Auto High Beams - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Auto High Beams in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Dramset I doubt Katie is equipped to evaluate the "legal and ethical" issues, if any. Fwiw I've ...
    CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Re: Auto High Beams

Quote Originally Posted by Dramset View Post
    I doubt Katie is equipped to evaluate the "legal and ethical" issues, if any. Fwiw I've pretty much memorized my XTS brochure and I can't see anything in it anywhere about auto-dimming lights. Have I missed something?
    Concur, (the Canadian Brochure doesn't have that either and brochures have disclaimers.) While the manual has a reference for this function, I understand that lately the physical manuals have a notice delivered with them that this is not available.

What I can't understand (and have mentioned before) that GM is not updating in real time the downloadable manuals (they don't even make sure that those on the Canadian and US sites are identical as to version issue, even though those manuals appear to "generic" for both countries. (at least the last time I checked some 2 weeks ago). Why take on an added (and potentially legal) problem if one doesn't have too? i.e. a prospective customer downloading the manual in order to find out more about the car before ordering one and thus correctly expecting the car will have that.

Kathy, if not already done so based on a previous post, you may wish to refer the aspect of the downloadable manuals to the appropriate party for both GM's and Customers' benefit. N.B. have just received my VIN # (after waiting 4 1/2 months) so soon I can actually drive one. LOL.

Onia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

If Katie is not equipped to evaluate the legal and ethical issues, I certainly hope somebody else is.

And Dramset missed the following on p. 21 of the (Canadian) Brochure: "Lights: Daytime running lights with automatic light control and (unrelated) Twilight Sentinel". The combination of "automatic light control" with the undeniable inclusion in of Auto High Beams as a standard feature in the Manual as well as in the predecessor models (e.g. STS) gives me a pretty good reason to believe that I paid for something I didn't get.

Incidentally, I took possession of my XTS Premium in September 2012, and since then my dealer has been, for four months, researching with GM the absence of Auto Beams without any final answers (e.g. could I get it later, in particular when GM advised me that my car hardware IS EQUIPPED with it?). Neither have I received an update of the Manual - downloadable or hard copy. Satisfied with the car otherwise, I feel frustrated about all of the above!

Dramset is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Onia View Post
    And Dramset missed the following on p. 21 of the (Canadian) Brochure: "Lights: Daytime running lights with automatic light control and (unrelated) Twilight Sentinel". The combination of "automatic light control" with the undeniable inclusion in of Auto High Beams as a standard feature in the Manual as well as in the predecessor models (e.g. STS) gives me a pretty good reason to believe that I paid for something I didn't get.
    I didn't miss it; I have the U.S. brochure. Page 21 is the latter half of a double page photo spread with no text, so we obviously have different brochures.

Quote Originally Posted by Onia View Post
    Incidentally, I took possession of my XTS Premium in September 2012, and since then my dealer has been, for four months, researching with GM the absence of Auto Beams without any final answers (e.g. could I get it later, in particular when GM advised me that my car hardware IS EQUIPPED with it?). Neither have I received an update of the Manual - downloadable or hard copy. Satisfied with the car otherwise, I feel frustrated about all of the above!
    Shrug. These things happen. There's another thread going on here which you've probably seen where apparently an early release of the CUE software allowed the user to enable "power folding mirrors", which the car also doesn't have.

So the summary is: your car doesn't have it, and won't be able to be retrofitted with it (it's a safe bet: have you ever heard of this happening? On the Audi forums some people are going bonkers trying to enable a feature that was not available on early 2012 cars but made standard later in the model run.) My advice would be not to obsess about it too much.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Can't wait to see the class action lawsuit. Oh, those unethical soulless weasels!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

CDN XTS and Onia, I see you've both been looking at the Canadian brochure, so I wanted to give you the contact information for the Customer Service team nearest you, in case you would like them to follow up on your frustrations. (My department is only equipped to handle customers who currently reside in the United States, as we do not have access to the business policies and procedures for customers outside of the United States.) http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporat...actus/overview directs you to the GM of Canada site, where you can find the phone number and online communication information to get in touch with their helpful agents.

If any USA customers would like me to document their reactions/feedback, then I'm definitely happy to do so! Please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Onia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dramset View Post
    I didn't miss it; I have the U.S. brochure. Page 21 is the latter half of a double page photo spread with no text, so we obviously have different brochures.

Shrug. These things happen. There's another thread going on here which you've probably seen where apparently an early release of the CUE software allowed the user to enable "power folding mirrors", which the car also doesn't have.

So the summary is: your car doesn't have it, and won't be able to be retrofitted with it (it's a safe bet: have you ever heard of this happening? On the Audi forums some people are going bonkers trying to enable a feature that was not available on early 2012 cars but made standard later in the model run.) My advice would be not to obsess about it too much.
    "These things happen", but they should not have been happening, particularly with the "World-Class" Cadillac. Are any of the Cadillac PR or Customer Relations people following this forum? Shouldn't they? Why don't we get a clear response from them (though Katie's tries are appreciated)?

A note: Auto Folding Mirrors are not included in the Canadian Manuals/Brochures, so I don't miss them.

@ Onia

Canadian Brochure (don't have the US one)
    See pg 23 under "A word about this Brochure"
    ......and availability. Thus there is a clear "disclaimer"

Manuals
    on Canadian site - Part # 20958490 A First Printing
    on US site - Part # 20958490 B Second Printing
    The feature under discussion is listen in both versions in section B-2 and the programming option on page 5-48 (1st printing) and 5-49 (2nd printing) has no mentioning as to "if equipt" as is listed for certain other funtions. eg. Auto Rear Defog (pg 5-45 - 1st printing - 5-46 2nd printing). HOWEVER on Page iii Introduction there is this note:

This manual describes features that
    may or may not be on your specific
    vehicle either because they are
    options that you did not purchase or
    due to changes subsequent to the
    printing of this owner manual.

Please refer to the purchase
    documentation relating to your
    specific vehicle to confirm each of
    the features found on your vehicle.

The by me bolded qoute again is a disclaimer. Notwithstanding, based on another post, GM appears to have lately placed a special note with the printed manuals that this feature is not available. I can't confirm this as while my XTS Platinum was finally built after 4 1/2 months, I do not yet have it. I certainly can appreaciate, that manuals are produced in larger volumes and ahead of time. And. in my opinion, it is certainly appropriate but prudent to simply put a brief update notice with them, rather than a full reprint each time there is a change. However, it would not be very work intensive to update the on-line versions in real time, e.g. creating already version C, etc. as any reprint would/should use those latest versions anyway. (Applicable to US and Canadian Customers - see note to Katie below)

Other references
    At least on the Canadian Cadillac's website at present under "Options & Specification" for the XTS, this feature is not listed. On the other hand it still shows the ADAPTIVE Cruise Control as "Standard" for the Platinum version notwithstanding that this also was not available at the outset but since late fall offered as an option for well over $2,000. Thus this page is not yet updated by GM, yet the function under discussion was already no longer listed, if ever, on this site. Did not check the US site and if also not updated Katie may wish to take up that issue.

In any event, while I also miss this particular feature, it's clearly not presently available and based on those "disclaimers" GM has the right to omit features notwithstanding they are listed. It's unfortunate but I have to concur with Dreamboat and not get upset but live with it.

@ Katie
    I appreaciate your note and keep that in mind if I run into any problems when I finally receive my car (have received my VIN # two days ago).
    But given I have access to the 2nd printing via the US site including the on the Canadian site missing reference material, this issue is no longer that important to me. I still believe that GM could streamline the downloadable material like manuals and probably other aspects and thus reduce work and administrative cost. E.g. when looking up the manuals, the Canadian site could just automatically link to the US site, since manuals are clearly generic for US and Canadian English speaking customers, as evidenced by many comments in both printings, starting with page iii

For vehicles first sold in Canada, substitute the name
    "General Motors of Canada Limitedfor Cadillac Motor Car Division wherever it appears in this manual.

On a side note, I now wonder if my yet to be delivered XTS will include a printed Version A or B - But not important to me as I will use the downloaded version (already placed the latest version on my iPad3) anyway as that way I can use the "search" feature. Have not yet tried if I can actually append my own notes to the PDF file i.e. if not write protected (would be nice) then I could not only delete any portions which are not applicable to me and make other notes, e.g.underline the options I selected for customers programmable functions, or add more details based on added guidelines posted on this forum, for example those posted by "codeman71" , etc. - It thus would become my very own reference version.

Given I am neither an employee of GM nor presently a shareholder, I leave the "work saving/streamlining issue" up to others

Just to provide an update to the above as to manuals after having now received my XTS Platinum on Jan 22nd, '13. Love it!!!
    • Delivered with car:
      • User Manual = Version B (appears to be the latest)
      • CUE Manual = Version C (not the latest)
    • Canadian Website
      • User Manual = Version A (obsolete)
      • CUE Manual = Version B (obsolete)
    • US Website
      • User Manual = Version B
      • CUE Manual = Version D
      • US Site also lists other documentation including a good extra CUE manual missing from the Canadian site
    To repeat, both Manuals are generic for both US and CDN users as evidenced in various comments throughout those manuals. Also, they have identical document numbers. Don’t know why the Canadian site not just has a link to the US site when looking up manuals as that would eliminate a duplicate efforts to keep website up-to-date.

There are also other documents (actually Cadillac issued apps) which I understand are distributed to the US customers on the iPad they receive. Canadian customers do not receive an iPad. Forgot where I found them but I downloaded them and installed the on my iPad
    • OnStar remote link – dual app for phone and iPad
    • Cadillac CUE – being Tutorials and Videos – very good and a must have (not the PDF one on the US site I mentioned above) Canadian users are not even being made aware of this - a shame!
    • myCadillac – a high level owner’s manual in a different format – easier to search.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.