$45000 car with no GPS?!?! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, $45000 car with no GPS?!?! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by HartfordGuy The XTS gained some standard features that were optional on the base DTS and the price ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HartfordGuy View Post
    The XTS gained some standard features that were optional on the base DTS and the price is lower too.

Not everyone wants a Nav system.

However It should be a stand alone option at a reasonable price. I'm sure Fleet (Livery) buyers would like to have the Nav in a base model.
    The fleet version will not be bare bones and will be decently equipped.

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Re: $45000 car with no GPS?!?!

My fully equipted 2003 STS has NAV. I was very disappointed as my much older Garmin Street Pilot III was much more acruate and had more info then the supplied one in the STS, even after having paid at lot of money some years afterwards to have the software updated. Yes it had voice control but that never worked correctly, Most of the time it was "dead" and Cadillac having replaced every part never was able to fix it. Anyway, I recently bought a new Garmin unit which I can switch from car to car including live-time map and traffic info update functions. What a difference. I just hope my yet to be delivered XTS Platinum will also have a more modern, updated and feature rich GPS to compete with that new Garmin one. Otherwise I will just use the Garmin one even in the new XTS Platinum. So, my advice, buy the one without the GPS option, staying within your budget and buy a stand-alone GPS. They cost a lot less than the build-in ones and based on my experience are way supperior. There are other makes that just Garmin

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

And when you trade the vehicle in, the value is decreased substantially. Besides, you are comparing a 10 year old version of Navigation tech to what is today. Each of us can do what they think is best, but , seriously, any comparisons of technology from even last year to this year is not realistic.

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

That's why I was disappointed when comparing my 2001 Garmin unit to the newer 2003 in the STS and found the STS version lucking as to coverage and acuracy. As to options there were pros and cons. Totally agree with you that one can't compare the 2003 Cady version even with updated maps to a standalone version of today. Technology is just changing too fast for that. I was just trying to give the post originator another option, given he prefers not to spent more for a model with a GPS feature.

A dashtop GPS in a luxury car looks cheap and goofy...
    csurfer and csurfer like this.

I hear you. I guess I'm of the school that if you have to nickel and dime when you are looking at a car that is north of 45K that you really should reevaluate what kind of vehicle that you can afford. But maybe I'm just weird that way.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike View Post
    I hear you. I guess I'm of the school that if you have to nickel and dime when you are looking at a car that is north of 45K that you really should reevaluate what kind of vehicle that you can afford. But maybe I'm just weird that way.
    Yeah I guess if a $2k option that includes more than just Nav is enough to break the bank when you are shopping in the 45k market it's time to reevaluate what you can afford. Especially if it's what $16 per month per $1000 when financing or something like that. If a monthly payment that is $32 higher makes it unaffordable then how do you afford gas?

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    A dashtop GPS in a luxury car looks cheap and goofy...
    Especially on a premium luxury car.

Engelman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

I have had Onstar, and used it, on every GM vehicle, since it's inception with no problems. I believe it to be the best feature on any automobile. A friend of mine is alive today because of it. I don't know what your problem was, but I am sorry that you are so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Onstar ... What a joke I called a few weeks ago at 9:30 am on a wednesday it took 20 minutes for my call to be answered. I wanted them to run a diagnosis of a car issue but the issue I was having wasn't part of the monitored featureset.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

I just bought a Garmin for use in my DTS. Yes, it's a bit messy with the external power cord, and I haven't found a good flat place to attach the suction cup mounting bracket. But there are advantages with this set-up vs OEM:
    --Price, which includes lifetime map updates and a traffice alert feature.
    --I can place it right on the steering column where it only partically blocks the speedometer but means it's almost directly within my field of vision while driving, as opposed over and down on the right. And there's no risk of glare.
    --Best of all: I can sit in the house, in my recliner, with a nice glass of Port, and program my next day's travels.

As for value lost on trade-in, if you're a lease guy who changes cars every 2 or 3 years, maybe yes. But if you buy and keep the car 5+ years, having or not having an ancient GPS in the car at that stage is going to net/debit you about $5.00 on a trade-in.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Onstar ... What a joke I called a few weeks ago at 9:30 am on a wednesday it took 20 minutes for my call to be answered. I wanted them to run a diagnosis of a car issue but the issue I was having wasn't part of the monitored featureset.
    It wasnt an emergency. Im ok with that call taking longer then neccessary, especially if lines might have been busy.

----------

Navigation will likely not be standard on any cars for a few years still. Not because it couldn't be done but there are many people
    that refuse to learn them or don't want to deal with what they believe to be an overly complex system. My parents refuse to buy
    a car with Nav in them (they own 2 SRXs), there was a couple of SRXs that they passed on because of the Nav being in them.
    Then there is also the idea of the more features in the car the more that can possibly go wrong / break. This mindset will need to
    disappear before we start seeing cars that have these features included by default. They need to market the car to the least
    sophisticated customer, which at this time this customer still includes those that don't want/like/need/care for Navigation.
    No, they dont need to market the car to the least sophisticated luxury buyers. They just need to have a level of ATS available for those buyers. Marketing a car to the least sophisticated is a surefire way to kill Cadillacs reputation. I can see the storyline now. Cadillac, once the Standard of the World, is now the brand for people with IQ's that equal the the number of seats in the vehicle. Theres a misconception here that all people buy as much as they can afford, and sometimes more. I suppose the housing market is a prime example of this. It doesnt ring true for everyone, tho. When I ordered my CTS, I optioned a $3000 package that added a grill, spoiler, sideskirts, exhaust tips and wheels. I didnt bother with the luxury package, NAV, or the upgraded stereo because the options offered no benefit for me. The aftermarket coilovers I have cost more then the NAV option. My parents dont bother with OEM NAVs, as they have a few classic vehicles and the most practical way to have NAV in every one of those vehicles is to have an aftermarket standalone unit with uptodate maps. So why spend thousands on NAV units for each of their modern cars just because they can?, when they can just move a single unit from car to car? Until big screens are standard in a car, standard NAV is unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic
    I just bought a Garmin for use in my DTS. Yes, it's a bit messy with the external power cord, and I haven't found a good flat place to attach the suction cup mounting bracket. But there are advantages with this set-up vs OEM:
    --Price, which includes lifetime map updates and a traffice alert feature.
    --I can place it right on the steering column where it only partically blocks the speedometer but means it's almost directly within my field of vision while driving, as opposed over and down on the right. And there's no risk of glare.
    --Best of all: I can sit in the house, in my recliner, with a nice glass of Port, and program my next day's travels.

As for value lost on trade-in, if you're a lease guy who changes cars every 2 or 3 years, maybe yes. But if you buy and keep the car 5+ years, having or not having an ancient GPS in the car at that stage is going to net/debit you about $5.00 on a trade-in.
    Earlier I said that all of my most recent cars have GPS. With one exception.

About four years ago we bought a CPO Mustang convertible as a fun summer car. We only put about 3k miles a year on it. It didn't come with GPS so we bought a Garmin Nuvi that we use primarily for that car.

My wife and I hate it.

Now maybe the newer ones are a bit quicker, but our experience is the OEM integrated units are faster to search for POIs, I like that they are integrated with Bluetooth so that when I find a POI and I want to call it, I can just tell it to do so, and with the most recent models, I LOVE that when I am not in the car I can search for a location through Google on my OnStar app and then have it send the destination to the in-dash NAV.

So to use the example mentioned above, I can also plan my next day's destinations while on my coach with a glass of wine while looking up the destinations and sending them to the car. Once I get in the car and start it up, the destinations are queued up waiting for me.

As for having an outdated unit, we too tend to keep our cars a bit longer. My last daily driver was an Acura that I had for six years, and I did do an update (for about $200) about halfway through that. We owned my wife's previous daily driver (2004 Toyota Land Cruiser) for nine years. In those nine years we updated the NAV once, and having an older system wasn't a big deal for us.

Essentially from a features perspective you run into the same thing with the portable units. Over time newer products come out with more features that you may want, upgrading to those comes at about the same price as updating the NAV.

I get though that the portable units now offer unlimited lifetime maps and that is attractive, but I personally love the integration.

I also get that in the end everyone has their priorities on what is important to them. That's why things navigation and sunroofs are options.

With Onstar, I can Google my destinations and send it to my nav. All comfy on my couch with a nice Riesling.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'm not that much of a dink...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    With Onstar, I can Google my destinations and send it to my nav. All comfy on my couch with a nice Riesling.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I'm not that much of a dink...
    LOL. Riesling is too sweet, a good Sirah, or Pinot Noir works for me. Besides, never acquired the taste for port.

... and technically I don't qualify as a DINK. I have two kids (16 & 14) and since my wife doesn't work, we are a single income family.

A little Cognac or good sipping scotch works best Keeping a car past 4 years is an option, but if you can afford a luxury vehicle to start, trading in every couple of years is nice. In my case, I am fortunate that I can buy a luxury car and trade it every 3 or 4 years as I get bored with it and want new.
    allgm and allgm like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.