Adaptive Forward Lighting is not very Adaptive on my new XTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Adaptive Forward Lighting is not very Adaptive on my new XTS in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello All Has anyone else had issues with the (AFL) headlights pointing straight in front about 10-15 yards? I can't ...
    chrisw24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium

Adaptive Forward Lighting is not very Adaptive on my new XTS

Hello All

Has anyone else had issues with the (AFL) headlights pointing straight in front about 10-15 yards? I can't see anything on the road more than 15 yards in front of me. The only time I notice the headlamps moving is when I start the car.

Just got the car back from the dealer today and I believe their stance on the problem was seeing that the headlamps move in all directions, then there isn't a problem. The software was updated to address 3 other issues I had. Their mindset was that the system was rebooted and updated and that I should test it out tonight. You can see if from the picture that one, I'm speeding, two I can't see anything in the middle of the road. I will be able to see it hit the car which I guess its important to know what you hit.

Has anybody else experienced this issue yet with the XTS? Also, does anyone have a AF-Headlamp indicator light pop up with starting the car. Mine doesn't ?

Thanks
    Chris

afl_small.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Adaptive Forward Lighting is not very Adaptive on my new XTS

Needless to say, its unsafe to drive at night.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance

I would imagine the lights are intended to move left to right, not up and down and from the photo, they're aimed straight ahead. How about this being a suspension leveling issue, with the backend being a bit too high??

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

That's a weird light pattern. When you put the car up to a wall or garage door at night is there a dip in the center or a v in the center? My srx with HIDs had a fuller pattern than that and on low beams lit up the road like crazy.

According to AFL manual, it suppose to adjust up and down based on oncoming traffic headlights/taillights in front of the car. I believe the sensor in the mirror may be faulty?

Is this normal???? Do others with XTS get better road lighting than in the picture? Based on the lack of response, I think this may be normal?

fmatiyat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2013 XTS4 Platinum

I live in the Gulf region, and just got my XTS4 Platinum last week.
    I have been trying hard to observe any movement of the forward light, but it just does not seem to move in any direction when driving at speeds above 30 mph.
    Chris, what is the production date of your car?

10mikeymike is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

I got my first Lexus, an LS430 in 2005 and have had 4 since then. On the first one the movement of the lights was very noticeable. Sometimes, it was a little "jerky" when returning to head on position. If I recall correctly, I believe the movement was something like 15 degrees to the left and a lesser amount, maybe 8 - 10 degrees to the right. I now have an 11 LS460L and while the light beam when turning is very noticeable, it's not as pronounced, (smoother) as with the earlier models. Personally, I don't think the GM/Cadillac version of Adaptive Front Lighting is as good as what Lexus uses. Like fmatiyat has indicated, I haven't detected any movement when going around corners in areas where the movement is easily observed in my Lexus. Another observation I've made is that the Cadillac HID headlights are not as bright as the HID's on my Lexus. For that matter, they're not as bright as the HID's on my 2006 Vette. Strangely, my Vette is lowered and I still get oncoming cars flashing their high beams at me and I never re-aimed my headlights after lowering the car.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

I have not been able to notice the adaptive lighting on SilverFox (Platinum) when cornering. Perhaps it is working perfectly and flawlessly- just don't see it as I have in other cars with adaptive lighting. I also have received several 'hay you got your brights on dummy flashes' on straight roads when I do not have my brights on. Overall brightness seems just fine however.

fmatiyat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2013 XTS4 Platinum

Guys, my CTS-V Coupe's AFL is very much noticeable even at lower speeds!!
    I think this issue pertains to the new XTS only.. I doubt that we are not noticing it, and I call upon Cadillac to investigate the matter.
    The dealers overhere said that when you turn the car on infront of a wall, as long as you see the lights moving up/down and right/left, the AFL should be working fine, but I would have to say that I am in disagreement with this sweeping logic... What do you think guys?

FormerBenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS4 PLATINUM

From what I can tell the lights do move up an down in an effort to stay level, I do not notice them reacting at all to oncoming traffic, but I do see the move left to right on twist backroads. Seems easier to notice the lateral movement on darker roads.... TulsaVic may have a point about the rear suspension being jacked up too high... i had a problem with the rear self leveling suspension--the car was about 1.5" too high, but after they lowered it if there was any improvement in the lighting I did not notice. I will say that when I have the high-beams on (manually of course, no intellibeam ) the road is lit up like a football stadium!

FormerBenz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS4 PLATINUM

UPDATE: I noticed tonight that my lights are not moving left to right as much as they used to. I'm wondering if the big CUE update also updated some of the other software on the car. I have a windy driveway and used to see them move left to right all the time. Tonight: Seemed like NO movement at all. Very odd. Has anyone else noticed a change post-software update?

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBenz View Post
    UPDATE: I noticed tonight that my lights are not moving left to right as much as they used to. I'm wondering if the big CUE update also updated some of the other software on the car. I have a windy driveway and used to see them move left to right all the time. Tonight: Seemed like NO movement at all. Very odd. Has anyone else noticed a change post-software update?
    It seems that SilverFox's lights (Platinum) do follow the road and light appropriate areas as I take curves. This observation was made last night post all of the CUE updates.

kimbo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS-4

When driving in fog this past winter (it is Spring, right???), it's been easy to see the AFLs shift the beam horizontally. However, I have not noticed any up/down movement. The high beams only appear to move a shutter that allows more light to be projected down the road. Aside from that HB is no brighter than LB. My 2008 BMW 535i had "brighter brights".

BTW, I'd like to see a high beam indicator in the head up display. I'm sure on-coming drivers would appreciate it, too!

----------

When driving in fog this past winter (it is Spring, right???), it's been easy to see the AFLs shift the beam horizontally. However, I have not noticed any up/down movement. The high beams only appear to move a shutter that allows more light to be projected down the road. Aside from that HB is no brighter than LB. My 2008 BMW 535i had "brighter brights".

BTW, I'd like to see a high beam indicator in the head up display. I'm sure on-coming drivers would appreciate it, too!

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by kimbo1 View Post

----------

The hi beam indicator in the HUD is a great idea.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.