May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just saw and test drove an XTS for the first time today. What a beautiful machine. I loved everything ...
    docjay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though

I just saw and test drove an XTS for the first time today. What a beautiful machine. I loved everything about it except it could use more HP and torque. Additionally, I'm not sure it's a good fit for a 34 year old guy (seems a big more "mature", if you will). The dealer didn't have a platinum there, but is getting a black/black next week and I'll go check it out with my wife to see if she approves - as well as for a second test drive. I wouldn't modify anything on this classy car, but haven't seen the 20's that the platinum comes with. Do you think it's silly for a 34yo guy to be driving one of these?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though

Quote Originally Posted by docjay View Post
    I just saw and test drove an XTS for the first time today. What a beautiful machine. I loved everything about it except it could use more HP and torque. Additionally, I'm not sure it's a good fit for a 34 year old guy (seems a big more "mature", if you will). The dealer didn't have a platinum there, but is getting a black/black next week and I'll go check it out with my wife to see if she approves - as well as for a second test drive. I wouldn't modify anything on this classy car, but haven't seen the 20's that the platinum comes with. Do you think it's silly for a 34yo guy to be driving one of these?
    As to whether it is the right car for you is a personal decision. But here are two pictures of the 20s on my XTS:

docjay and docjay like this.

Loveldos is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillacs: '13 CTS Cpe, '01 SLS, '71 Eldo Conv

It's not silly for some guy 34 years old to drive an XTS Platinum--it's a beautiful high-tech car and likely the envy of many people! It is the perfect vehicle to travel the urban roadways of the United States, where road conditions and highway congestion often limit the opportunities to use excessive performance capabilities. There is not likely a more comfortable new car available from any other manufacturer.

Thank you guys. The more time that passes, the more I'm wanting it. Do you have a ballpark lease price target I should be shooting for? While we test drove, the salesman said it'll be something around "mid to high 700's with minimum down", but we didn't really get into numbers yet.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

It's perfectly reasonable for a 34 year old guy to be buying an XTS Platinum. I think Cadillac would love to have that demographic. After all, look at the ages of the people who were involved in it's conception and design.

But on the topic of those 20's, (and this probably should be another post), what's this I keep hearing from some that they wouldn't drive it off the dealers lot with those Goodyear RS A's. As if these are the worst tires in the world. What's with that? Can anyone elaborate?

Years ago, Cadillac made the mistake of going with Goodyear Eagles on Devilles; they shimmied and vibrated something evil. Is this happening again?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    If I get an XTS to replace my Town Car, it will leave the dealer with its tires replaced...

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post

But on the topic of those 20's, (and this probably should be another post), what's this I keep hearing from some that they wouldn't drive it off the dealers lot with those Goodyear RS A's. As if these are the worst tires in the world. What's with that? Can anyone elaborate?
    Years ago, Cadillac made the mistake of going with Goodyear Eagles on Devilles; they shimmied and vibrated something evil. Is this happening again?
    Hi Rick, my XTS Platinum came with Bridgestone Potenza P245/40 R20 95V M&S tires (see my picture of the tire below). As I commented in another thread, these have proven to be excellent so far with zero concerns. I have driven them at reasonably high speeds in 100+ degree weather (it's the desert here), torrential downpours (a real fluke here) and normal city driving. They have excellent traction, no vibration, and a very nice ride.

What kind of lease deals are you guys getting?

I got quoted just now for a premium with sunroof (MSRP $56,996) for 1st month + tax + license (so minimum drive-off) at $689/mo + tax. Is that reasonable? I'm wondering how much more a platinum would be and if it's even worth it. I don't care about the shades that much, or the 20's that it comes with. I do understand that it has a nice seude lining and two-tone interior though which may be worth the extra month.

And a platinum for same drive-off, but $739/mo + tax. Hmmm

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by docjay View Post
    And a platinum for same drive-off, but $739/mo + tax. Hmmm
    Go for the Platinum! You won't regret it. The suede headliner and ultra soft leather are worth the price of admission. The only reason I don't have one is that I'm waiting for the Sapphire Blue Metallic.

I'm 42 and have always had a Fleetwood/DeVille/DTS as my daily driver. I learned to drive on an '84 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance and have had a continuing love affair with them. That's not to say that I haven't owned/leased other cars simultaneously, but there's always a big Cadillac in my garage.

Now if I could convince Cadillac to reinstall the seat massage....

SunnDogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Hello docjay,

I do not think it is odd at all for a 34 y.o. guy to be driving one of these. I am 25 and test drove a premium model with sunroof a couple days ago. All I can say is that I am very impressed. Since then I have also driven an Audi A6 and a Mercedes E350. Both of those cars are more sporty, but I always wonder how often and where one can go really use that sportiness. I have yet to find a good time or place to really hammer the accelerator in a car. I want something that will be very comfortable but with enough kick. I sport shifted the XTS and it held the lower gears very well and provided that extra acceleration that may be needed every now and then, but I am no speed demon when heading to work with hundreds of other cars on the road. I just want my 45 minute drive to be comfortable and be able to listen to my music (by the way, the speakers were great). It is a possibility that out on the highway you may want to pass or quickly change lanes, but I can tell you from driving it on the highway that this is very possible and easy to do. I will be going for a second test drive soon. All I can say is that the car is very impressive and at the top of my list. I am also waiting for the Sapphire Blue Metallic exterior color and I wanted to check out the driver assistant package, which should include adaptive cruise and emergency braking. Hopefully it comes out soon since I really want and XTS soon, but I hear that the package will be coming out at the end of October. I cannot say I have any experience in the luxury car area, as I have not owned a luxury car and this will be my first. Therefore, take my comments for what they are coming from an inexperienced 25 year old. Thanks and I hope I was able to give you a new perspective.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by kipsts View Post
    Hi Rick, my XTS Platinum came with Bridgestone Potenza P245/40 R20 95V M&S tires (see my picture of the tire below). As I commented in another thread, these have proven to be excellent so far with zero concerns. I have driven them at reasonably high speeds in 100+ degree weather (it's the desert here), torrential downpours (a real fluke here) and normal city driving. They have excellent traction, no vibration, and a very nice ride.
    Hey Kip. Thanks for that quote about the Potenzas. Sounds a lot more promising.

Thanks for the great replies, guys! I'm going to wait until they get a Platinum package in stock next week for comparison before deciding (and going for a 2nd test drive). I'm glad a 25yo is considering this car, I guess I'm not THAT young afterall! I am going from a Mercedes with a V8 engine with close to 500hp to this, so it's a drastic change. I may keep that as a weekend car, but highly unlikely since the XTS has got me in love and I don't see myself driving the Mercedes if I have the XTS in the garage. You guys are a great, appreciated group of posters. Thanks for being so welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    The suede headliner and ultra soft leather are worth the price of admission.

Thank you rjm! I wasn't told that the seats are different from the premium and couldn't find information online about that. Are you sure the seats are different? I've yet to see a platinum in person... dealer only had luxury and premium packages today.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.