cadillacs. The reason ...
    cardio-doc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Performance

At times like this, I wish I were blind

21 years ago, I was accepted in a vaunted sales position at a Cadillac dealership selling new Cadillacs. The reason they hired a 25 year-old recent college grad like myself who had zero experience selling cars, was because Cadillac was trying to lure a new type of customer to their brand, with the then-new 1992 Cadillac STS. At the time, the average age of Cadillac's customers was between 70 and death, so with this new model they hoped to attract a much younger customer base - the post-"yuppies" if you will.

Well within a very short while, the South Florida Cadillac store I worked at, began to put fake convertible tops on both the 1992 Seville as well as the STS, much to the chagrin of the Cadillac zone representative who came by from time-to-time. A self-important ass-hole who undoubtedly rose quite quickly through the ranks, he beseeched me about the incorrectness of putting that top on that particular model, as if I was the one who did it. I placated him best I could to people-please both my employer as well as this idealistic clown, but deep-down I knew he was right. He stated that that look was NOT the future of Cadillac, and I reluctantly (and under my breath) had to agree.

21 years later, some people (dealers) never learn. Though to be fair, they wouldn't be doing it, if there wasn't a customer buying it.
    As I learned, way back then...
    "THERE'S AN ASS, FOR EVERY SEAT."
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Well said.

As for the picture, all I can say is UGH!

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Re: At times like this, I wish I were blind

Thanks for posting. Absolutely the wrong look for this car. But if someone wants to part with his money, who am I to pass judgement?
    BTW, the fit on that gas filler door leaves a lot to be desired. (wrong side too, but that's another story).

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Unfortunately that will retain the stereotype of old-man/woman car (no offense; I'm getting up in age myself) that Cadillac is trying to distance itself from; you just almost never see this type of atrocity (my opinion here) on the other premium brands.

cardio-doc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Performance

There's a chance that that fuel door is partly open.

Good eye.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    Thanks for posting. Absolutely the wrong look for this car. But if someone wants to part with his money, who am I to pass judgement?
    BTW, the fit on that gas filler door leaves a lot to be desired. (wrong side too, but that's another story).
    Filler door is on the passenger side where mine is. Did Cadillac make my XTS incorrectly

----------

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    Unfortunately that will retain the stereotype of old-man/woman car (no offense; I'm getting up in age myself) that Cadillac is trying to distance itself from; you just almost never see this type of atrocity (my opinion here) on the other premium brands.
    I am a "young 66" and just returned from a trip to see my elderly parents in Souther New Jersey where there are "senior villages" on every other tract of land available. The atrocity that you speak of is alive and well in these communities; apparently most citizens of the area buy off the lot and the dealers, wanting to take as much money from the "seniors" as possible showcase their automobiles with the beautiful roof complement, putting an additional 8-1500 bucks in their pockets.

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

It looks like a "photoshopped" job to me. Look closely at the chrome trim at the lower corner of the back window. Doesn't match up.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Looks like the quarter panel has been scratched too. Right above the wheel well.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike View Post
    Filler door is on the passenger side where mine is. Did Cadillac make my XTS incorrectly

----------

I am a "young 66" and just returned from a trip to see my elderly parents in Souther New Jersey where there are "senior villages" on every other tract of land available. The atrocity that you speak of is alive and well in these communities; apparently most citizens of the area buy off the lot and the dealers, wanting to take as much money from the "seniors" as possible showcase their automobiles with the beautiful roof complement, putting an additional 8-1500 bucks in their pockets.
    Just a pet peeve of mine. I hate the filler door on the passenger side. I guess I've had one on the driver side for the last 20 years and have gotten used to it being there, and not having to walk around the car. Lazy me.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Needs glitzy Vogue wheels, WSW tires and gold trim package....

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Needs glitzy Vogue wheels, WSW tires and gold trim package....
    You know that somewhere in our fair country that the model you describe exists.
    MW94 and MW94 like this.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Hurl. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    Just a pet peeve of mine. I hate the filler door on the passenger side. I guess I've had one on the driver side for the last 20 years and have gotten used to it being there, and not having to walk around the car. Lazy me.
    Only my '04 F-150 and my '04 Corvette have the filler door on the driver's side. All my other vehicles had it on the passenger side. Don't know about other Cadillacs except for my XTS4 with its filler on the passenger side and my '77 Eldorado that had the filler under the license plate in the middle of the rear end under the trunk lid.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Padded tops were invented to cover up cars coming down the production line that had ripples in the top so they wouldn't have to be scrapped. Even today there is no telling what kind of atrocity you might uncover if you strip one off. The worst I ever saw was to cover up outboard motor propeller tracks on a flood car.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Be careful what you wish for. It may come true.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio-doc View Post
    21 years ago, I was accepted in a vaunted sales position at a Cadillac dealership selling new Cadillacs. The reason they hired a 25 year-old recent college grad like myself who had zero experience selling cars, was because Cadillac was trying to lure a new type of customer to their brand, with the then-new 1992 Cadillac STS. At the time, the average age of Cadillac's customers was between 70 and death, so with this new model they hoped to attract a much younger customer base - the post-"yuppies" if you will.

Well within a very short while, the South Florida Cadillac store I worked at, began to put fake convertible tops on both the 1992 Seville as well as the STS, much to the chagrin of the Cadillac zone representative who came by from time-to-time. A self-important ass-hole who undoubtedly rose quite quickly through the ranks, he beseeched me about the incorrectness of putting that top on that particular model, as if I was the one who did it. I placated him best I could to people-please both my employer as well as this idealistic clown, but deep-down I knew he was right. He stated that that look was NOT the future of Cadillac, and I reluctantly (and under my breath) had to agree.

21 years later, some people (dealers) never learn. Though to be fair, they wouldn't be doing it, if there wasn't a customer buying it.
    As I learned, way back then...
    "THERE'S AN ASS, FOR EVERY SEAT."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.