$45000 car with no GPS?!?! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, $45000 car with no GPS?!?! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Toyota to BMW. Your seat of the pants comparison is accurate As far as reliability, the probability of problems is ...
    CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: $45000 car with no GPS?!?!

Toyota to BMW. Your seat of the pants comparison is accurate As far as reliability, the probability of problems is the luck of the draw. The biggest problem is in the cost of service. Check your book and you will find major services at 25K miles. If you are beyond your service warranty, you can expect to pay $750-1000 dependent on where you live. That was my main concern having rebuilt the 318i for my son back in 2000 and knowing how much parts cost, special tools, etc. and that was an easy car to work on with minimal electronics. I wouldn't and didn't attempt to do work on the newer BMW's and hence when the fourth year of warranty was closing in, I was deciding on which new vehicle to buy. The X5 was nice looking but it was actually less roomy compared to my '06 530xi with the exception that the second row of seats folded down. I used it once 'cause I have my old trusty F-150 for hauling stuff. And last but not least, I bought the diesel to try to be green. I averaged 25 mpg. Shortly after I bought it, diesel prices went soaring and around where I live in PA, diesel averages 65 cents more per gallon than regular, making the Cadillac "greener" to my wallet.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike
    Toyota to BMW. Your seat of the pants comparison is accurate As far as reliability, the probability of problems is the luck of the draw. The biggest problem is in the cost of service. Check your book and you will find major services at 25K miles. If you are beyond your service warranty, you can expect to pay $750-1000 dependent on where you live. That was my main concern having rebuilt the 318i for my son back in 2000 and knowing how much parts cost, special tools, etc. and that was an easy car to work on with minimal electronics. I wouldn't and didn't attempt to do work on the newer BMW's and hence when the fourth year of warranty was closing in, I was deciding on which new vehicle to buy. The X5 was nice looking but it was actually less roomy compared to my '06 530xi with the exception that the second row of seats folded down. I used it once 'cause I have my old trusty F-150 for hauling stuff. And last but not least, I bought the diesel to try to be green. I averaged 25 mpg. Shortly after I bought it, diesel prices went soaring and around where I live in PA, diesel averages 65 cents more per gallon than regular, making the Cadillac "greener" to my wallet.
    I hear you on the cost of service. I still have 16k miles on the service warranty and I am undecided if I should purchase the extension of that. I think I was quoted a little over $2k when I bought it, and given when the car would be due for brakes and other service, it was a toss-up on whether I would get my money's worth. For example, Front brake service was recently performed and according to the computer, the rears are due before the service warranty expires. Given the extended oil change intervals, and when the computer is calling for certain service, when I did the math, it looked like at best I would break even.

The bigger question is whether you are going to keep the X5 past 16K miles. I did the math also for all my BMW's and you will come up on the short end of the stick. I did not go for the extension because 4 years is more than I can stand one vehicle (except my Vette and my Harley) If you want to keep it, haggle with the dealer on the price. You should be able to get it for around 15-1650 for the extended warranty. Remember, it's oil changes, brake fluid changes, major checkup at 25 and 50K miles (alone will cost around 1500 for both), rear brakes, transmission service, cooling system service, fuel/air/cabin filters, and if any electrical gremlin pops up, well you get the idea.

The bigger question is whether you are going to keep the X5 past 16K miles. I did the math also for all my BMW's and you will come up on the short end of the stick. I did not go for the extension because 4 years is more than I can stand one vehicle (except my Vette and my Harley) If you want to keep it, haggle with the dealer on the price. You should be able to get it for around 15-1650 for the extended warranty. Remember, it's oil changes, brake fluid changes, major checkup at 25 and 50K miles (alone will cost around 1500 for both), rear brakes, transmission service, cooling system service, fuel/air/cabin filters, and if any electrical gremlin pops up, well you get the idea.
    I have a CPO warranty for the next 4 years or 100k miles so I'm covered on repairs. It's the maintenance contract I'm talking about.

Well I have a little over a year or 16k miles to think about that.

Sorry for hijacking this thread

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

never mind no gps on a $45K car. They don't even give you a spare tire anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I have a CPO warranty for the next 4 years or 100k miles so I'm covered on repairs. It's the maintenance contract I'm talking about.

Well I have a little over a year or 16k miles to think about that.

Sorry for hijacking this thread
    I was referring to maintenance not what's warranted on your CPO contract. BTW, if you join the BMW Car Club of America, the gurus/tech advisers will strongly recommend that if you plan to keep the BMW vehicle that you change the oil more frequently than every 15000 amongst other items. Again, it is up to you regarding how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    never mind no gps on a $45K car. They don't even give you a spare tire anymore!
    When was the last time you had a flat tire? Why carry weight (tire + jack) around for nothing? Besides, Cadillac gives you 5 or 6 years of emergency service (gas, flats, lockout, etc) as well as the compressor and "Slime." BTW, no spare is not new. The 2006 BMW M3, that I bought new, came with std/non-runflats tires - no spare - just the German version of a compressor and (I guess)"German Slime." Did I forget to mention that the car cost $66K?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

^^^^
    Yeah, but with a spare tire, a flat is a 15-minute inconvenience. Without....the last time I had a flat, I had to wait two hours for a tow in a snowstorm.

No, thanks. GPS I can live without in a luxury car, but this tendency toward no spares is where I draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob
    ^^^^
    Yeah, but with a spare tire, a flat is a 15-minute inconvenience. Without....the last time I had a flat, I had to wait two hours for a tow in a snowstorm.

No, thanks. GPS I can live without in a luxury car, but this tendency toward no spares is where I draw the line.
    The fix-a-flat is worthless if you have a blowout. I have been contemplating buying a spare for my coupe. I would prefer run flats instead. My preference would be spare > RFTs > compressor with fix-a-flat.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Blowouts are non-existent with today's high quality tires. If you buy no name specials at your low cost tire store, maybe.

As for nails in tires, yes that happens. A Hankook on my V is patched. As is a Michelin on my Town Car.

So I keep a tire plug kit in my V. Anyone can do this, with little practice. If the tire is in the front, you don't need to even to remove it.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    If you buy no name specials at your low cost tire store, maybe.
    I don't think I'll ever understand why people always skimp out on the what are basically the two most important safety features of the car. Being brakes and tires. Get a quality set of both and you may end up saving lives. Quality tires and brakes are always cheaper than dealing with accidents and possible life long injury or death.
    I also believe all cars should run LED brake lights as they turn on faster thereby increasing the amount of time the person behind you has to react to your actions (or you to the person in front of you). The .5 second difference in time can be like 60 feet of additional warning time. That can mean the difference between colliding and not.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    I don't think I'll ever understand why people always skimp out on the what are basically the two most important safety features of the car. Being brakes and tires. Get a quality set of both and you may end up saving lives. Quality tires and brakes are always cheaper than dealing with accidents and possible life long injury or death.
    I also believe all cars should run LED brake lights as they turn on faster thereby increasing the amount of time the person behind you has to react to your actions (or you to the person in front of you). The .5 second difference in time can be like 60 feet of additional warning time. That can mean the difference between colliding and not.
    I'm running Hankook evos on my V. In part because so many people were raving about them. They are excellent tires, but they aren't as good as the pricier Michelins. That, to me, is about the cheapest I'll ever get in buying tires. And that's still $800/set. When I go to Town Fair Tire or ebay and see these uber-cheap tires, I cringe...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    I'm running Hankook evos on my V. In part because so many people were raving about them. They are excellent tires, but they aren't as good as the pricier Michelins. That, to me, is about the cheapest I'll ever get in buying tires. And that's still $800/set. When I go to Town Fair Tire or ebay and see these uber-cheap tires, I cringe...
    I agree on not skimping on tires? just replaced the tires on my son's 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring S (V6). That car comes with 18" Michelin HX MXM4 (same as what is on my CTS coupe), except they aren't staggered on the Mazda. The Michelins cost me $1,400 mounted, balanced, tax and disposal with the road hazard warranty, minus the $70 rebated from Discount Tire. They were the most expensive tire and I contemplated less expensive, but the Michelins are what came with the car.

As for the tire repair kit, I have done that before, but recently my wife had a flat on her truck. My son went out there with a portable compressor to try to get enough air in the tire to get to a place to repair it. It wouldn't hold air and what punctured it was like a hollow tube so the air would go right through it. The fix-a-flat stuff wouldn't have worked for her and I don't see my wife repairing the tire on the side of the road. She ended up calling AAA to replace the tire (the vehicle was a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser with oversized tires). That's why I'm glad her current car has run-flats.

As for the tire repair kit, I have done that before, but recently my wife had a flat on her truck. My son went out there with a portable compressor to try to get enough air in the tire to get to a place to repair it. It wouldn't hold air and what punctured it was like a hollow tube so the air would go right through it. The fix-a-flat stuff wouldn't have worked for her and I don't see my wife repairing the tire on the side of the road. She ended up calling AAA to replace the tire (the vehicle was a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser with oversized tires). That's why I'm glad her current car has run-flats.
    If a tube punctured the tire and it was over 3/8" in diameter, it's unlikely that anything would help. What would have saved time would have been if your son looked at the tire. Since he came out to your wife, he could have brought a jack to lift the vehicle and rotate the tire. If he saw a "smaller" tube size and if he had a plugger, he could have plugged the tire, "SLIMED" with the green slime meant for tubeless tires and pumped her up. You may still have needed a new tire, but your wife would have been able to roll away. Runflats have a very stiff sidewall and cost more - ride suffers. I've been driving for 50 years and I have had one flat from a vandal's ice pick while parked and another from a nail that resulted in a slow leak that I plugged and ran over 30000 more miles on that tire. I'll play the odds and when I get new tires, put the difference into a higher quality tire like Michelin, etc.

If a tube punctured the tire and it was over 3/8" in diameter, it's unlikely that anything would help. What would have saved time would have been if your son looked at the tire. Since he came out to your wife, he could have brought a jack to lift the vehicle and rotate the tire. If he saw a "smaller" tube size and if he had a plugger, he could have plugged the tire, "SLIMED" with the green slime meant for tubeless tires and pumped her up. You may still have needed a new tire, but your wife would have been able to roll away. Runflats have a very stiff sidewall and cost more - ride suffers. I've been driving for 50 years and I have had one flat from a vandal's ice pick while parked and another from a nail that resulted in a slow leak that I plugged and ran over 30000 more miles on that tire. I'll play the odds and when I get new tires, put the difference into a higher quality tire like Michelin, etc.
    My son was barely 16 at the time, he was just learning how to drive much less be able to change a flat on that beast. hecould have brought a floor jack, but the Land Cruiser is a 3 ton vehicle. I changed a flat on it once using the standard jack and it was a bit unnerving. The tires are also pretty big and heavy. The tire was able to be saved with a patch from the inside.

My wife now has BMW X5 with run flats. I had read people complaining of the ride, but honestly it's really not that bad. Replacement cost is another. Thing, but as I posted earlier, I am used to pricey tires.

My son was barely 16 at the time, he was just learning how to drive much less be able to change a flat on that beast. hecould have brought a floor jack, but the Land Cruiser is a 3 ton vehicle. I changed a flat on it once using the standard jack and it was a bit unnerving. The tires are also pretty big and heavy. The tire was able to be saved with a patch from the inside.

My wife now has BMW X5 with run flats. I had read people complaining of the ride, but honestly it's really not that bad. Replacement cost is another. Thing, but as I posted earlier, I am used to pricey tires.
    My "kids" are 30, 37, 40 and 41, but I remember when they were 16. Helpless. But that's another story. The X5 I traded had runflats and the ride is diffferent with std tires but not horrendous as some have complained about. The difference, for example, for Michelin Sport A/S vs RunFlat for a set of four is only 4o to 60 dollars so it's pricey either way you go.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.