Cadillac Owners Forum banner

XTS Auto Folding Side Mirrors

78K views 82 replies 42 participants last post by  TopherS 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to actually make the side mirrors fold automatically? I have the option enabled, however enabled or disabled does not seem to make any difference.

#34 ·
Not to dredge this up but what happened was your MSM module was programmed with the wrong calibration to show the export option for the folding mirrors. The Export versions do have them the RPO is DX1. I could probably retrofit them if people really wanted it but retail on the mirrors is $700 ish a each.

#36 ·
Sorry :) I apologize for the car electronics geek speak! MSM is memory seat module which controls the mirrors actually. If the MSM is programmed (IE during a bulletin) and the incorrect option was chosen that option (which is for export only) would show up on the infotainment. I can turn this on and off (and a bunch of other things) but unfortunately without the hardware in the mirrors as you stated it wont do anything :(

#43 ·
@fmativat: from my understanding, the folding mirrors were not part of any XTS produced here. On you next CUE update that option will disappear. The only 'autofold' one can do (unless you want to spend c.$1500 to have motors put in each mirror) is to stick your hand out the window and pull the mirror in- easy to do on the driver side, not so easy on the passenger side (unless of course you have a passenger). :cool2:

#44 ·
I think two concepts are being confused here: folding mirrors, and auto-fold function.
My XTS4 Platinume DOES in fact have an electric folding mirror; you just put the mirror selector on the middle (the button that chooses either right or left mirror), then press the mirror deflector button to the down direction (a hollow triangle pointing down, as opposed to the solid triangles that point in the other 3 directions)... Give that a try..
Now the auto-fold option that I am talking about is a feature that the mirrors will automatically fold when you turn the car off... That does not seem to work..
My car manufacturing date is September 2012, so I have a strong guess that my software is rather newer..

#45 ·
SilverFox, a fully loaded Platinum, does not have folding mirrors. All triangles on the joint mirror control switch are identical and putting it in the center of the rocker and then pushing towards the down arrow does nothing. Perhaps it was a feature on the 4 but it is not on the fwd version. As to the recency of the software, if you scan the CUE threads here you will see that almost everyone regardless of manufacture date is getting CUE updates this month, the primary difference is that on the early production models like SilverFox, you not only get the software update you get a new CUE component. :cool2:

#48 ·
Most of us who have had one or more updates to the CUE have experienced improved hepatic recognition and accuracy, more accurate and at times more speedy software responsiveness, a few new icons and some increase in street name appearance on the navigation system. Re audio, again if you review related posts, a number of us experienced sudden increases in audio and phone volume that you could not reverse and all of these issues were resolved via the software upgrades and CUE component replacement. :cool2:

#49 ·
I believe this relates to geographic distribution.. XTS was introduced only in Jan this year, here in the GCC region (I live in Dubai)..
The software version is slightly different from the US Specs.. Navigation is perfectly detailed, and audio is superb.
The only two options that we do not have here are the adaptive cruise control and the auto-brake.
Also, voice commands are not working, but I was told that this is pending a software update that would cater for the localization languages.

#55 ·
I believe this relates to geographic distribution.. XTS was introduced only in Jan this year, here in the GCC region (I live in Dubai)..
The software version is slightly different from the US Specs.. Navigation is perfectly detailed, and audio is superb.
The only two options that we do not have here are the adaptive cruise control and the auto-brake.
Also, voice commands are not working, but I was told that this is pending a software update that would cater for the localization languages.
I am in Gulf region too , and I do have adaptive cruse control and voice command, also the folding mirror you can do it by pressing the opening button on the fob key for 3 sec.

#53 ·
I may have joined this message a little late, but I don't believe folding mirrors were available on the XTS until the 2016 model year. I had 2013 Platinum and it didn't have folding mirrors. I don't recall if there was anything identified in the settings menu. I now have a 2016 Premium V and it does have them. You can fold and unfold them by holding the adjuster button down with the rocker switch centered or by holding the lock / unlock button down on the fob. They work the same way on my 2015 Yukon. I don't know if the 2014 and 2015 model years had them or not.

#56 · (Edited)
I'm researching retrofitting my 2013 Platinum with power folding mirrors. They're available on eBay for a lot less than a brand-new, unpainted part and I can re-use the original exterior mirrors without having to go through the expense of getting anything painted.

This is directed at those of you with 2015 models that DO have power folding mirrors: What is the trim level and build month on your door sticker, or better yet, the exact build date on your Build Sheet, --if you've got one?

If and when I do this mod, I'll post a complete procedure for anyone else interested.

The Auto-Folding option is a separate mod that might come later if I can get the Memory Seat module reprogrammed for a decent price after the mirror motors are installed. Currently, that feature isn't visible in the software tree on my CUE.

GM literature is of little help, judging by the responses in this thread. The brochure for the 13-14 XTS lists only manually adjustable folding mirrors. The 2015 brochure lists it as a Platinum trim feature. The 2016 brochure describes it as manually-adjustable only.

Checking mirror part numbers in GM's Parts Index isn't any more illuminating. 13-14's have the same P/Ns as do 15/16 models (which are significantly cheaper.) Most of the P/Ns listed on eBay don't cross over to primary or alternate P/Ns either.

Thanks,

CC

#62 ·
The mirrors don't "auto-fold" when you remote start. The only way to fold them remotely is the hold the lock button. This is what you enable/disable in the CUE settings. You're probably holding the lock button down before remote starting so it looks like it is one and the same. You can also hold the unlock button for a couple seconds and the mirrors will unfold. If you hold them any longer after the mirrors unfold you will roll down the windows (if you have this feature).

#65 ·
To each their own. Folding mirrors can be nice to have when backing out of a narrow garage, pulling up to a mailbox, drive-through window or toll booth. They're handy to protect the mirrors in parking lots where people often push carts between cars without any consideration for other people's vehicles.

I never had power folding mirrors until my wife's car included them, and would like this feature on my XTS.

This above info is for anyone interested in retrofitting them.

YMMV.

CC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.