Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Key fob programming procedure?

119K views 54 replies 42 participants last post by  Rockphone 
#1 ·
Has anyone had to program a new key fob and been successful by following the procedure on Page 2-6 in the Owner Manual?

I did not receive a matching, second key fob when I took delivery of my XTS Premium late last month. After some delay I finally received a key fob yesterday with a key matched to the driver's door lock cylinder. However, when trying to program/pair/match the new key fob with the one that actually enables the car to go, the following occurred:
  1. the DIC did not display the message "READY TO LEARN ELECTRONIC KEY #2" or any other message (black screen)
  2. the car locked up (no engine start and no moving the transmission out of PARK) for ~20 minutes
  3. the new key fob was not programmed
Is there a missing step that was not included in the Owner Manual?

BTW, removing the cap over the Key Cylinder as described on Page 2-11 by using the mechanical key is not easy. I had better luck using a small flat-blade screwdriver.

#30 ·
Yes. That was the first thing I checked when it didn't work. It had a battery and then I even tried swapping batteries with my working remote and it worked with the new remote's battery. That's all good.

After going to 5 auto parts stores in the area last night, I was able to confirm that the new remote does transmit a signal. All of the places had broken remote testers. smh...

#32 · (Edited)
From the Owner's manual, Page 2-6:

"Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder on the driver door handle. Then turn the key counterclockwise, to the unlock position, five times within 10 seconds."

There doesn't seem to be much room for interpretation or ambiguity here.

CC

#34 ·
Levedr I don't know how you figured that out but after being unable to program my new GM fob per instructions in manual, I came to the forum to see if others had any problems. Like you mine would not display any dic message after the 5 key turns. I followed your instructions and amazingly....it worked. F*#@ the dealership and their $80 programming fee. I ordered he fob on eBay and the hard key from the dealer. When I picked it up today he tried to tell me that I could not program the fob myself. HAHA. Thank you very much for the info. 2013 ATS awd 3.6 Premium

#38 ·
The used key fob first has to be virginized (resetting the chip inside to become programable again) using special equipment that only large volume locksmiths have, like locksmiths that supply fobs to car dealers when keys are missing to a car. Once virginized you can program to your car using the procedures is your car manual. Thus usually easer to buy a new key fob, I saw a seller on eBay selling new fob for only $70.00 which he says is ready to program.

#41 ·
Should these instructions work for a 2018 XRS? I've tried them and no luck programming my new key fob. I'll try again later but is there any chance of completely locking myself out and borking my only working key fob? I don't want to risk it. Also, if I can't get it to work, I will try giving the dealership a call. Should this be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? Thanks for any help.

#49 ·
Hi, just to add to the conversation... I've programmed two new key fobs in my 2014 XTS with success on both counts. These were not bought from a GM parts distributor. In fact, one was purchased from Ebay and the second was purchased from a chinese vendor. For my part, this was an experiment as much as anything else. One thing I think leads to successful programming to to use the key from the "known to work" key fob, then drop that key fob in the drink holder closest to the compartment that contains your fob programmer. I followed the instructions in the owner manual. Both of the $18 ones I programmed have been working for over 2 months without a hiccup. I hope this helps...

#50 ·
FWIW, I used a valet key fob (both of the original key fobs were missing when I purchased the car), to program 2 replacements for a 2013 XTS. I did not have the DIC display when I turned the key 5 times in the driver's door. I followed the instructions posted earlier on this thread -

Revised Instructions (abbrev)
Working TX in cup holder
New TX in pocket
Key five times
Press "START"
Wait 30 or more seconds
Remove TX from pocket
Check by pushing "lock " or " Unlock" on new TX
If works Push and hold "Start" for 10 seconds
Wait 15 or longer minutes if car is locked up
Everything thing should then work

- and it works perfectly. The key fobs I ordered were off of amazon here (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WQSQ34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Thanks again to Levedr for the instructions!

#51 ·
I realize this post is old but wanted to add some info. I just reprogrammed a FOB I bought off eBay for my 2013 SRX. Like everyone no display on the DIC and I followed the procedure in the manual anyway and had no issue, just no display.

I noticed that some have trouble with their original remote and the new one (no start) after trying the procedure and there's advice in this thread to leave the car for 15 minutes or disconnect the battery.
Not necessary. Just follow the procedure in the manual or the alternate one listed here in this thread and understand there is no DIC.

If you think it failed, just press and hold the start button for 10 seconds (foot off the brake) per the instructions. Your lights will flash and your car is now out of programming mode so the old fob will work. No need to wait 15 minutes or disconnect the battery.

#55 ·
Instructions for key fob programming are in Cadillac manuals, All the manuals are available online with a quick google search. For my 2014 ELR i followed the instructions to program over and over about 20 times, then I closed the trunk (not in the ELR programming instructions) and it worked in about 20 seconds. The DIC going blank is never easy to wait. So other than close the trunk lid after the 5 turns the User Manual instructions are correct. Oh one more thing... the manual states to turn the trunk key COUNTER clockwise but the ELR trunk key can only turn clockwise so that is also wrong. Good news though it worked finally on a $29 Amazon key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.