iPad Questions: Am I the Only One?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, iPad Questions: Am I the Only One? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I see the OnStar App and it asks me for my account number to set up my ID and Password. ...
    CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

iPad Questions: Am I the Only One?

I see the OnStar App and it asks me for my account number to set up my ID and Password. What account number? I did not receive an OnStar card or booklet or anything with the XTS? Does it come in the mail or do I simply need to press the OnStar button in the vehicle?
    Second question is with the Cadillac Apps that were loaded on the iPad. It showed that there were updates so I went to install and it showd a different Apple ID than the one I made for iTunes. It was CadiApps@gmail.com. It asked for the Password. No one told me of this gMail account and/or the password. And being not Technoabsolutelyliterate, I cannot eradicate this ID no matter how many times I start the process to change it all; because it always reverts to the original gmail email account for which I have no idea where it came from. So, am I the only one with this conundrum? Thanks in advance (TIA) for any advice/help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: iPad Questions: Am I the Only One?

Hey Capt Mike,

Those are both common issues that your salesperson should have gone over with you. Assuming you've pressed the blue button to complete your OnStar activation, you should have received an email from them with your account information. If not, you can retrieve it by pressing the blue button now and speaking to an advisor. Next visit OnStar.com to log into your account, and make sure that the OnStar mobile app is set to "allowed" in your account settings. From there, you should be good to go!

As far as the iPad, it comes down to how Apple handles apps. An Apple ID is required to load apps, so Cadillac uses their in-house ID to pre-load the apps onto the device, but this causes the apps and device to be linked to that account. What you'll need to do is plug into a PC or Mac and use iTunes to restore the iPad "as a new device" (this will erase the apps and Cadillac's account info). Now you can set the device up with the name and Apple ID you like, plus re-download the free apps using your own Apple ID.

The names of the free apps are:

-OnStar Remote Link
    -MyCadillac
    -CUE Trainer

If you don't have iTunes, download it here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

This is the fastest and easiest way to get your iPad up and running with the proper ID. I've passed along feedback to the factory on finding a better way to pre-load the apps to avoid these steps, but due to the way Apple handles app installations it's unlikely there's a better way to do it.

Hope that helps.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323 (ask for Tony)

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Thank you very much!

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Iam glad Capt Mike asked. I had no idea what this stuff is all about. LOL I have my IPAD registered. I can now start my car, Lock it, unlock etc from my IPAD. ( whoopdie doo) However when I get to the screen that shows Tank Level, Fuel Level etc, it says at the top: Never updated frm XTS. So now what??How do I update? (I'm like the Capt. This stuff is a little too much at times!!) Now I know why the salesperson didn't explain any of this.

There's an icon in the upper right corner of the app that refreshes the data from your vehicle. Pressing this will gather the latest fuel, tire and oil data as long as the car has been running within the last 24 hours.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Thanks Tony. Like Bill O'reilly says: "The machines have taken over"

----------

Tony
    It's upper left.
    Cadj

My salesman was a real nice guy; cordial,etc etc. Willing to take my money. But not very knowledgeable about all the techno stuff. Some of us may be older, but not senile (I might be getting close). Cadillac needs to train their people more to be able to train us or give up the techno stuff. Thanks for Tony, this forum, and the nice people you talk to when you call OnStar or ??

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

Speaking of the iPad, here is a really stupid question: Can the XTS be operated without the iPad?

I realize that a lot (most?) people love the Apple technology, but I am not one of them. I do not want to have to learn to operate an iPad in order to use my car. Is there something important that I would be giving up by not using the iPad with the car?

Not a stupid question. The car works fine without IPAD knowledge. I didn't even know what an IPAD was until I got this car. To me it seems Cadillac must have joined forces with Apple to get some of us old geezers to become more tech savy. Anything I just learned today from this thread can be handled by using using your keyless remote, calling onstar or just looking at the car DIC. Just my thought.

----------

I still use a basic cell phone too. Works fine CUE. None of those connectivity problems other are having with those super phones.

wkincy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

You are one of thousands, however, I have not been given the password either.

As it is a Cadillac iTunes account and nonspecific to the exact vehicle there must be a single password available to us. I have a call into the dealer but noone I have talked to even has a clue how an iPad works. Much less what their Caddie specific iTunes password is.

The Adobe Reader is also due one of its very frequent updates, but alas, that also has been loaded by Cadillac and can not be updated.

You would think Cadillac employs at least one young engineer that had some input into this idea of putting the info on an iPad provided with the new XTS. However the old geezers at Cadillac simply didn't listen to that one youngster.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wkincy View Post
    As it is a Cadillac iTunes account and nonspecific to the exact vehicle there must be a single password available to us. I have a call into the dealer but noone I have talked to even has a clue how an iPad works. Much less what their Caddie specific iTunes password is.
    Hi Bill!

You will not be able to get the password for Cadillac's iTunes account. They do in fact have a large contingent of younger, tech savvy folks working on the CUE program, but the problem you're encountering is a result of how Apple handles their app system, not something that Cadillac dropped the ball on.

In order to get your iPad properly updating the apps, you'll need to plug into a PC or Mac running iTunes and use that program to restore the iPad "as a new device". This will remove Cadillac's account and allow you to enter your own, then redownload the free apps. From this point forward the apps will be tied to the account that downloaded them (yours) and can be easily updated.

Hope this helps.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL

www.cadillactony.com

Quote Originally Posted by wkincy View Post
    You are one of thousands, however, I have not been given the password either.

The Adobe Reader is also due one of its very frequent updates, but alas, that also has been loaded by Cadillac and can not be updated.

You would think Cadillac employs at least one young engineer that had some input into this idea of putting the info on an iPad provided with the new XTS. However the old geezers at Cadillac simply didn't listen to that one youngster.

Bill
    If you really would like to frustrate yourself, check Tony's method to get your own Apple account and password. Basically, you erase everything that is on your iPad now and then download all the apps including the Cadillac apps that were already downloaded using your new Apple ID and your new password. Seems easy enough, but wait...I am 66 years old, I have been retired for 3 years, I have changed my aggressive ways, and this job appears to be something that I don't want to tackle. So I'll live with the inability to download new editions for those cadillac Apps. Maybe, one day, the Cadillac people will give us the "secret word and handshake." BTW, I checked with my dealer/salesman and the info they gave me clearly notes that they have no idea how to do anything with the iPad. Cadillac Tony is truly the exception although his methodology is too cumbersome for my computer intellect

It can seem daunting at first Mike, but hang in there! The method I described above is the most complete way to permanently remove any traces of the account Cadillac used to pre-load your apps, thanks to how Apple's system works.

This instructional page from Apple has photos, which may help. It's actually easier than it seems, and worth struggling through once so you can enjoy all the updates to your Cadillac apps. Once you've signed in to the iPad with your account, all apps and downloads will be tied to your email address (not Cadillac's) and function perfectly. Try reading this link and giving it another go.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL

www.cadillactony.com

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

If I decide to trade for the XTS, I think we should all do a road trip and caravan down to Cadillac Tony's so he can set up our iPads for us.

wkincy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS

I took the easy way. I simply deleted (so far) the Adobe Reader app, the MyCadillac app and the Cue Trainer app that had been downloaded on Caddie's iTunes account.

I then only had to reload the deleted apps from my own itunes account. Although that should be trivial, I am still trying to solve 2 problems....first is where to get the pdf file with the XTS owners manual that was in the preinstalled Adobe Readers app. I will look around for it and may yet find it.

The other is that iTunes has never heard of a MyCadillac app. Edit: In the iTunes store on my computer I did find a myCadillac iPhone app but the app store on the iPad can't find it at all.

I am now reinstalling the OnStar RemoteLink app after deleting Cadillac's download and resourcing it from my iTunes account.

After the 4 deletes and the 4 installs I should again be in control of this iPad.

Thanks for the help, Tony.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.