be careful of the auto venting feature on the XTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, be careful of the auto venting feature on the XTS in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The new XTS has a feature not in the owners manual and the dealers are not even aware of. I ...
    big rich is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2010 CTS

be careful of the auto venting feature on the XTS

The new XTS has a feature not in the owners manual and the dealers are not even aware of. I found out by accident. I locked my car with the windows up and went inside . When I went out later it was raining and all four windows on my new car were down. I of course started the car an rolled up the windows and then called the dealer. They had no clue why that happened . I brought in the car to the dealer and the next day they called to tell me it is a feature of the car called automatic venting. By holding the key fob unlock button down for three to five seconds all windows will open. The key fob is senitive and has a long range .We think it was in my wifes pocketbook and when she set it down some how it was enough to open the windows. It could happen just as easy in your pocket. Besides the weather it could also open up your car in an area where it needs to be locked up for safety etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

marathonman89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V6 DI, 2013 XTS Premium FWD

Re: be careful of the auto venting feature on the XTS

This happened to me when I tried to remote start the car from the key fob back in July when I first got my XTS. Never did figure out what happened and the dealer was clueless.

Thanks for the heads up.

As an aside, it would have been a nice feature to include windows up by holding the lock button for 5 seconds.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

They stole that feature from BMW.

docjay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I didn't know about that feature but that does explain why sometimes I walk to my car from work only to find the trunk open. The key does have a very long range and the buttons can be pushed by accident while in your pocket. I'm probably going to get some sort of a cover for the key to avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike View Post
    That's interesting because my 2005 Mercedes Benz did this too.

dup.

handymantoo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium XTS

I had the same problem with the trunk wide open one morning while visiting friends. I now make sure I have nothing else in the pocket with the Fob. The range of the fob is over 2000 ft., Twice as far as previous STS. What I do now is use the valet option whenever I leave the car some where other than my garage. The valet mod locks all functions. Fob should have long range or short range setting. This long range to me is a negative not a positive. I cannot think of any situation where its an advantage to use the Fob two blocks away.

longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big rich
    The new XTS has a feature not in the owners manual and the dealers are not even aware of. I found out by accident. I locked my car with the windows up and went inside . When I went out later it was raining and all four windows on my new car were down. I of course started the car an rolled up the windows and then called the dealer. They had no clue why that happened . I brought in the car to the dealer and the next day they called to tell me it is a feature of the car called automatic venting. By holding the key fob unlock button down for three to five seconds all windows will open. The key fob is senitive and has a long range .We think it was in my wifes pocketbook and when she set it down some how it was enough to open the windows. It could happen just as easy in your pocket. Besides the weather it could also open up your car in an area where it needs to be locked up for safety etc.
    Thank you very much I keep rolling my windows down with no answer as to why. I agree it would be nice if you could roll them up with the same function.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

My 2010 Dodge Ram does the same thing if you hold the unlock button. I don't like it either.

big rich is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2010 CTS

After much ado with Cadillac found out that the feature can be disabled by the dealer. Most people at Cadillac not aware of the feature. Dealer can reprogram the key fob to remove the feature. I suggest you do it before the windows go down in a rain storm or in a bad area .be aware that most dealers do not even know this feature exists.
    good luck Rich

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    The earlier cadillacs do that too. I think 06 and up at least on STS. And can be programmed on 05 STS also. I had a 98 Lexus GS400 that did the same thing. Not a new feature by any means

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by truckinman View Post
    The earlier cadillacs do that too. I think 06 and up at least on STS. And can be programmed on 05 STS also. I had a 98 Lexus GS400 that did the same thing. Not a new feature by any means
    Not aware of it on my '08 DTS. But I have popped the trunk or locked/unlocked the doors by having the button pressed while the fob was in my jeans.

I think before I'd disable the feature (seems pretty practical to me, at least would have been in my prior location--Tulsa) I'd buy one of those stupid leather cases for the fob.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic

Not aware of it on my '08 DTS. But I have popped the trunk or locked/unlocked the doors by having the button pressed while the fob was in my jeans.

I think before I'd disable the feature (seems pretty practical to me, at least would have been in my prior location--Tulsa) I'd buy one of those stupid leather cases for the fob.
    If I remember right, the DTS does not have the keyless system does it? It uses the mechanical key to start the car still. No push button start. If that's the case, I believe only the keyless Cadillacs have this feature. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the case.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by truckinman View Post
    If I remember right, the DTS does not have the keyless system does it? It uses the mechanical key to start the car still. No push button start. If that's the case, I believe only the keyless Cadillacs have this feature. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the case.
    Correct. Does have remote start but needs a key in the ignition to drive away.

mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike View Post
    I owned an Altima that did the same thing. Is this a Cadillac forum or a Cadillac bashing forum by all the BMW lovers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.