XTS vs STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS vs STS in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hello - currently driving '10 DTS Performance ..DH finds he has to 'fight' the wheel in a curve -tech checked ...
    SHOWGIRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Awesome 2010 DTS Premium(former CTS '10 owner)

XTS vs STS

hello - currently driving '10 DTS Performance ..DH finds he has to 'fight' the wheel in a curve -tech checked it out -no problem it's o.k ...told this is how a FWD feels (he always had RWD until this '10) ... going to try the XTS tomorrow -realize it's also a FWD but it 'does' has MRC ... but don't know if MRC will calm the 'torque-pull' on FWD compared to our FWD DTS 'without' MRC... ..
    ..just had an eye on an '11 STS, 13 K but it's 'gone' so we never had the chance to even try it (to compare the FWD to the RWD)
    any input, suggestions, etc. are welcome - thanks in advance ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOWGIRL
    hello - currently driving '10 DTS Performance ..DH finds he has to 'fight' the wheel in a curve -tech checked it out -no problem it's o.k ...told this is how a FWD feels (he always had RWD until this '10) ... going to try the XTS tomorrow -realize it's also a FWD but it has MRC so but don't know if MRC will calm the 'torque-pull' on FWD compared to our FWD DTS 'without' MRC... ..
    ..just had an eye on an '11 STS, 13 K but it's 'gone' so we never had the chance to even try it (to compare the FWD to the RWD)
    Get the XTS hands down. I own loaded '05 STS and while a great car XTS is way nicer ..

hueterm is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOWGIRL View Post
    hello - currently driving '10 DTS Performance ..DH finds he has to 'fight' the wheel in a curve -tech checked it out -no problem it's o.k ...told this is how a FWD feels (he always had RWD until this '10) ... going to try the XTS tomorrow -realize it's also a FWD but it has MRC so but don't know if MRC will calm the 'torque-pull' on FWD compared to our FWD DTS 'without' MRC... ..
    If you have a DTS Performance, you have MRC. However, MRC won't do much for torque steer. The XTS' Hi-per strut system is supposed to help.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Re: XTS vs STS

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Get the XTS hands down. I own loaded '05 STS and while a great car XTS is way nicer ..
    thanks for the input - are you then saying that inspite of the fact the XTS is a FWD 'with' MRC, whatever GM has done to it one doesn't feel the 'torque=pull' (DH calls it 'fighting the steering wheel' as he has to with our '10 DTS without MRC) going around curves over 40MPH? ... and you don't feel we've missed anything by losing that resale '11 STS that just got sold -out from under us ?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    If you have a DTS Performance, you have MRC. However, MRC won't do much for torque steer. The XTS' Hi-per strut system is supposed to help.
    -------------------------------------------------
    our current 2010 ''performance' DTS does not have MRC (it was not even an 'option' on that level-''performance'' for '10) - only the ''platinum' level had it + 18'' wheels ... our 'performance' came standard without MRC and with ''17'' wheels.... thanks so much for your input about the XTS.

DG2

thanks for the input - are you then saying that inspite of the fact the XTS is a FWD 'with' MRC, whatever GM has done to it one doesn't feel the 'torque=pull' (DH calls it 'fighting the steering wheel' as he has to with our '10 DTS without MRC) going around curves over 40MPH? ... and you don't feel we've missed anything by losing that resale '11 STS that just got sold -out from under us ?

----------

-------------------------------------------------
    our current 2010 ''performance' DTS does not have MRC (it was not even an 'option' on that level-''performance'' for '10) - only the ''platinum' level had it + 18'' wheels ... our 'performance' came standard without MRC and with ''17'' wheels.... thanks so much for your input about the XTS.
    I just rented a 2012 Buick Lacrosse in California and had for 5 days. As you know the power plant and driveline in XTS are the same as Buick. The power handling and overall ride quality was far superior to my V8 STS with MRC. I also test drove an XTS twice and the ride and handling with MRC was superb.

Unless you live in the Alps or some remote area with hairpin turns after hairpin turn the XTS is possibly the most comfortable sedan on the market in this price range and is more then capable in handling real world roads.

I just rented a 2012 Buick Lacrosse in California and had for 5 days. As you know the power plant and driveline in XTS are the same as Buick. The power handling and overall ride quality was far superior to my V8 STS with MRC. I also test drove an XTS twice and the ride and handling with MRC was superb.

Unless you live in the Alps or some remote area with hairpin turns after hairpin turn the XTS is possibly the most comfortable sedan on the market in this price range and is more then capable in handling real world roads.
    ----------------------------
    We don't live in the ''Alps' - LOL (enjoyed that quip ).
    Your description of the XTS is an eye-opener insofar my thinking that we lost a good deal not acting quickly enough for that '11 STS (which was a V6 by the way) !!...maybe it was for the best - LOL.
    1. didn't know the '12 Lacrosse/XTS share power plant/driveline; so 'that' being the case let me play the 'devil's advocate': why not just get the Lacrosse & save the money -I'm not trying to be 'glib' - i saw one on the road and it's gorgeous! But maybe it doesn't have the MRC and that MRC adds even more refinement between the Lacrosse & the XTS ? (thus the cost difference)
    2. are your talking about both a '12 & 13 XTS or just the '13 that maybe have had some 'refinements' ?
    3. As i stated (ad nauseam) DH's disappointment with our '10 DTS (without MRC) is torque-pull requiring him to (what he calls it) 'to fight the wheel''... I'm assuming even tho the LaCrosse and the XTS 'with' MRC do not have that problem ?
    Thank you so very much for your time and help !!! showgirl

DG2
    XTS is only a 2013. If you don't drool over the interior style and aggressive exterior style of the XTS , then yeah get the Buick. The Lacrosse is a great car no doubt. While same engine and platform the XTS is a notch up. If you can afford the $10k more buy the Cadillac. Otherwise you will be more then please wit the Buick

XTS is only a 2013. If you don't drool over the interior style and aggressive exterior style of the XTS , then yeah get the Buick. The Lacrosse is a great car no doubt. While same engine and platform the XTS is a notch up. If you can afford the $10k more buy the Cadillac. Otherwise you will be more then please wit the Buick
    -------------------------------
    just read that the Lacross is 5'' shorter than the XTS so that may compromise truck space but if not, i have no objection getting the Lacross ( if i get the 'same' ride as the XTS by getting the Lacrosse 'touring' with MRC) ..don't mind keeping the $10k in my pocket - lol ... THANKS so much for your input !!!! showgirl

DG2
    -------------------------------
    just read that the Lacross is 5'' shorter than the XTS so that may compromise truck space but if not, i have no objection getting the Lacross ( if i get the 'same' ride as the XTS by getting the Lacrosse 'touring' with MRC) ..don't mind keeping the $10k in my pocket - lol ... THANKS so much for your input !!!! showgirl
    You got it. Either way you go your making a great purchase !!

You got it. Either way you go your making a great purchase !!
    --------------------------------------
    much appreciated !!!!

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

While the XTS and the Lacrosse are built on the same platform, they are not the same car. For instance, while the Lacrosse offers an adjustable suspension on the top level Touring, it is not an MRC suspension, and the shocks aren't nearly as good (or as expensive, either). The XTS has high performance Brembo brakes, which are far superior to the brakes on the Buick. The engine power is similar in both, and the weight of the Touring is similar, so performance and economy should be similar, and both models have the Hi-Per struts, which fight torque-steer. The XTS has a bigger trunk, but interior room is similar. The Cadillac feels a bit roomier to me, because of more glass and better visibility.

The biggest difference is in the interior. The Lacrosse looks nice, but has hard surfaces, and only fake wood. The Cadillac's interior is one of GM's best, especially from the Luxury level on up, and the difference should be immediately obvious when opening the door, and then when sitting down. No comparison, IMO. Of course, quality costs. Then, there are the extra levels of technology, like CUE and vibrating seats, and the extra warranty, free loaners, and free maintenance. None of this is really "free", and it's what separates an aspirational make from a true luxury premium brand.

[QUOTE=marktanner;3107362]While the XTS and the Lacrosse are built on the same platform, they are not the same car. For instance, while the Lacrosse offers an adjustable suspension on the top level Touring, it is not an MRC suspension, and the shocks aren't nearly as good (or as expensive, either). The XTS has high performance Brembo brakes, which are far superior to the brakes on the Buick. The engine power is similar in both, and the weight of the Touring is similar, so performance and economy should be similar, and both models have the Hi-Per struts, which fight torque-steer. The XTS has a bigger trunk, but interior room is similar. The Cadillac feels a bit roomier to me, because of more glass and better visibility.

The biggest difference is in the interior. The Lacrosse looks nice, but has hard surfaces, and only fake wood. The Cadillac's interior is one of GM's best, especially from the Luxury level on up, and the difference should be immediately obvious when opening the door, and then when sitting down. No comparison, IMO. Of course, quality costs. Then, there are the extra levels of technology, like CUE and vibrating seats, and the extra warranty, free loaners, and free maintenance. None of this is really "free", and it's what separates an aspirational make from a true luxury premium brand.[/QUOTE
    -----------------------------
    You make salient points - can't debate a one of them ... many thanks for your time and input !!! SG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.