CUE Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, CUE Question in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; One of the training videos says that there can be up to 5 pages of apps on the center stack ...
    ArubaKid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

CUE Question

One of the training videos says that there can be up to 5 pages of apps on the center stack screen and up to 8 apps per page. What app icons can be placed there and where do they come from?

On an iPad you can acquire apps from the apps store, but where do you get them for the center stack display on the XTS?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Runch Machine is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium, 2013 SRX Premium

Re: CUE Question

This was answered in another thread by a Cadillac rep. The answer is that there are no apps yet but there will be. They did not say how they would be loaded.

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Just more distractions. Five pages of apps - how long are you going to take your eyes off the road to look? Eight apps per page - how long will it take you to pin-point what you want and press it - all the while move forward at speeds fast enough to surprise you when you finally focus on the road again.

I have Microsoft Windows 8 on a 17" screen computer and all those tiles associated with apps and programs drive me crazy trying to find the right one. But I am in an office flying my desk at no miles per hour.

Frankly, I think the CUE and some other enter screen appliances are going to cause more accidents than ever. Anytime you have to look away from the road, especially looking to the right or left, not just down at the speedometer, it throws your awareness off center and your frame of reference in a skew.

Try this. Go at a steady highway speed and hold the steering wheel. Now when everything is lined up, and you are correct on the road, look at the center stack, about the height of the nav or CUE screen. Do this for 15 - 20 seconds. don't look at the road, just the concentration point. I guarantee you will unconsciously put pressure on the steering wheel and you will drift, requiring that you have to correct your path. If it is slight this time, imaging how bad it would be after really focusing on the CUE screen looking for one of 40 apps.

r34220 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    Just more distractions. Five pages of apps - how long are you going to take your eyes off the road to look? Eight apps per page - how long will it take you to pin-point what you want and press it - all the while move forward at speeds fast enough to surprise you when you finally focus on the rod again.

I have Microsoft Windows 8 on a 17" screen computer and all those tiles associated with apps and programs drive me crazy trying to find the right one. But I am in an office flying my desk at no miles per hour.

Frankly, I think the CUE and some other enter screen appliances are going to cause more accidents than ever. Anytime you have to look away from the road, especially looking to the right or left, not just down at the speedometer, it throws your awareness off center and and your frame of reference in a skew.

Try this. Go at a steady highway speed and hold the steering wheel. Now when everything is lined up, and you are correct on the road, look at the center stack, about the height of the nav or CUE screen. Do this for 15 - 20 seconds. don't look at the road, just the concentration point. I guarantee you will put pressure on the steering wheel and you will drift, requiring that you have to correct your path. If it is slight this time, imaging how bad it would be after really focusing on the CUE screen looking for one of 40 apps.

That is why there is a Driver Assist Package

Quote Originally Posted by r34220 View Post
    That is why there is a Driver Assist Package

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    Just more distractions. . . . Frankly, I think the CUE and some other enter screen appliances are going to cause more accidents than ever.
    I agree 100% to your well worded post, Lifer, and even though I've owned many Cadillacs over a period of many years, I will not buy a vehicle with this type of system -- not because I cannot operate it, but rather because I do not respect it. Next vehicle will be purchased within the month, and it will not be a Cadillac for the first time in 25 years.

If anyone has ever known someone who has been killed by someone who thought they could text and drive (same as multiple swiping on a CUE screen while driving), and where that texting driver only got 45 days in jail, then maybe they would understand . . . or maybe not.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by rayle View Post
    I agree 100% to your well worded post, Lifer, and even though I've owned many Cadillacs over a period of many years, I will not buy a vehicle with this type of system -- not because I cannot operate it, but rather because I do not respect it. Next vehicle will be purchased within the month, and it will not be a Cadillac for the first time in 25 years.

If anyone has ever known someone who has been killed by someone who thought they could text and drive (same as multiple swiping on a CUE screen while driving), and where that texting driver only got 45 days in jail, then maybe they would understand . . . or maybe not.

Anyone remember the 1987 series Riviera with the digital dash and center info display? Almost drove into a tree with that one while changing the climate control setting, and it was many times simplier than CUE. What makes me chuckle is how today's car reviews marvel at all these video game display dashes. When the Riviera dash came out the car reviews called it distracting and a gimmick. But back then you also talked to people instead of sending them a text message.....

Dramset is offline Cadillac Owners Member

At 56, I sometimes worry if I'm turning into an Old Fart. However, it's clear from the posts here that I'm not even within sight of that yet.

This isn't your car. If you're not willing to put the rather minimal time and effort into learning how to use CUE safely and effectively (hint: you can do almost anything with voice commands without taking your eyes off the road), then pick up your shawl and walker and shuffle off somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramset View Post
    At 56, I sometimes worry if I'm turning into an Old Fart. However, it's clear from the posts here that I'm not even within sight of that yet.

This isn't your car. If you're not willing to put the rather minimal time and effort into learning how to use CUE safely and effectively (hint: you can do almost anything with voice commands without taking your eyes off the road), then pick up your shawl and walker and shuffle off somewhere else.

Now, now, now. We do thank you for declaring who can express an opinion on this forum and who can't..... You related to BigShmo??

For the Masters of the Universe who walk around with their iPad, iPhone, Blackberry in their pockets and iTunes plugged into their ears, CUE may be a wonderful addition. And all the interconnect possibilities I'm sure are so exciting they make your toes curl. But it is a bit of a video game/toy and certainly doesn't make the car better handling, smoother riding, or improve performance. Personally I would have preferred that Cadillac gave us a V8 (less of a Buick, more of a Cadillac drivetrain) and included the auto-headlight dimming, Rain-sense wipers, trunk pulldown among other things and left me with a few buttons.
    Lifer and Lifer like this.

Dramset is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    Now, now, now. We do thank you for declaring who can express an opinion on this forum and who can't..... You related to BigShmo??
    Why, I never said he couldn't express an opinion; I was merely noting that from my point of view it was a stupid opinion.

When someone says he "Doesn't respect" the car and will never buy another, that's a pretty extreme position, don't you think? Sure, CUE and systems like it are quite different from what most of us grew up with, and their plethora of features and functions can be intimidating, especially if you're trying to figure it out while you're driving.

Distracted driving is nothing new. 50 years ago, people routinely crashed their cars adjusting the radio or opening a vent window. If you're buying a car with an elaborate set of in-vehicle navigation and electronic functions, the obvious thing to do is to spend some quality time getting to know the system while the car's sitting in your driveway.

A little judgement goes a long way, and those willing to invest a little time in learning to operate the features of their new car safely will reap the benefits.

cblove is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 BMW 535ix M Sport & 2010 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Dramset View Post
    Why, I never said he couldn't express an opinion; I was merely noting that from my point of view it was a stupid opinion.

When someone says he "Doesn't respect" the car and will never buy another, that's a pretty extreme position, don't you think? Sure, CUE and systems like it are quite different from what most of us grew up with, and their plethora of features and functions can be intimidating, especially if you're trying to figure it out while you're driving.

Distracted driving is nothing new. 50 years ago, people routinely crashed their cars adjusting the radio or opening a vent window. If you're buying a car with an elaborate set of in-vehicle navigation and electronic functions, the obvious thing to do is to spend some quality time getting to know the system while the car's sitting in your driveway.

A little judgement goes a long way, and those willing to invest a little time in learning to operate the features of their new car safely will reap the benefits.
    Agree^^^

I love the cue and have no problem operating it while driving. For those of you who cannot chew gum and walk at the same time, it may not be for you.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cblove View Post

Agree^^^

I love the cue and have no problem operating it while driving. For those of you who cannot chew gum and walk at the same time, it may not be for you.
    lulz.

BigShmo approves...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramset

I too agree. While I haven't played with CUE, I have driven cars with infotainment systems and the key is whether they have good voice recognition.

In my last Acura and in my CTS I use(d) the VR almost exclusively. What is even better with CUE is that you don't have to remember specific phrases and just use natural speech.

Having a distraction in your car is not quite the same as chewing gum and walking down the street (also known as double tasking, like doing your homework while watching TV and playing the record player real loud, all at the same time...). Just as it is totally unsafe to text while driving or watch a movie on the nav screen if you are driving, it is totally unsafe to hunt for something below the sight line of the road and then to the right of the driver. Even looking at the map on the nav screen is a distraction. We are not talking about Captain Ultra-cool, the driver. We are talking about the average driver, at any age, who needs to know what is front of the vehicle at any speed above zero. Don't look down in your lap for that bite of food that slipped. Don't look up and admire the view through the sun roof. Don't watch the radio while you change stations, or adjust the AC (I love ergonomic buttons that can be felt for identification). Don't reach around into the back seat to grab the dog or a noisy child. Don't search the glove box for a lost item (notice that this receptacle is always on the right side of the car - away from the driver).

Aircraft pilots are taught (and I taught this as an instructor) to learn the layout of every switch, lever, and fuse in the cockpit and learn the touch-feel so that when you are busy concentrating on really dumb things like take off and landing, you can adjust what is required without looking away from the area of supreme interest - that what is in front of you. Later, when at altitude, in a cruise mode, and either the auto-pilot is on or you are trimmed up real tight, then look up things. But not until.

In summary, I realize we are in the technology consumption mode and automobiles and airplanes are going to have some really neat gadgets in the very near future. But just also understand their shortcomings. And your shortcomings.

I think the problem here is the critics assume that if you're commenting negatively about the car and they don't see anything wrong, then obviously you must be commenting about their judgement as well. Why else would you label someone else's opinion as "stupid". It's different. And perhaps what they look for in a car is a bit different than what someone else is looking for. But calling his opinion "stupid" is, well, stupid. After all, we're not talking about Obama supporters.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.