Facing layoff &resale value is horrible! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Facing layoff &resale value is horrible! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Period is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum

Re: Facing layoff &resale value is horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    First off, I'm glad this will be your last Cadillac.

You decided to buy a brand new car and then sell it in 3 months. How do you know your XTS is worth that little? Because a dealer told you? What dealer? A Hyundai dealer?

Odds are, if you're trying to trade in on a lesser car at their dealer, they will struggle to unload a much more expensive XTS. If it's the Cadillac dealer you got it from, maybe they want to make a killing on you.

The point is the number you quoted for trade-in means squat. None of the car value sites I used could offer ANY numbers at all. Its too soon to get reliable numbers. Any number given you is pulled out of mid air. So your rant is baseless...
    Your comments are baseless (but the name calling says a lot about you) for your information one Cadillac dealer offered $43k, the one I bought it from offered $45k and a HONDA dealer offered the $46K i sighted. Maybe you should get YOUR facts straight before making the accusations YOU made! Period. And Cars.com have quite a few Used Platinums for sale so the numbers I stated are NOT pulled out of midair as you rant, thank you.

----------

I never had to sell a car so fast after buying one so I never experienced facing such a big loss so quickly-sorry to disappoint you veterans. The car is perfect (I am über-anal about my cars so I am ultra careful) and it looks brand new. It has less than 5,000 (somebody asked above) and I am going to sell it myself. I appreciate the kindness presented here and hope that karma is kind to the hatred. I just wanted to share the experience (and the Hundai comment was to illustrate the concept of resale value but the truth is the dealers are sharks). Thanks to all for the compassion and ideas. I'll let you know how it works out. God bless.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Buy a 2 year old caddy or lease a new one. Don't buy a New caddy unless you are going to keep it.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Period

Your comments are baseless (but the name calling says a lot about you) for your information one Cadillac dealer offered $43k, the one I bought it from offered $45k and a HONDA dealer offered the $46K i sighted. Maybe you should get YOUR facts straight before making the accusations YOU made! Period. And Cars.com have quite a few Used Platinums for sale so the numbers I stated are NOT pulled out of midair as you rant, thank you.

----------

I never had to sell a car so fast after buying one so I never experienced facing such a big loss so quickly-sorry to disappoint you veterans. The car is perfect (I am über-anal about my cars so I am ultra careful) and it looks brand new. It has less than 5,000 (somebody asked above) and I am going to sell it myself. I appreciate the kindness presented here and hope that karma is kind to the hatred. I just wanted to share the experience (and the Hundai comment was to illustrate the concept of resale value but the truth is the dealers are sharks). Thanks to all for the compassion and ideas. I'll let you know how it works out. God bless.
    Name calling? That's a riot. I never called you anything. Again, baseless rants and made up facts.

----------

Did you think I wouldn't go check cars.com? The cheapest used Platinum was just under $55G.

Again, if you think that two dealers offering you garbage for trade-in value equals the actual value of your XTS, then you have no clue.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

DG2
    DG2 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    These dealers are totally ripping you off dude. Hopefully you'll get a better job fast as the economy is getting better but don't dump negatives on the XTS based on the crooked dealers you went too. The are clearly taking advantage of your situation.

Mike Zucker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

As said above, any used car loses around 20% of the value when driven off the lot. Flip it around from the buyers point of view - would you buy a used car for 10% off when you can get a new one for a few dollars more ? Do you know why the car is sitting on the "used car" side after a few months ? You will always wonder of it's a lemon ...
    Anyway, I took the hit a year ago. I had bought a new SRX, wanting the cargo utility. First "truck" I ever bought in my life. Didn't like it that much when I test-drove it, but thought I would get used to it. 10 months later, absolutely hated it, and was annoyed making the payments ... Ordered a new (12) CTS coupe. I had paid 40K for the SRX, and the dealer gave me back 32K - I thought they treated me very well, considering I had used it for 11 months, and they knew I didn't like the vehicle and had ordered something new ...
    I guess it all depends on your outlook / expectations ....

GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

So how again is this Cadillac's fault? Someone lacks the basic understanding how the car market works.

Seems to me like you're simply venting due to your own poor choices, and placing the blame elsewhere.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    ^winner!

Pay to play op. Now go by a Honda.

longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    ----------

[/COLOR]Purchase Toyota Avalon 2011 on May 1 2011 paid 33650 OTD or 30345 for car. I hate the car but wife said she really like it so you know how that went. Fast forward and I see the new XTS and CUE on a blog I really like the look. SoI took her to dealership she loved it also so we purchased on 9/5/2012. I had 22k miles on the Avalon and we got $22400 for the Car. Most source said they where going for 27k (kkb, black book) and on most dealers lots. Matter of fact the dealer is trying to get $27600 for it but no luck so far. I'm just saying what dealer are offering on a trade in is at least 20% below there retail selling price. So your $43 offer seem about right for the dealer to make an acceptable profit on the deal. He will try to retail it at $48/$49k.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

It is obvious that most people on this forum are well aware of trade values of cars as well as decent purchase prices. The internet changed the car buying experience tremendously. The gentleman who started this string was clearly in a state that anyone would be in if facing a layoff with bills and family obligations and the holidays coming up. My specialty is not psych, but he was lashing out at the nearest inanimate object, the XTS. I am certain that he knows all the "pointers" that have been projected on this string. In the spirit of hope and thankfulness during this season, I trust that he will find another position soon and be able to maintain his obligations, provide for his family, and even perhaps, keep the XTS. In the Navy when someone would be embarking on orders or retirement, beginning a new chapter in their lives, we would say to that person, "May you have fair winds and following seas." May it be so for "Period".
    mrrairai76 and mrrairai76 like this.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I special ordered a 1983 Z28 in march 1983. Took delivery July 1983 with discounts it was 11,678.48.
    At the end of October 1983 I was tired of making $4 an hour and took it to my selling dealer for Him to buy it outright. Offer was $10,000. Took it to another dealer. Offer was $10,500. For a z28 with almost no options and 6,000 miles on it. About 10 percent off of purchase price.
    I think today it is about 30 percent.
    Expect a 1 year old former Caddy rental car to be about 50 percent off list.

----------

I special ordered a 1983 Z28 in march 1983. Took delivery July 1983 with discounts it was 11,678.48.
    At the end of October 1983 I was tired of making $4 an hour and took it to my selling dealer for Him to buy it outright. Offer was $10,000. Took it to another dealer. Offer was $10,500. For a z28 with almost no options and 6,000 miles on it. About 10 percent off of purchase price.
    I think today it is about 30 percent.
    Expect a 1 year old former Caddy rental car to be about 50 percent off list.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    All my stories would be about being on the buying end. I totally get wanting a brand new car, but I like to buy used to let someone else depreciate it for me. Always low miles and in very good shape though.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Besides Lexus/Toyota and Honda/Acura, there aren't many brands. Luxury or otherwise, that won't significantly drop in value the second it's driven off the lot. That's why I don't buy brand new anymore. Bought a brand new 06 jeep in 05 for 32 grand. Just outa curiosity, a few months later I checked on it's current value. 23k. Lol. And jeep wranglers actually hold their value quite well.

cadillac00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac dts, 2006 cadillac dts
    I'll buy your xts from you if you want PM me

Caddy Chris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Premium

That is a shame. If you don't have money in the bank don't spend so much on a car. I can write a check for a new Cadillac andI always buy demos or loaners. The dealer generally discounts $8,000 to $9,000 off msrp. The car has 4 to 5 thousand miles on it and is still a new car not having been registered. Cadillac resale value is obviously not great except the SRX it seems to hold up well. Still this does not help you now but again if a lay off causes you to not be able to afford your car you over spent. It is not Cadillac's fault.

nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

IMO...i think blaming a car for lost value is not fair...

i think car only beck mark for reliable...Handling..performance..technology....ex ....

Especially Luxury car...it lost a lot of value compare with regular car..
    1st : It cost a lot to maintenance...so mostly people doesn't want to pay for it..or can not afford it..
    2nd : Wealthy people doesn't want used car..when they can afford new.

i think used luxury car market only for people who love car like an hobby..but can't afford new one... but those people is rare..

i'm sorry to hear u got lay off..but..it is not fair to say that.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.