Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XTS glove box won't open

Re: XTS glove box won't open

ok cool

good to know

thanks for the update

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

If all else fails, Harbor freight has a sale on crow bars this week.

GFK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS

Well, I see the issue has been around for awhile. I have had a 2014 XTS since Nov. 2014 and have had an issue with the glove box (and driver side door) not working since. The glove box was replaced in Oct. 2015. Yet, the issue still exists. I took the vehicle to a dealership yesterday, and it did not find a problem. When I picked the vehicle up after hours, the glove box would not open. So, I called Cadillac's 1-800 number to see if it was a known issue. All I got was there is not a service bulletin on it (which does not mean it is not a known issue).

It seems to be a poor design issue. Instead of using one push rod release, two could have been used (one for each side of the glove box). The part could not cost that much (less than $20.00 I suspect). Or, the release could engage for more than a fraction of a second, maybe two seconds. The issue seems to show itself more when the interior is hot. After the vehicle cools, the glove box will open.

I was supposed to receive a called back from Cadillac within 24 hours to explore possibilities of resolving the issue. Well, it is now 9PM, and the office closes at 9PM. So, I guess I will not be contacted within 24 hours. Mind you, I contacted Cadillac around 8PM yesterday. Therefore, it has been 25+ hours since I contacted them.

I do like the style. But, one does not spend thousands of dollars to be nagged by simple things. Glove boxes do not appear to be that complicated. You push a button, and it opens. How can that get messed up? And, we wonder why people are buying less domestic name product. Unfortunately, there seems to be an issue with getting simple things right which in the long run hurts the whole country.

buzz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium, 2016 Acadia Denali

GM does have an update kit for this; your dealer should be aware of this...

Huh. That is interesting. Thanks!

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

I wrote back in 2012 and since then I have been back to the dealer for glove box failure. Going back today for the 5th time. Lemon Law time? When I made the appt, the service writer told me that this problem persists even in the newer models. I hope that I am not stopped for any reason on my way over to the dealership as I have not been able to get to my ownership and insurance card in the glove box aka sealed vault. I was planning to order a 2017 CT6, but I am not so sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike View Post
    I wrote back in 2012 and since then I have been back to the dealer for glove box failure. Going back today for the 5th time. Lemon Law time? When I made the appt, the service writer told me that this problem persists even in the newer models. I hope that I am not stopped for any reason on my way over to the dealership as I have not been able to get to my ownership and insurance card in the glove box aka sealed vault. I was planning to order a 2017 CT6, but I am not so sure now.
    Hello CAPT Mike,

We are terribly sorry to hear that you are still encountering an issue with the glove box in your vehicle, as this is not the experience we want for our customers. We recognize how situations like this can be extremely frustrating and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have previously reached out to you back in May regarding this concern, and again we would like to offer you our support.
    Were you able to reach a resolution with your dealer during your last appointment? If not, and you would like further assistance, please feel free to send us a private message.

Best wishes,

Steven A.
    Cadillac Customer Care

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

The dealer was very apologetic and after a two hour wait, the glove box replaced again, the door opens again. Wonder if it will last 2-3 months before I am back again. This is the 5th time that I've spent "quality time" for the same problem. Interestingly, I received no invoice or signed anything for warranty work again. Steven A., I think that as a customer service rep, you need Cadillac to support you by engineering a better glove box for the many who have experienced the same problem as I have. It makes you lose confidence in a product that is priced in the luxury vehicle category.

Serg675 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS FWD Premuim 3.6 V6, 2014 ATS AWD Luxury 2.0T V4

I have it replaced once too. I guess dialers have this part stashed

I concur. It seems like a poor design. A more solid design would have been to provide a ejector type plunger for both sides of the glove box. It has been over a month since I have taking my XTS in for this issue. After reviewing this forum, I even advise the dealership and Cadillac Customer Care of the possibility of a available repair kit. Yet, neither seems to be aware of the kit. Can anyone provide a part number for the repair kit?

I too was considering another Cadillac (XT5). Now, I am not too sure.

Thanks,
    Last edited by GFK; 09-27-16 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GFK View Post
    I concur. It seems like a poor design. A more solid design would have been to provide a ejector type plunger for both sides of the glove box. It has been over a month since I have taking my XTS in for this issue. After reviewing this forum, I even advise the dealership and Cadillac Customer Care of the possibility of a available repair kit. Yet, neither seems to be aware of the kit. Can anyone provide a part number for the repair kit?

I too was considering another Cadillac (XT5). Now, I am not too sure.

Thanks,
    Update: Dealership and Cadillac Customer Care decided to nothing about the glove box issue. Both reference throwing parts at the issue. Like it was my fault for buying the vehicle. I guess I should have know it would have issues. I thought I was buying the cream of the crop. So, I expected better service from the vehicle and Cadillac Customer Care. I went through three Cadillac Customer Care reps with no results.

I understand an intermitting issue may be challenging. I just expected more effort. Now, the third Cadillac Customer Care rep did try and do something. However, he just sent an e-mail with a final decision. I was not even afforded a call. I reflect on my time in the military. I don't recall telling the Commanding Officer that we just have to go into harm's way and hope the equipment works. I see I have to take a step back and realize things are done different.

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum

There isn't much to this problem that a decent tech couldn't isolate in a short period of time. It's either electrical, mechanical or a combination of both; your symptom elaboration doesn't give any info to indicate what the problem is other than a generic, "My glove box doesn't open."

The dash switch sends a command to the BCM, which sends an unlatch command to the solenoid (should hear a click at that point) in the glove box assembly. The solenoid moves a latch and the door drops, supported by a lanyard. Not. Much. To. It.

A GM scanner can detect the switch press, the unlatch command, and the position of the solenoid. You can open the glove box door with fishing line to trip the latches and narrow it down with your eyeballs, --even if it's intermittent.

As for your illogical military analogy, we routinely went in harm's way hoping our equipment worked, but it wasn't the biggest issue we enjoyed obsessing over. No machine is ever guaranteed to operate 100% all the time, --even with MILSPEC standards which consumer-grade vehicles don't even come close to. Plan for the worst and hope for the best is all you can ever do, whether you're in the military or civilian sector. Yours may be a more difficult transition than most. You either have horrible luck with finding competent mechanics, have another faulty assembly, or something is missing from the a-priori information provided.

Good luck.

CC

fleanote is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Platinum Vsport

Had same issue with glove box. You would hear the release after pressing the glove box button and even see a slight opening on the right side of the glovebox, but it would not open. By the time I reached the dealer, it was opening normally. The tech couldn't reproduce the 'jamming' so the issue was closed. I tried to relay that this is a known failure mode but the dealer insisted that there were no service bulletins for my VIN and that 'you can't trust the input of online sites and what you find.' I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't jam at the wrong time. I rarely go in there, and with the CD mounted in there, there's not room for much else.

carter's_sts is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)

Ha ha.....You can't trust all the people who make up things like their glove box not opening.

These forums here are a far better source of information than any dealer ever has been.

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    There isn't much to this problem that a decent tech couldn't isolate in a short period of time. It's either electrical, mechanical or a combination of both; your symptom elaboration doesn't give any info to indicate what the problem is other than a generic, "My glove box doesn't open."

The dash switch sends a command to the BCM, which sends an unlatch command to the solenoid (should hear a click at that point) in the glove box assembly. The solenoid moves a latch and the door drops, supported by a lanyard. Not. Much. To. It.

A GM scanner can detect the switch press, the unlatch command, and the position of the solenoid. You can open the glove box door with fishing line to trip the latches and narrow it down with your eyeballs, --even if it's intermittent.

As for your illogical military analogy, we routinely went in harm's way hoping our equipment worked, but it wasn't the biggest issue we enjoyed obsessing over. No machine is ever guaranteed to operate 100% all the time, --even with MILSPEC standards which consumer-grade vehicles don't even come close to. Plan for the worst and hope for the best is all you can ever do, whether you're in the military or civilian sector. Yours may be a more difficult transition than most. You either have horrible luck with finding competent mechanics, have another faulty assembly, or something is missing from the a-priori information provided.

Good luck.

CC
    Wow! I guess my analogy would be illogical if you expect not to get your money worth. It seems that your comparison, "--even with MILSPEC standards which consumer-grade vehicles don't even come close to" highlights my point. My dollar spends the same as our government does. I understand that nothing is 100%. But, this has been going on for about two years now. And, I would not expect this from a claimed premier product. Nevertheless for the sake of clarity, below is an outline of events:

-Symptoms: (1)Press button and hear click (2)Left side of box releases, but right side does not
    -The glove box was replaced in 2015
    -Returned to a dealership in 2016 because of the issue and technician could not reproduce the issue, but the sales person could reproduce the issue

My assessment again, the right side of the box does not disengage due to catch not releasing. This seems to happen in the warmer months. There could be many reasons, but mine is because the heat causes the box to expand. Being the case, two things come to mind:

1. The catch does not have enough time to release
    2. A push rod on one side of the box is not adequate

I was just providing feedback for the sake of information. Just my two cent. Take it for what it is worth. To play on you military experience, we can learn from each other. If you take 10 people with 10 years of experiences working on vehicles, a person would have 10 years of experience. Yet, if the 10 people combine their experiences, there is 100 years of knowledge to pull from. Hence, the point of this forum.

As far as transition, people have tolerated my adjustment. I have worked with great people. I have also worked with people not so great. I have found it does not matter whether a person has severed or not. It matters where a person heart is at.
    Last edited by GFK; 10-20-16 at 02:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12