Questions About Window Tinting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By CAPT Mike
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Questions About Window Tinting in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; JTinMi's picture of his XTS with tinted windows looks very nice. I think I will have tinting done when I ...
    ArubaKid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Questions About Window Tinting

JTinMi's picture of his XTS with tinted windows looks very nice. I think I will have tinting done when I get mine delivered (whenever THAT is). I know nothing about window tinting, so here goes:

How much does it cost?
    Does the dealership usually do it?
    What do the percent numbers mean?
    Is the front window usually done too? At the same darkness?
    Are there any state laws to be aware of?

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

Re: Questions About Window Tinting

I was wondering the same thing, so I've been hunting around for information this morning. Trying to find the actual legal sites for my state proved too daunting, but I did find this site (which may or may not be accurate): http://www.tri-statewindowtint.com/u...tint-laws.html

Just plug in your state and see what it says. Any tinting company in your state will surely know the legal % requirements and could give you an estimate on cost.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

If your state has inspection stations, stop by one and they will tell you what %. Usually the front window is verboten. Use an independent window tinter. The tint companies will do whatever you want so don't rely on their take on the law. On the other hand, dark tint is very cool until you start driving more at night and people come up to your window when you're stopped by a light to ask what you charge for a nickel bag.
    allgm and allgm like this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    I have 35% all around on my CTS coupe. That number is usually a pretty good compromise. Not too dark, and the law will generally leave you alone, even if you tinted the front side windows. My wife's BMW X5 has 15% all around and that is a tad too dark, especially at night. We may have to go lighter.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I do 35 percent on all my cars because when you combine the tint that is already in the windows from the factory it keeps me over the 28 percent rule for my state.
    I also,don't want to do anything that would give the popo a reason to stop me and have to deal with a fixit ticket.
    My wife decided to do 30 percent on the front windows of her tahoe and I don't like driving it at night.

----------

I do 35 percent on all my cars because when you combine the tint that is already in the windows from the factory it keeps me over the 28 percent rule for my state.
    I also,don't want to do anything that would give the popo a reason to stop me and have to deal with a fixit ticket.
    My wife decided to do 30 percent on the front windows of her tahoe and I don't like driving it at night.

ArubaKid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Does having a tinted back window harm radio reception or interfere with the rear window defogger?

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaKid
    Does having a tinted back window harm radio reception or interfere with the rear window defogger?
    As long as you don't get a metallic tint it will be fine. I have had four cars with factory NAV that I have tinted the windows and I have never had an issue.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Do your homework as to your state or province's laws. If you run into a cop who's having a bad day, you may have to pay the piper.
    On an aside, while shopping for my wife's Cruze, we saw a sharp Camaro on the show room floor tinted on three sides. I asked my saleman if it was legal (considering it's straight from the dealer, and not after market). He told me the dealer makes the buyer sign a waiver (presumably to cover their butts if and when the local leos stop you).

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

I recommend finding a good "tint guy" to do the job rather than having it done at the dealer, who will likely end up just farming out the job to a said "tint guy." I have a friend who is a Porsche tech, and he put me in touch with the guy who does tint for the local VW, Audi and Porsche dealerships. He did a great job and charged me $250 to front and rear windows on my CTS. He did it in my office parking structure while I worked. I went with a 35% -- I agree with the above poster above who said it provides you with a nice look, but doesn't seem to get attention from police and doesn't get too dark at night. My 2 centavos.

longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I did 35% tint front/rear and had the car wrapped all for $750 was very please with the results.

wrtxts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum
    What do you mean by "wrapped"?

Quote Originally Posted by wrtxts
    What do you mean by "wrapped"?
    Generally a clear wrap that is applied to the exterior of a car. Most people usually do the front clip (hood, front fenders and bumper) to protect against road rash (stone and gravel chips from highway driving).

Now I said "generally" because you can also wrap your entire car and change the complete appearance. One of the more popular things people are doing is wrapping their cars in a matte black finish.

Not my thing, but very popular with the younger set.

longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Clear bra front end, lights,trunk lip, mirrors, 4/door edges, door opener cup well, rocker panels both and half the hood. I had a lot of damage on the front of my 2011 Avalon, from road debris and bugs. I didn't want to go through that again, especially with us planning several road trips in it. I must say the piece of mind was worth the price I paid. Plus it's not even noticeable and very easy to clean off

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.