Pondering an XTS (or MKS)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Pondering an XTS (or MKS) in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I currently have a 2011 MKZ and while quite happy with the car I plan to get a full size ...
    hwitten is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Pondering an XTS (or MKS)

I currently have a 2011 MKZ and while quite happy with the car I plan to get a full size 2013.

One of the main reasons is that I want to tow a small trailer, under 1000 lbs. (The MKZ doesn't allow 'any' towing).

I have looked and driven the MKX and am also waiting to look at the SRX as an alternative.
    The MKX was too SUV-like, I.e. not sufficiently comfortable. I expect the SRX to be similar but will wait to see/drive one.

I don't care about "sport". I don't want an "aggressive" vehicle.
    I want a car that will pamper me with comfort. One that will glide over the railroad crossing without jarring teeth.

Maybe the days of the car I want are gone, but hopefully not.
    Sorry to be rambling about the SRX but I'm hoping that maybe someone travelled this road already.

If I'm right, with the SRX I would be giving up too much "ride comfort" so the XTS Platinum seems to be a logical choice to explorer further.

Has anyone installed a hitch on a Cadillac Sedan? The XTS even?

I usually keep my cars for many years. Still drive my 2001 Buick.
    While there may be some risk involved in getting a vehicle that has just recently come into being with fresh electronics, I think I'm going to take that chance as this may very well be a car that will last me a while and could easily be my last new car purchase unless I win the lottery.

So basically, has someone perhaps started researching the SRX and ended up with the XTS that is willing to share the "why".

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: Pondering an XTS (or MKS)

Keep in mind that you cannot compare the "SUV/Soccer Mom Mobile" with a sedan. It doesn't matter if you are comparing Cadillacs, Lincolns or BMW's. The ride is different and the sedan is just a bit more luxurious. As far as XTS towing capacity, it's 1000 lbs; may be a little more with AWD. Your Lincoln counterpart is the equivalent to the Taurus just as its SUV is equivalent to the Edge. Towing capacity is similar. If this is going to be your "last new car," don't rely on a forum for ideas/decisions. Go drive each one; ask the towing capacity question by telling the salesperson that you want them to throw in the highest capacity hitch. And then make up your mind. My XTS Premium AWD is my "touring Sedan." My '04 Corvette is the "old man's toy." And my '04 F-150 is my tow vehicle.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Sounds like you may want Escalade if towing is great importance.

droptopron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 3.0 AWD Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Sounds like you may want Escalade if towing is great importance.
    He said that the trailer is under 1K lbs. You don't need an Escalade for that.

Unfortunately (for me) I have to make one vehicle do it all
    Even the occasional trip to the dump (with trailer).

Guess I'll start test driving once some choices are available at local dealers.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by droptopron

He said that the trailer is under 1K lbs. You don't need an Escalade for that.
    Good point. Under a 1k load , any car can handle that. My 50cc Puch moped can pull that !!!

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

Quote Originally Posted by hwitten View Post
    I currently have a 2011 MKZ and while quite happy with the car I plan to get a full size 2013.

One of the main reasons is that I want to tow a small trailer, under 1000 lbs. (The MKZ doesn't allow 'any' towing).

I have looked and driven the MKX and am also waiting to look at the SRX as an alternative.
    The MKX was too SUV-like, I.e. not sufficiently comfortable. I expect the SRX to be similar but will wait to see/drive one.

I don't care about "sport". I don't want an "aggressive" vehicle.
    I want a car that will pamper me with comfort. One that will glide over the railroad crossing without jarring teeth.

Maybe the days of the car I want are gone, but hopefully not.
    Sorry to be rambling about the SRX but I'm hoping that maybe someone travelled this road already.

If I'm right, with the SRX I would be giving up too much "ride comfort" so the XTS Platinum seems to be a logical choice to explorer further.

Has anyone installed a hitch on a Cadillac Sedan? The XTS even?

I usually keep my cars for many years. Still drive my 2001 Buick.
    While there may be some risk involved in getting a vehicle that has just recently come into being with fresh electronics, I think I'm going to take that chance as this may very well be a car that will last me a while and could easily be my last new car purchase unless I win the lottery.

So basically, has someone perhaps started researching the SRX and ended up with the XTS that is willing to share the "why".
    Since your main concern is getting a full size car that pampers you with comfort, you may want to consider a 2011 DTS. I know it's not a 2013, and it's not the most technologically advanced, but it is able to pull a trailer of that weight with no problem in comfort .
    SHOWGIRL and SHOWGIRL like this.

I did think about the DTS or other 2012's but of almost equal importance to me is the 2013 technology. I know it's a bit risky but I'm a bit of a techno-geek I guess. I make my living doing software, which may frustrate me even more when CUE doesn't do what it should but I just have to take that chance.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by hwitten
    I did think about the DTS or other 2012's but of almost equal importance to me is the 2013 technology. I know it's a bit risky but I'm a bit of a techno-geek I guess. I make my living doing software, which may frustrate me even more when CUE doesn't do what it should but I just have to take that chance.
    Sounds like XTS would be a perfect fit. What are you waiting for ??

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Tow ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Sounds like XTS would be a perfect fit. What are you waiting for ??
    Trying for a bit more due diligence than when I bought the MKZ
    Mind you that was an end-of-year purchase with good discount.

I'll probably wait until the 2012's are all gone. Maybe there'll be some incentives coming down the pipe and I've given myself until April, so no hurry. Have to make sure the next one is a true keeper

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by hwitten View Post
    Trying for a bit more due diligence than when I bought the MKZ
    Mind you that was an end-of-year purchase with good discount.

I'll probably wait until the 2012's are all gone. Maybe there'll be some incentives coming down the pipe and I've given myself until April, so no hurry. Have to make sure the next one is a true keeper
    Why not consider the 2013 MB E350? Either as BlueTEC diesel or 4MATIC wagon. The wagon has 2,500lbs towing capacity.

Just a thought: Keep your money in a US business. Germany doesn't need it; Japan doesn't need it; Korea doesn't need it. I bought a Cadillac as part of my new philosophy to buy American. BTW I traded in my fifth BMW on the Caddy. Yeah I know half the foreign cars are made in America; I'm talking parent company.

Was it a good trade?
    I.e. comfort, etc.
    Was it a trade up or down in that regard?

All Good. Love the car and ride. I'm even getting used to the CUE; the learning curve is the same as it was for the BMW's iDrive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.