Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Technical Info on Audio System in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone knows where I can find some answers to the following? Phoned Cadillac but they had no info. As to ...
- 12-11-12 09:17 PM #1Cadillac Owners Fanatic
- Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum ->2016 CT6 Platinum
- Join Date
- Dec 2012
- Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Technical Info on Audio System
Anyone knows where I can find some answers to the following? Phoned Cadillac but they had no info.
As to the CD Player:
Based on the Manual the CD player only plays music from a standard Music C/D, or MP3/WMA from a CD-R or CD-RW, although it seem to be able to read Blu-ray and DVD disc but only for Video apps on vehicles with rear seat entertainment. (Manual 7-13) Here is where the CUE infortainment manual differs and it is not clear, that if having an RSE system, car comes actually with a different drive or a totally separate drive in the rear. It does state that Audio from a Blu-ray/DVD/CD player can be heard through (among others) the vehicle speakers. So here I am confused as to whether for example a DVD with MP3's is supported without an RSE system.
Anyway, to avoid constantly shuffelling disks in and out while driving, the USB port or SD card port would be for me the preferred way to "load" a larger amount of personal music, assuming a MP3 DVD does not work without RSE. Also preferable to discs on rough roads. Yes, there is the AUX port, for playing MP3/WMA formated music, but I like the basically "hidden away" USB stick and even more "hidded" SD type cards and no cords.
As to the USB port:
- I have been unable to find any info as to what type is supported. USB 1, 1.1, 2, or 3 Yes the host device may (or may not) be able to read any of these and users should know. I doubt the "2013" XTS would would have an older than USB2 port.
- Then I was unable to find any information as to what formatting formats are supported, i.e. Fat, Fat32, NTFS, HPS Plus, Ext2, Unix File System
- If using an iPod, iPhone or iPad via USB connection: what firmware versions are supported by the Infotainment System? (would hate to update firmware on such and then find out it no longer works in the XTS via USB - (manual 7-15)
As to the SD card port:
Here too I was unable to find out what type is supported by the host device (Infotainment System)
- There are different physical sizes (Standard, Mini and Micro) - (Have not yet received my car to make a visual check.)
There are different types as to capacity (SD, SDHC, SDXC) Which are supported - only the low volume SD?
- As to speed classes, I would assume the host device would support any class and yes, for both USB and SD, playing MP3's doesn't required a "top" speed.
- 12-24-12 03:29 PM #2
Re: Technical Info on Audio System
- bumb -
- should probably be moved to CUE section.
It's a shame such data relative to the ports coming with CUE is not in the manual under, say, specifications and no feedback on this by GM. Even my wife's manual for her 09 Cobalt reads USB2.
Also would suggest that GM perhaps posts a threat under the CUE system/or a special webpage as to which smart phones including software/firmware details have been tested by them with CUE and results. A simple reference note could be placed with the printed Manuals to look up that threat/web page. I for one presently do not have a phone but looking to buy one. Obviously I like a late model but without such info, I have no idea on what to buy. Same with an SD card. Not sure though if the printed manuals have such additional information, since I will not get my XTS until early Feb/13 based on latest info, in which case my comments may be incorrect..