Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Opinions on oil life indicator

15K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  grullon10 
#1 ·
I bought the xts4 with free oil changes. Normally I change my own oil and filter every 3000 miles.
However since it comes with the car, why pay for the oil and filter to do it myself?
Anyway, I am currently @ 4200 miles and have 35% life. This concerns me. Dealer will not do the service until 20% Life. I don't think it runs synthetic.
What are your thoughts.

#2 ·
First stop thinking "change every 3000 miles." That is old school for cars of "our youth." Even with dinosaur oil, today's engines can go 7500 miles without a problem between changes. I cannot say for certain, but I trust they are using synthetic oil and, in that case 7500-10,000 miles is OK between changes.The % of oil life is based on how you drive. Take notice that the %age goes down faster in city driving and much slower in highway driving (constant speed/miles vs stop and go/miles). BTW, this is not new; all my previous BMW's (1984, 2003, 2006, 2006, 2012) had a condition base oil minder and it would often wind up with the dealer changing the oil on the maintenance warranty every 12-13,000 miles-if you traded the car at the end of the four years, BMW would sell that car as a Certified Used Car with a complete engine warranty.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes I read page 10-8, where they discussed the proper oil specifications and viscosity grade.
They specified using oils with the dexos1 approved certification mark. They recommended SAE 5w-30 as the best
viscosity grade. Page 11-13 states ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended. One could assume that
synthetic is used from the factory with that statement.

#15 ·
I realize this is old school...but I like to do a first oil and filter change after about 1000 miles, regardless of the Owner's Manual recommendation. It's also a good time to have the dealer fix any annoying issues. After that, whatever the OM specifies.
Some manufacturers use a special breakin oil. I do not know if Cadillac is one of these. If so you are losing the benefit is you change early.

George

#7 ·
I agree with that and almost did the same. Dealer said and oil change at 500 milesnot necessary as they break them in at the factory.
I am aware the motors are broken in but still inquired to see what they would say.
If I wanted it done I would have to do it. No breakin oil change by the dealer as a scheduled maintanence.
I let it go.

#8 ·
cblove said:
I agree with that and almost did the same. Dealer said and oil change at 500 milesnot necessary as they break them in at the factory.
I am aware the motors are broken in but still inquired to see what they would say.
If I wanted it done I would have to do it. No breakin oil change by the dealer as a scheduled maintanence.
I let it go.
I received a free oil change voucher from my dealer when I purchased the car. I plan on using it at 1000 miles and then will follow the OLM change schedule.

#9 ·
Changing oil more frequently doesn't hurt but still is not necessary for proper maintenance. Keeping up with technology makes me feel older and older; like the 3000mile oil change; then with synthetic oil on the horizon, the claim was your vehicle/motorcycle came with "breakin oil" aka dinosaur oil which should be changed at 1000-3000miles and THEN you could change it to full synthetic; and now, most vehicles and bikes come with synthetic oil from the factory. On the "can you believe it" side, maybe some of you have a couple of friends like I did who would come and get my 3000 mile oil and put it in their engine in lieu of fresh oil and consider it an oil change as well as those who never changed their oil (fossil or synthetic) for as long as they owned their vehicle which was usually past 100,000 miles and had to get rid of the car because it stank from the garbage in it-but it was never in the shop except for brakes and tires.

#16 ·
CAPT Mike said:
First stop thinking "change every 3000 miles." That is old school for cars of "our youth." Even with dinosaur oil, today's engines can go 7500 miles without a problem between changes. I cannot say for certain, but I trust they are using synthetic oil and, in that case 7500-10,000 miles is OK between changes.The % of oil life is based on how you drive. Take notice that the %age goes down faster in city driving and much slower in highway driving (constant speed/miles vs stop and go/miles). BTW, this is not new; all my previous BMW's (1984, 2003, 2006, 2006, 2012) had a condition base oil minder and it would often wind up with the dealer changing the oil on the maintenance warranty every 12-13,000 miles-if you traded the car at the end of the four years, BMW would sell that car as a Certified Used Car with a complete engine warranty.
Great points Captain. I recall even the old cars of the '60s, '70s and '80s still recommended oil changes in the 7,000 mile range My memory may be off a little but this whole 3,000 mile oil change was s brilliant marketing campaign by Jiffy Lube.

Go with you Cadillac oil monitor and change at 20%.

#17 ·
A few thoughts. Cadillac and Corvettes for years factory filled with Mobil 1 synthetic. They now brand there own Dexos 1. If you go to Mobil the only oil meeting the Dexos1 spec is Mobil 1, a full synthetic oil. Synthetic oils though not sold as extended drain oil (Mfg want to keep sales volume) have the ability to not break down and can be used for extended drain. Many truck fleet use synthetic oil and go 50,000 miles between changes.

Also crankcase capacity have doubled from the 3000 mile era, that alone doubles oil change interval. You should not be concerned about longer drain intervals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.