Ats vs xts ?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Ats vs xts ?? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; [QUOTE=thebigjimsho;3185683]Please. You love mustard stained sweatpants...[COLOR="Silver"] Hey little jimmy - I just fell off the turnip truck. Am I supposed ...
    CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: Ats vs xts ??

[QUOTE=thebigjimsho;3185683]Please. You love mustard stained sweatpants...[COLOR="Silver"]

Hey little jimmy - I just fell off the turnip truck. Am I supposed to be offended by your comment?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Only if you choose to, haha...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho

Please. You love mustard stained sweatpants...

----------

As for the 2.5 not belonging in a Cadillac, wrong.

Yuppies buy 2.5 Lexus ISs like crazy. Mercedes has a less powerful base engine. Same for Audi. Economics dictate the choice and will help sell ATSs.

Years ago, proper Cadillacs were big floaty dinosaurs. And proper Cadillacs died. No one bought them. Want your uplevel ATSs and XTSs and CTSs? Make sure the base models sell at volume...
    I guess you have a point, but BMW and Mercedes have built up such a following that I bet that if they put an air cooled engine from a circa '60s VW bug, they would still sell cars. I don't think Cadillac has built up that street cred yet. People still (ignorantly) bring up the Cimarron and that was 20 years ago.

I was on the BMW forums and there was a thread there started basically questioning why BMW has questionable reliability given their sales success and their supposed engineering prowess. There were people actually defending BMW saying that BMW is always pushing the limits, and reliability is the price you may have to pay to drive an advanced vehicle.

Bullcrap.

Now my wife's daily driver is a BMW X5. I took a chance on it, very much like I have taken a chance on the CTS after having driven Acuras for 19 years. I will say that the X5 is an impressive handling vehicle, and i do enjoy driving it. In many ways it drives like a slightly taller sports sedan. In no way does it feel like an SUV (BMW fan boys call them Sports Activity Vehicles). Having said all that, if either the X5 or the CTS become service department queens, it won't take me long to dump them and go back to the Asians.

By then hopefully Acura designers may have gotten their heads out of their asses, or maybe Lexus may have put out a fun to drive sedan, which the GS may be proving out to be.

My point is that some people will buy anything with the BMW roundel or the Mercedes star on it. Even if it's a turd.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

In addition to what gohawks63 was saying about the BMW reliability, check out the BMW Car Club of America technical Editor for the Roundel magazine. He flatly states that if you own a BMW (any model) past the four year paid maintenance warranty, it would be most wise to purchase a continuance of that warranty due to the high cost of the parts that have a tendency to fail. This coming from the tech guru for the BMW club (which is partly sponsored by BMW)! Either it's a ploy to buy new every 4 years or the "outing" of "sacred secrets."

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

When my car is being serviced, I frankly don't care which car that I receive to drive, as long as I do get one at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Agree.
    Me too.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    The dealer gave me an ATS as loaner while my XTS was being serviced. It was a 4 banger and I was not impressed with that. Kind of noisy and unrefined. The XTS is smoooth and quiet. The ATS was also too small. I'm only 5'8" and I banged my head getting out of the ATS. No back seat leg room either. To each his own. I'm sure the V6 was probably alot smoother and quieter though. I love my XTS.
    It is the same 3.6L engine that goes into the XTS, the CTS, the SRX and the ATS. Except that in the ATS it is re-tuned in a more performance setting, with higher horsepower output.

The two cars, ATS or XTS, are not really comparable as a result. The XTS is large, luxurious, impressive to all. The ATS is small, confined, and much more driver & handling oriented.

If you drive them back to back, the choice is easy. I am surprised that the ATS still manages to feel like a Cadillac - in trim, luxury, finish - but is so much more aggressive in handling. Mind you, this is not a V version.

If you drive the ATS 3.6L, the smallness factor goes away - it kind of comes with the territory. Anything larger doesn't feel right. It certainly handles like a dream, with more pickup and go than any non-V Cadillac before.

But if you need the backseat on a regular basis, go with the XTS, no question about it!

ascii42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Please. You love mustard stained sweatpants...

----------

As for the 2.5 not belonging in a Cadillac, wrong.

Yuppies buy 2.5 Lexus ISs like crazy. Mercedes has a less powerful base engine. Same for Audi. Economics dictate the choice and will help sell ATSs.

Years ago, proper Cadillacs were big floaty dinosaurs. And proper Cadillacs died. No one bought them. Want your uplevel ATSs and XTSs and CTSs? Make sure the base models sell at volume...
    The 2.5 in the IS is a V6, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies

It is the same 3.6L engine that goes into the XTS, the CTS, the SRX and the ATS. Except that in the ATS it is re-tuned in a more performance setting, with higher horsepower output.

The two cars, ATS or XTS, are not really comparable as a result. The XTS is large, luxurious, impressive to all. The ATS is small, confined, and much more driver & handling oriented.

If you drive them back to back, the choice is easy. I am surprised that the ATS still manages to feel like a Cadillac - in trim, luxury, finish - but is so much more aggressive in handling. Mind you, this is not a V version.

If you drive the ATS 3.6L, the smallness factor goes away - it kind of comes with the territory. Anything larger doesn't feel right. It certainly handles like a dream, with more pickup and go than any non-V Cadillac before.

But if you need the backseat on a regular basis, go with the XTS, no question about it!
    The 3.6L in the XTS is the LLT engine that powered the 2008-2011 CTS rated at 304hp. For the 2012+ CTS, the 3.6L was modified and received a new LFX designation. Some of the modifications included integrated heads and exhaust manifold, a composite intake manifold, revised connecting rods among other enhancements which resulted in the horsepower being bumped up to 318. I assume that the 3.6L in the ATS is also the LFX with a bit more tweaking to add another 3hp.

So technically the 3.6L in the ATS and the XTS are not the same.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    The 3.6L in the XTS is the LLT engine that powered the 2008-2011 CTS rated at 304hp. ...
    So technically the 3.6L in the ATS and the XTS are not the same.
    No, the XTS has an LFX, too. I believe the power difference comes from the different exhaust plumbing required for transverse mounting.

You are correct. I stand corrected.

CadStyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Isn't the 2014 CTS going bigger? Perhaps it will give the best of both ATS and XTS worlds and be a decent compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by CadStyle
    Isn't the 2014 CTS going bigger? Perhaps it will give the best of both ATS and XTS worlds and be a decent compromise.
    It will be bigger.

http://wot.motortrend.com/report-201...#axzz2JHQK5vTv

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    When my car is being serviced, I frankly don't care which car that I receive to drive, as long as I do get one at no charge.

Me too.
    My dealer Dave Towell always gives me a top of the line vehicle to drive.....last time it was a completely outfitted CTS Coupe.

wthomas33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX 2013 XTS4 ..had 07 DTS 01 Deville 97 elDo 86 dvll

I dropped my XTS4 off for service items today and got another XTS as my loaner at no charge of course.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

I had to walk the three miles home from my dealer last summer--through a foot of snow!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.