White Diamond Tricoat issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, White Diamond Tricoat issue in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK guys. I washed the car yesterday and it was cloudy out. I never noticed this problem while it has ...
    Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

White Diamond Tricoat issue

OK guys. I washed the car yesterday and it was cloudy out. I never noticed this problem while it has been sunny. The problem is that the paint on the rear fascia doesn't match the paint at the rear quarter panel on both sides of the car. Since the seam is quite a ways up on the XTS, it' really noticeable. It's a whiter shade. There are also some dark blotchy areas below the gasoline fill door. I'll bring it up to my dealer and see what my options are. Having them repaint the whole quarter panel to eliminate the blotches is something I wpuldn't even consider. If the fascia is matched up better then the I don't think they would be as noticeable. Has anybody had luck having any parts of their car repainted with this color? From 10feet away the car still looks gorgeous. I have read some real hoor stories about this color since I got the car. I have read some of Tony's comments on how to use touch up paint when the time comes. The front fascia matches perfectly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: White Diamond Tricoat issue

Bumper color mismatches are a common and frustrating issue. Certain colors like Silver tend to escape this issue, with White Diamond and Gold being the two most difficult it seems. The more metallic in the paint, the more variation is possible in the final color.

In a nutshell, the drying time of the paint greatly influences the final color. When dealing with metal flake paints, the final color will appear darker the longer it takes to dry, as the flake has more time to "settle". Different substrates cause the paint to dry at different rates, with plastic bumpers drying faster (and thus causing a lighter shade) than metal body panels. Also, bumpers are painted in a different facility than the body, which means slight variations in the temperature or time of day between these two areas can lead to variations in the color as well.

PPG released a very informative brochure a few years back, and it's worth a read. I know the issue as I've seen it myself, and usually walking around and looking from a different angle makes the mismatch either more or less noticeable, right?

Probably your best course of action is to have the bumper cover refinished. A paint shop can match the body color by adding a slight darkening agent to the paint, often getting a better match than factory.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Thanks Tony. I kind of knew about the plastic versus metal. You're right that at different angles and lighting will change the look. I'll have my dealers body shop look at it and see what they recommend. I did happen to notice that the blotches below the gas filler door appear to have orange peel and may have been a repair at the factory. I had a silver 2001 DeVille that had the front fascia repainted after the car was already 4 years old and the dealer matched it perfectly with a better finish than the factory.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    Thanks Tony. I kind of knew about the plastic versus metal. You're right that at different angles and lighting will change the look. I'll have my dealers body shop look at it and see what they recommend. I did happen to notice that the blotches below the gas filler door appear to have orange peel and may have been a repair at the factory. I had a silver 2001 DeVille that had the front fascia repainted after the car was already 4 years old and the dealer matched it perfectly with a better finish than the factory.
    I can imagine how you feel. Get it properly taken care of. Don't take any short cuts from the dealer. The sooner the better. Get it done NOW. Since the car has left their lot, they could care less. You must be persistent.

OK guys. Went to the dealer today and spoke with body shop manager. He wants to re-shoot the whole quarter panel even the strip above the doors that goes to the front fender. He said he also has to blend into the rear door and possibly the trunk lid. He could see right away that the factory did a half azz job of repairing. He is guaranteeing me that it will look perfect or he won't release the car unrtil it does. I had the car in the sun yesterday and it really looked bad. He said if the dealer knew it came to them like that he would have taken care of it before anybody took delivery. I'm leaning towards having it done because I see it everytime I look at the car.

Took it in for the repair today. Keep me in your thoughts that it turns out OK. I have a CTS rental and there is no comparison to the XTS.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Good luck. I'm sure it will turn out ok.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    Took it in for the repair today. Keep me in your thoughts that it turns out OK. I have a CTS rental and there is no comparison to the XTS.
    Your last sentence has me seriously thinking XTS, instead of ATS. Does it seem much larger than the CTS?

The XTS feels so much smoother and quieter. The ride is alot nicer too. My wife has an 09 CTS4 and I always felt alittle cramped inside. Passenger side feels cramped too. Forget about any real leg room in the back seat of a CTS if you are putting the drivers seat back. 35.9 versus 40 inches for the XTS. Trunk space is 18 cubic feet versus 13.6 for the CTS. Plus the rear seat on both sides folds down. When I boought my 07 STS the one thing I missed from the 01 DeVille that I had was passenger room and trunk space. Not to mention a cushier ride. I have it all back now with the XTS. I will also say that it is much smoother that the Deville I had and the quietest car I have ever owned. I'm still babying it so I cant comment on hard acceleration. With the price of gas and tires the 3.6 in the XTS will suit me just fine.
    All I can say is take an XTS for a ride and then a CTS and make your decision. The CTS is being redesigned for the future so maybe some of the issues that bother me will go away. But anyway paint repairs make me vervous!!

Paint repair has been completed. Much to my surprise and relief it turned out very good. Factory repair is completly gone. They don't want to touch the fascia. Depending on the light and angle, sometimes there is a variance and sometimes there isn't. I gues I can live with that. By the way, does anybody know where the RPO sticker is on the XTS? I know they were looking for it in the trunk because the cargo net was disconnected. The painter was looking for it in the spare tire area. I don't see one anywhere.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Did he happen to look under the Spare tire cover?

That's where the CTS RPO sticker is.

Looks like he did look there because the cargo net was disconnected. It's not there. I looked myself. They were probably looking for the paint code.
    It's a double folding panel that covers the bottom of the trunk and I just don't see one. Weird

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I've never seen a GM white pearl or diamond paint that wasn't blotchy.

The only blotch on my car was the bad factory repair. That's been fixed. However, those plastic fascias are another issue. Sometimes they look good. Other time depending on the lighting they look bad. The dealer didn't want to even touch when I took it in for repair. You would think in this day and age they would have perfected the plastic versus metal painting issue. I know they are painted at another location before assembly. However you get that car in the sun and sparkles like a diamond with that color.

CAPT Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Reading this string has me thinking how did we get here? We are talking about a vehicle that costs more than four times as much as I was making as an Ensign in 1970. The dealer's lackadaisical attitude regarding the plastic panel is typical of today's humans? When do we say enough is enough? This is simply unacceptable?! It's 2012 and anyone who says that "that's the best we can do" should find other work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.