XTS glove box won't open
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS glove box won't open in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I love my new xts! But my glove box won't open most of the time. Occasionally, it works on the ...
    ljl&jll is offline Cadillac Owners Member

XTS glove box won't open

I love my new xts! But my glove box won't open most of the time. Occasionally, it works on the second or third time. Is there something I can do until I get time to take it to the dealer, Especially if I need my registration cause I get caught going too fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: XTS glove box won't open

The touch controls needs to be treated "tenderly." Smashing the button won't make the glove box open better or the CUE controls function better. Press gently and it will work.

The mechanism is making an unlock sound. It appears to be the left side lock that is binding. The right side seems to be free after the unlock button is pressed.

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

It's interesting that the XTS is having this problem, too. My 2011 Coupe glove box has never opened properly. We thank the gods when it chooses to open on the first press of the button, which is about 20% of the time. Thankfully, we don't need to get in there very often, but when we do, it is a challenge.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

when the door is closed, does it looked aligned? If not, binding could occur. When you close the door, do you push it with enought force to latch both sides (again forcefully but not slamming it shut)? If you're doing this right and it still hangs up, I am at a loss...it's dealer time.

PeteK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon, 1972 Eldorado Convertible

It looks like you may be having a known issue. There's a PI listed in this month's GM Techlink newsletter:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-co...ink-2012-F.pdf

XTS — Repair guidelines for intermittent, partial or no power glove box function DO: Repair glove box. DON'T: Replace glove box. REF: PI0778

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It's a known issue. As PeteK posted above, there is a document showing dealers how to repair the issue. Call your service department and make an appointment to have it taken care of.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Thanks to everyone for your help. I am sure they will fix it.

webrobby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by ljl&jll View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your help. I am sure they will fix it.
    Glad I found this thread, it does make me feel a bit better. I had my car form7 days and the glove box makes a noise but will not open. Of course it started Friday night so I had to wait until Monday to get it in for service.

TimTown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4 Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by webrobby

Glad I found this thread, it does make me feel a bit better. I had my car form7 days and the glove box makes a noise but will not open. Of course it started Friday night so I had to wait until Monday to get it in for service.
    On my 2013 XTS, it takes a gentle nudge on the door to the close position and a soft tap on the open button and then it opens (sometimes). I'm taking the car in to have it serviced.

Fbodfather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS and some Camaros.

I took my XTS in to Don Gooley Cadillac for a creak in the front seat. I'd forgotten to mention the glove box issue (the right side had a larger gap than the left...)

I was delighted that when I picked up the car, they noticed the gap - and fixed it without being told about it.

THAT'S great customer service!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbodfather View Post
    I took my XTS in to Don Gooley Cadillac for a creak in the front seat. I'd forgotten to mention the glove box issue (the right side had a larger gap than the left...)

I was delighted that when I picked up the car, they noticed the gap - and fixed it without being told about it.

THAT'S great customer service!
    Hello Fbodfather,

I am happy to hear about this! That is great customer service, and sounds like an awesome dealership. Glad to know your vehicle concerns were taken care of.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the glovebox issue with the XTS is a known service campaign right now
    the techs are supposed to try and operate the glovebox ten times and if it fails to open any of those ten times it gets replaced

call a dealer and schedule an appointment ... get it fixed and be happy
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Should it be called "glove box" or "hidden CD drive"? LOL. Once you placed the manuals inside, you may just have enough space for a pair of driving gloves. - not heavy winter gloves.

TimTown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS4 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    the glovebox issue with the XTS is a known service campaign right now
    the techs are supposed to try and operate the glovebox ten times and if it fails to open any of those ten times it gets replaced

call a dealer and schedule an appointment ... get it fixed and be happy
    In my case, touching the open button did activate the latch mechanisms, but regardless of the times I tried, it just would not open; UNLESS I gently pushed on the upper left side of the door, and then touched the open button. The technician stated that he had to adjust the length of a cable (I presume in a clamp or some such). It now works fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.