White Diamond Tricoat issue - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, White Diamond Tricoat issue in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Cadjiek . . . By the way, does anybody know where the RPO sticker is on the ...
    rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

Re: White Diamond Tricoat issue

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    . . . By the way, does anybody know where the RPO sticker is on the XTS? I know they were looking for it in the trunk because the cargo net was disconnected. The painter was looking for it in the spare tire area. I don't see one anywhere.
    According to the online XTS Owner's Manual, p. 12-1:

Service Parts Identification Label

This label, on the load floor under
    the spare tire cover in the trunk, has
    the following information:

. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

. Model designation.

. Paint information.

. Production options and special
    equipment.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

I started a separate thread on the label location. I read the manual but there is no label. I even pulled out the air compressor thinking it was underneath. Still no label in sight.

----------

There is another forum member tat can't find his either.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

The only blotch on my car was the bad factory repair. That's been fixed. However, those plastic fascias are another issue. Sometimes they look good. Other time depending on the lighting they look bad. The dealer didn't want to even touch when I took it in for repair. You would think in this day and age they would have perfected the plastic versus metal painting issue. I know they are painted at another location before assembly. However you get that car in the sun and sparkles like a diamond with that color.
    The fuel filler door on my silver '06 GTO is at least 2 shades lighter than the car's paint.

Denali_2014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I just purchased a 014 Sierra Denali with the white diamond tricoat. IF anyone has seen them GMC is makin them with those ridiculous lookin black pieces connected to the fenders. Well I ordered painted pieces from the GM accessories and of course they did not match the paint that came from the factory. I am looking at having them matched better. It does look good at certain angles of light and then other times they look horrible. The dealer is going to work with me but I will fight them if they try to get away from funding it. I love the truck and it looks great I am just expecting the best quality being it is a top of the line Denali.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Denali_2014 View Post
    I just purchased a 014 Sierra Denali with the white diamond tricoat. IF anyone has seen them GMC is makin them with those ridiculous lookin black pieces connected to the fenders. Well I ordered painted pieces from the GM accessories and of course they did not match the paint that came from the factory. I am looking at having them matched better. It does look good at certain angles of light and then other times they look horrible. The dealer is going to work with me but I will fight them if they try to get away from funding it. I love the truck and it looks great I am just expecting the best quality being it is a top of the line Denali.
    it will be interesting to see what direction they take. Truley GM isn't to blame for the mis-match for accessory parts installed after the sale, and this isn't a tricoat issue in itself; any metiallic paint would suffer the same problem you're describing. However, if they're selling it 'pre painted' and it looks noticeably 'off'..

me personally, I would say live with it. If you have them start painting fenders then the rest of the car will be mis-matched to the fenders, and so on and so forwarth.

Stevo Supremo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Yeah in certain light different colors can look whack on a car due to the bumper being plastic and the rest being a different material. MY buddy got a yellow camaro and the plastic bumpers have a different Hue to them than the car and of course the gas door to being plastic looks off under CERTAIN light, but in the bright sun its hard to tell. Whites look a bit funny to under certain light, its all about the different mediums that they were painted on.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The color difference has nothing to do with the material the paint is applied to. The bumpers are painted off the car, at a different station than the unibody. Different paint applied at different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    it will be interesting to see what direction they take. Truley GM isn't to blame for the mis-match for accessory parts installed after the sale, and this isn't a tricoat issue in itself; any metiallic paint would suffer the same problem you're describing. However, if they're selling it 'pre painted' and it looks noticeably 'off'.. me personally, I would say live with it. If you have them start painting fenders then the rest of the car will be mis-matched to the fenders, and so on and so forwarth.
    These parts were ordered by the dealer through GM per my request and installed before the sale took place. I special ordered the truck so i waited a good bit to get it so there was no way i was not going to finish the purchase. The fenders will not be painted just the plastic pieces connected to the fenders.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    The color difference has nothing to do with the material the paint is applied to. The bumpers are painted off the car, at a different station than the unibody. Different paint applied at different angles.
    I think that they can do better. I am going to have them do one to see if they can get it right then we can go from there. Its kind of shitty on why Gmc would go with stupid black pieces instead of psinting a full fender. Dumb in my opinion but i love the denali truck.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The only way they'll be close to perfect is if you have a GOOD shop paint them and blend them into the fenders.

Well i found a shop that does all the paint work for The Cadillac dealership. They seem to have a good method. The method they are using i have seen a video of this process being done on a Mercedes benz. They use spray cards to match and and they get the formula right they will spray the fender flare pieces. I hope they get a successful match. I think they will.

330GT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS, 2014 XTS-P

I started a separate thread on the label location. I read the manual but there is no label. I even pulled out the air compressor thinking it was underneath. Still no label in sight.

----------

There is another forum member tat can't find his either.
    The label isn't really under the spare or compressor - close but not under. It isn't that close either that you can lift the carpet and see it. This is what I did and what you may end up doing:

1. Undo and remove both cargo net loops. To access the T screws you have to remove the small cover at the base of the metal loop. Go easy and do not break the tabs.
    2. The rear bottom trunk cover comes off by pulling up but you have to free the retaining lip which is under the rubber gasket. Again go easy when prying.
    3. Once the unit is off, lift the carpet. The SPI label is on the floor on the left hand side of the spare wheel well.
    4. Reverse the steps for assembly.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Thanks 330gt. I found that out quite a few months ago from one of our members. Answer was in the
    thread that I had started.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.