AWD vs FWD and adaptive cruise control
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By CDN XTS
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, AWD vs FWD and adaptive cruise control in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm about to order a 2013 XTS premium. The alternative is an Audi A7 (for about $15,000 more). I generally ...
    twilightround is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

AWD vs FWD and adaptive cruise control

I'm about to order a 2013 XTS premium. The alternative is an Audi A7 (for about $15,000 more). I generally have not liked front wheel drive on other cars. I did drive a FWD XTS and found it better than most FWDs. I understand that there are advantages to AWD in snow and heavy rain. My question is whether the AWD XTS drives better under normal conditions. I drove an Audi A7 (AWD) and found that it didn't understeer as much as I expected and felt pretty balanced. Does anyone know what the split is front-to-rear on the AWD XTS, how it affects weight distribution, how it affects handling? There doesn't seem to be much technical information available on it from Cadillac.

Also, I want to get the adaptive cruise control, which now seems to be available. Any experience/advice with that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Re: AWD vs FWD and adaptive cruise control

How about "seat of the pants" reply? I've owned BMW xDrive (AWD) and now my XTS Premium AWD. I have driven FWD modles of these models. The feel is different, the steering is different, the drive is different. Different being better, more solid, more feeling of control. As far as adaptive speed control, sorry no experience with it; I prefer to stay awake and change speed control when overtaking slower vehicles

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The bosch/GM AWD system in the XTS is rear drive biased just like in the A7--it's based on the one in the CTS. It's acutally technically a more advanced unit than the A7 in that it's not using brake force distribution with open diffs like the quattro system and uses real LSD's--albeit they're still eletroniclly controlled clutch packs. . You have to pickup an S7 and then tack on the sports diff to get something similar to this.

For some reason the germans have been infatuated with open diff BFD AWD systems for a few years now. They suck.

twilightround is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That's very interesting, thank you both. That's exactly what I wanted to know. M5eater - how is it that you know all this? I could not find this information on the Cadillac website. This forum is excellent. I'm going to go ahead and get the AWD.

----------

A follow-up - if you get the adaptive cruise control, can the cruise control still be used without the adaptive feature if you want to use it without? I like it, my wife thinks she would not use it but wants the cruise control ...

JSenecal is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looking though the owners manual, it doesn't look like you can turn off the adaptive features of the cruise control if you have adaptive cruise control.

Of course, if you break yourself when something is in front of you, that disengages either cruise control.

I'm waiting for this feature, but a local dealer is guessing December before it's available. (the end of fall).

MikeM2013XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSenecal
    Looking though the owners manual, it doesn't look like you can turn off the adaptive features of the cruise control if you have adaptive cruise control.

Of course, if you break yourself when something is in front of you, that disengages either cruise control.

I'm waiting for this feature, but a local dealer is guessing December before it's available. (the end of fall).
    I just took delivery of my XTS Platinum. It is the second Caddy I've owned with ACC. Once you are used to it you'll never want to be without it again.

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Love the ACC on my XTS Plantinum. Works great and you are still in charge just as with normal CC and I certainly keep my eyes on the road and the car in front of me, but I liked the way it automatically kept the correct distance - slowing down - speeding up. With normal CC you disengage then either manually increase speed or use resume (which may be to much and you have to disengage again - not so with ACC it just keeps the correct distance of which you have 3 choices) Now you have to read the manual as to how it could react in certain curves and ups and downs and have to use common sence.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

I have ACC on my STS and its my favorite feature. Nothing like setting cruise control and letting the car do the rest.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.