Polished Aluminum Wheels
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Polished Aluminum Wheels in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anybody know if the polished aluminum wheels on our XTS's have a clear coat finish. The surface looks a ...
    Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Polished Aluminum Wheels

Does anybody know if the polished aluminum wheels on our XTS's have a clear coat finish. The surface looks a little different than the ones I had on my 07 STS. On the XTS I can actually see machineing or some kind of polishing marks on some of the surfaces on all four wheels. Is that normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: Polished Aluminum Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek View Post
    Does anybody know if the polished aluminum wheels on our XTS's have a clear coat finish. The surface looks a little different than the ones I had on my 07 STS. On the XTS I can actually see machineing or some kind of polishing marks on some of the surfaces on all four wheels. Is that normal?
    They look pretty normal to me. Here are some close ups of SilverFox's:

http://tinypic.com/r/2rmvacz/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/11m4vt0/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/atrhpu/6

Your second picture shows what Iam talking about. The spoke above the tire valve appears to have the brush markings I was describing I have some that seem to be a little excessive. Maybe Iam too picky. I'm probably the only person who will see them when I clean the wheels.

I see what you are describing @Cadjiek. I thought it might be from the finishing/polishing. I have not cleaned my wheels yet with anything other than a bit of soapy water.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Yes, they are absolutely clear coated. All GM polished aluminum wheels are.

The reason you see some fine brush marks in the polishing is because a coarser polishing process is used on the XTS wheels than on some other models (like the CTS). This is so the wheel finish matches the satin chrome trim around the doors. Other models have a bright, mirror chrome finish on the doors and body, so a higher polished finish is applied to the wheels on those cars than what is used on the XTS.

Hope that helps.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Yes, they are absolutely clear coated. All GM polished aluminum wheels are.

The reason you see some fine brush marks in the polishing is because a coarser polishing process is used on the XTS wheels than on some other models (like the CTS). This is so the wheel finish matches the satin chrome trim around the doors. Other models have a bright, mirror chrome finish on the doors and body, so a higher polished finish is applied to the wheels on those cars than what is used on the XTS.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the explanation 'Cadillac Tony.' Regardless they sure look great on the car!

Thanks Tony. It clears that up and makes sense. The wheels do look great on my White Diamond Tricoat XTS.

flying fossil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Kinda Red XTS Premium

I plan to have mine chrome plated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.