Clear bra?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Clear bra? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I really had bad luck with my black Avalon with dings and paint scratches. Was think of getting clear bra ...
    longslim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Clear bra?

I really had bad luck with my black Avalon with dings and paint scratches.
    Was think of getting clear bra but heard stories of yellowing and the price is sort of high. I was quoted $2200 for car or $1100 for front bumber and hood. Also I'd like to put mud flaps on car I hate that grit and grime you get from the road. Anyone did clear coat yet are thinking of it I'd like to hear your opinion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wthomas33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX 2013 XTS4 ..had 07 DTS 01 Deville 97 elDo 86 dvll

Re: Clear bra?

For that much money, couldn't you just get the front resprayed every couple of years?

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

The clear "bras" do not last especially if you ride in areas with lots of gravel or lots of bugs. 3-4 years and they look terrible. With the XTS being new, I doubt there is a traditional bra for the front end, but that is the only thing that will protect against the little missiles on the road. You cannot leave it on all the time and it needs a good coat of wax underneath the bra to prevent paint damage. I have one on my '04 Corvette convertible with 8700 miles when it goes on the road. Nothing on my BMW, F150, or Street Glide. Mud guards are another thing. If there isn't a custom set for the XTS, don't waste your money because it will look horrid. At the end of the day, save your money, drive the car and when it shows some wear, bring it in to a quality body shop to repair the frontal dings or the pits behind the wheels. It will be far less expensive that the clear crap. And just so you know, I'm as anal as the next guy about his cars and motorcycles and I spend a lot of time polishing and when I see a chip, I've learned how to cover it without "blobbing" it.

Quote Originally Posted by wthomas33
    For that much money, couldn't you just get the front resprayed every couple of years?
    Lol yeah sort how I viewed that quote. I'm not above filing an insurance claim if the damage is high, a good paint job is around $3k. I'm a little piss anyway as my policy went up 35% over my Toyota Avalon, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT Mike
    The clear "bras" do not last especially if you ride in areas with lots of gravel or lots of bugs. 3-4 years and they look terrible. With the XTS being new, I doubt there is a traditional bra for the front end, but that is the only thing that will protect against the little missiles on the road. You cannot leave it on all the time and it needs a good coat of wax underneath the bra to prevent paint damage. I have one on my '04 Corvette convertible with 8700 miles when it goes on the road. Nothing on my BMW, F150, or Street Glide. Mud guards are another thing. If there isn't a custom set for the XTS, don't waste your money because it will look horrid. At the end of the day, save your money, drive the car and when it shows some wear, bring it in to a quality body shop to repair the frontal dings or the pits behind the wheels. It will be far less expensive that the clear crap. And just so you know, I'm as anal as the next guy about his cars and motorcycles and I spend a lot of time polishing and when I see a chip, I've learned how to cover it without "blobbing" it.
    Okay 8700 on a 04 how the hell do you do that? I've got 635 on the XTS in 17 days wow I' m parking mines and throwing away the key. You're right there aren't any custom mud guards I can find on the net. I also wanted a custom grill till my wife said hell to the no lol. But I must admit she is correct everyone who compliment me on the car all said they love the Caddy grill. I got anal with this car even ordering all my cleaning and wax supplies. I decide to wash it myself no car wash for this car, well maybe after the first year I will.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Bought the vette a year ago with 7200 miles on the clock. It's just my toy.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance

This what you're looking for: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rotection/Film ? Superjim on the DTS forum said he has the product on his White Diamond DTS and loves it. No discoloration.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

You should pay about $600-$700 for 3M Clear Bra (or comparable) on the front 1/4 and side mirrors. More coverage=more $$. I've had it on 3 cars and been very happy with the product. Perfect protection for small road debris. Well worth it IMHO.

wthomas33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX 2013 XTS4 ..had 07 DTS 01 Deville 97 elDo 86 dvll

Longslim, I took delivery of my XTS4 on July 17 and I have 5k miles now!

Topless vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS V

< prefers no bra

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Respray every couple years? Have fun with that. Have fun matching and enjoy trying to figure out how many chips you can deal with until respray time, lol.

The good quality bras don't discolor and last many, many years...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

BreakThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe White, 2014 XTSV-Sport Black

Had a 3M clear bra put on my 11 V coupe over a year ago. All across the front, on the mirrors and behind the wheel wells. So far so good.

Gparr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Have 3M on my Mazda CX-9... Total front done to include lights...3rd up on hood. Also have area under door handles as well.

No yellowing and a quality job. Paid $700.00 2 years ago.

Do not go through the dealership or you will pay 2x more. Find a reputable installer and use them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.