Ats vs xts ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Ats vs xts ?? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Been reading both forums for a while and trying to decide which direction I should go. I have test drove ...
    Cyress is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ats vs xts ??

Been reading both forums for a while and trying to decide which direction I should go. I have test drove the xts 4p and know that either direction I go it will be AWD.
    While reading the xts forums it seemed like it was having some teething pains but those threads have calmed down.
    I really didn't here as much wrong ( outside of CUE and I messed with it several times and love it)min the ats forums.
    I wanted to test drive a 6 cylinder ATS but my local dealers only have the 2.5 and I know I don't want that.
    My question is did any of you drive the other car before you decided to make your final decision. Also, I'm 6'4" 245

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: Ats vs xts ??

The question is did you like the driver's seat in the XTS? Comfy wasn't it? The ATS seats are not the same. The ATS is smaller than the CTS as you may know. I drove both the CTS and the XTS and the XTS won. I bought the Premium XTS4. You are a big guy and only you can decide which you think you'll like better- roomy or tight fit; skin tight jeans or loose fit style. I like loose fit.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

They are two different cars. Even though you want AWD, the ATS starts out as a RWD car with near 50/50 weight distribution. The XTS is a front driver. The ATS is nimble sports sedan. The XTS is more of a luxury touring sedan. The ATS is smaller. The XTS larger.

It comes down to what you want. No right or wrong choice.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

The dealer gave me an ATS as loaner while my XTS was being serviced. It was a 4 banger and I was not impressed with that. Kind of noisy and unrefined. The XTS is smoooth and quiet. The ATS was also too small. I'm only 5'8" and I banged my head getting out of the ATS. No back seat leg room either. To each his own. I'm sure the V6 was probably alot smoother and quieter though. I love my XTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    The dealer gave me an ATS as loaner while my XTS was being serviced. It was a 4 banger and I was not impressed with that. Kind of noisy and unrefined. The XTS is smoooth and quiet. The ATS was also too small. I'm only 5'8" and I banged my head getting out of the ATS. No back seat leg room either. To each his own. I'm sure the V6 was probably alot smoother and quieter though. I love my XTS.
    You probably had the 2.5 (non-turbo). That engine has no business being in a Cadillac.

It was non turbo and you're absolutley right. It has no business being in a Cadillac. It was pretty peppy though.

Seriously, do you think the dealer would loan out a V series CTS or the turbo ATS unless they thought there was a good chance that you would buy it. I drove BMW's for over 10 years and gave the dealership a total exceeding $175000 for several beemers. When I brought mine in for the routine service, my loaner would be a run of the mill 3 series which was fine but not an M3 or M5 or a 6 series with the big V8. I'm not dumping on any dealer that gives you a loaner while your car is serviced; just saying don't expect the top of the line, the sporty one or the big HP model. When my XTS is serviced, I frankly don't care which model Cadillac that I receive to drive.

I never expected the dealer to give me a top of the line model. I was just expressing my impressions of the base ATS they gave me to drive. As long as I get a vehicle to drive, Iam completely satisified. I'm sure a top of the line ATS would be more satisfying, however, it's still a small car which I don't prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike
    Seriously, do you think the dealer would loan out a V series CTS or the turbo ATS unless they thought there was a good chance that you would buy it. I drove BMW's for over 10 years and gave the dealership a total exceeding $175000 for several beemers. When I brought mine in for the routine service, my loaner would be a run of the mill 3 series which was fine but not an M3 or M5 or a 6 series with the big V8. I'm not dumping on any dealer that gives you a loaner while your car is serviced; just saying don't expect the top of the line, the sporty one or the big HP model. When my XTS is serviced, I frankly don't care which model Cadillac that I receive to drive.
    Agree.

I appreciate everyone's advice and opinion on this. I knew going in that the non turbo was out of the question, that was about as smart as when Cadillac tried to rebadge and cavalier.
    I'm leaning more towards the XTS because of the room. I'm 46 and my days of white knuckling the steering wheel going around turns are long gone. I test drove the 2.0 and the v6 ats and for me to drive I couldn't fit anyone in the back behind me.
    Now I just need to decide whether to pull the trigger now or wait and see if they do something different for 2014.
    Thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Cyress View Post
    I'm leaning more towards the XTS because of the room. I'm 46 and my days of white knuckling the steering wheel going around turns are long gone. I test drove the 2.0 and the v6 ats and for me to drive I couldn't fit anyone in the back behind me.
    Hey "kid," er old man of 46?? I'm 66 and still enjoy "pushing" my Vette or riding my Harley. I know this is XTS forum not Dr. Phil, but don't think you're too old to have fun, comfort, and just raw power. The XTS provides the comfort and technology to whisper in your ear that you deserve it. For me the Harley and the Corvette provide the fun/power/I'm still a kid feeling.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Hey "kid," er old man of 46?? I'm 66 and still enjoy "pushing" my Vette or riding my Harley. I know this is XTS forum not Dr. Phil, but don't think you're too old to have fun, comfort, and just raw power. The XTS provides the comfort and technology to whisper in your ear that you deserve it. For me the Harley and the Corvette provide the fun/power/I'm still a kid feeling.
    That's what it's all about !!

Thanks for your help everyone

BreakThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe White, 2014 XTSV-Sport Black

You got it right CAPT Mike. I have the CTS-V coupe to address the other side of my personality the XTS doesn't fulfill.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike View Post
    The question is did you like the driver's seat in the XTS? Comfy wasn't it? The ATS seats are not the same. The ATS is smaller than the CTS as you may know. I drove both the CTS and the XTS and the XTS won. I bought the Premium XTS4. You are a big guy and only you can decide which you think you'll like better- roomy or tight fit; skin tight jeans or loose fit style. I like loose fit.
    Please. You love mustard stained sweatpants...

----------

As for the 2.5 not belonging in a Cadillac, wrong.

Yuppies buy 2.5 Lexus ISs like crazy. Mercedes has a less powerful base engine. Same for Audi. Economics dictate the choice and will help sell ATSs.

Years ago, proper Cadillacs were big floaty dinosaurs. And proper Cadillacs died. No one bought them. Want your uplevel ATSs and XTSs and CTSs? Make sure the base models sell at volume...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.