May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First off you can't be seriously comparing Cadillac to a Rolls or Bentley. That is a completely different class of ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Re: May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though

First off you can't be seriously comparing Cadillac to a Rolls or Bentley. That is a completely different class of car.

Secondly what you are overlooking that every manufacturer is downsizing their engines. Heck even Lamborghini has said tha the Aventador will be the last of its cars with a 12 cylinder. BMW is downsizing and going to turbo charged fours and sizes.

There have even been rumors that the next Vette may have a forced induction V6. The technology is such that you can get what used to be V8 power out of smaller engines, but in reality I doubt the Vette will ever have anything other than a V8. Not for anything other than it would be sacriligous.

Lexus doesn't even offer a V8 in the new GS.

Yes, Cadillac had issues, but it was all of GM. Even the Northstar had it's issues when the miles piled on with overheating and blown headgaskets, but again I don't understand your point. The world and the market is changing. The era of 501 cu in V8s in your Eldorados are gone.

I do believe that each manufacturer will still make a V8, but the volume seller will always be the smaller engines.

jjm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac DeVille DTS

Sadly, you probably happen to be right. It just seems the idea of a V-6 in a currently "top of line" Cadillac (I won't use the "F" word) would be just as sacrilegious as it is in a Corvette.

I guess the worst part is the XTS could've been that "F" model, because it IS overall a pretty nice car. I just can't wrap my head around the V-6 being a long time Cadillac owner (and I doubt I'm the only one). A V-8 maybe a with a twin-turbo coupled to an eight-speed automatic could have made this a Lexus LS competitor, possibly even an Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series competitor. But I know this was debated long before the XTS came out, and there were financial realities to deal with at GM. I guess it's a miracle this car came out at all.

Indeed I do miss the days of when Cadillac's were the biggest with the most unmistakably large, powerful V-8 engines, like the 500 V-8 under those long Eldorado hoods. I still remember what a technological advancement EFI was on those engines, and they did it again with the technological advancement of another V-8: the Northstar. Sure the Northstar had it's troubles, but so too did EFI, and it didn't mean Cadillac abandoned the V-8 altogether. Was kind of funny how the old guy in the Caddy could blow away most vehicles on the road.

In the end, you're right, times are changing. I just happen to think it's not for the better.

Joe

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm01
    Sadly, you probably happen to be right. It just seems the idea of a V-6 in a currently "top of line" Cadillac (I won't use the "F" word) would be just as sacrilegious as it is in a Corvette.

I guess the worst part is the XTS could've been that "F" model, because it IS overall a pretty nice car. I just can't wrap my head around the V-6 being a long time Cadillac owner (and I doubt I'm the only one). A V-8 maybe a with a twin-turbo coupled to an eight-speed automatic could have made this a Lexus LS competitor, possibly even an Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series competitor. But I know this was debated long before the XTS came out, and there were financial realities to deal with at GM. I guess it's a miracle this car came out at all.

Indeed I do miss the days of when Cadillac's were the biggest with the most unmistakably large, powerful V-8 engines, like the 500 V-8 under those long Eldorado hoods. I still remember what a technological advancement EFI was on those engines, and they did it again with the technological advancement of another V-8: the Northstar. Sure the Northstar had it's troubles, but so too did EFI, and it didn't mean Cadillac abandoned the V-8 altogether. Was kind of funny how the old guy in the Caddy could blow away most vehicles on the road.

In the end, you're right, times are changing. I just happen to think it's not for the better.

Joe
    Jim how can you say " things are changing but not fur the better"? For the first time since Cadillacs hay days they are in the same league as the best from Germany and Japan. Today, now Cadillac is better then ever , period.

I own that 2005 STS with a V8 that you mention.
    I also test drove the XTS twice and will tell you that the V6 in the XTS felt more peppy, smoother
    and quiter then my STS. I was very critical of the XTS when it first came out. However , that all changed once I drove one. It is a world class car that in many ways better then the 5 Series and Eclass MB.

The "anti GM" club that looms out there is finally going to be silenced. With what's in the line up today and what is yet to come , Cadillac is making the most exciting cars in the world today.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I just think the thought you absolutely have to have a V8 for luxury these days is misguided. If it works well and gets good mpg, all the better...

DG2
    So true.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by docjay View Post
    I am going from a Mercedes with a V8 engine with close to 500hp to this, so it's a drastic change..
    WTF!!!

and I thought I made a drastic change going from a BMW 7 series with sport package to an STS V8 AWD

I dont like the STS nearly as well but it was WAY less expensive at a time when I needed to save some $$...and mine was a purchase and not a lease

the STS was worth hat I paid....but doesnt have the driver capability or space of the BMW I traded...nor should it for the price difference

Warren

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by turnne

WTF!!!

and I thought I made a drastic change going from a BMW 7 series with sport package to an STS V8 AWD

I dont like the STS nearly as well but it was WAY less expensive at a time when I needed to save some $$...and mine was a purchase and not a lease

the STS was worth hat I paid....but doesnt have the driver capability or space of the BMW I traded...nor should it for the price difference

Warren
    But hopefully the new "flagship" will be a top tier Cadillac that exceeds all qualities of the 7 Series and S Class. No more excuses or compromise , Cadillac should own this space. Based on everything I am reading the GM check book is wide open to make this a reality.

docjay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    WTF!!!

Warren
    Yep, drastic for sure but I'm considering keeping the v8 as a second car. I've got a little one on the way and I can't have that two seater as my primary car. Anyway, going to work out numbers and hopefully find something good. I sat in a platinum today for the first time and fell in love with that interior. Wow.

Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES

docjay, are you a doc? I'm a med student and I drive a DTS. I never once thought it was an old man car. To my surprise I get only compliments from my peers, and medical professionals tend to be very thirsty for foreign car kool aid. My girlfriend loves the car too! I don't think the XTS looks elderly at all; in fact it shows that you have an appreciation for true luxury and sophistication. Personally, I'm holding out for the V8 flagship (not that I'm buying a new car anytime soon anyway), but if you like the XTS, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lev Blekher View Post
    docjay, are you a doc? I'm a med student and I drive a DTS. I never once thought it was an old man car. To my surprise I get only compliments from my peers, and medical professionals tend to be very thirsty for foreign car kool aid. My girlfriend loves the car too! I don't think the XTS looks elderly at all; in fact it shows that you have an appreciation for true luxury and sophistication. Personally, I'm holding out for the V8 flagship (not that I'm buying a new car anytime soon anyway), but if you like the XTS, go for it!
    Yes I am. If you're a med student, you won't be getting that new car anytime soon for sure, unfortunately Do you think the V8 flagship is going to be a bigger sedan, S-class/7-series size? I may end up getting my XTS this weekend. Working on finalizing some nice numbers.

SunnDogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Hey docjay, from what I have read it seems as if the new flagship sedan will be an S-Class/7 series competitor. If I remember correctly (and correct me if I am wrong), but the Omega platform is going to be used for the larger RWD flagship sedan. Sounds like it will be an interesting car and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Most people say that the XTS is a "stop-gap" and it may be, however I don't believe that this designation should detract anyone from the car. If you believe the car looks great (inside and out), drives at a level you deem acceptable or better, and fulfills any other requirements you have then there is no reason to shy away from the car (even if there is a stigma). I have been going around and trying to get some price quotes. I will be purchasing, and so far I have received a quote of $53,912 for a base premium XTS AWD, and $56,252 for a premium XTS AWD with sunroof, spare tire, rear power & manual shades. Of course you have to add tax, title, and trade-in to those amounts, but I think those are fair prices to start out. I am still shopping around and will see what other dealer incentives I can get added to sweeten the deal. Also, the Audi A6 keeps drawing me back for some reason, so I am still debating between the two vehicles. I just keep hearing about the cost to own a German car after the warranty period expires. How has the maintenance been on your Mercedes (I was looking at an E350 sedan, but I am not so sure about it anymore)? Don't forget to post some pictures if you do end up purchasing the XTS. Good luck shopping this weekend!

I'm not too crazy about the 20" wheels that come with the Platinum package and I asked the dealer if they'd swap them out for the 20" optional wheels on the Premium. Unfortunately, they can't swap out what's listed on the sticker. Kind of stuck here since I'm leasing and don't want to get aftermarket wheels or swap them out privately since I'll need to return the car with stock wheels

SunnDogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I agree, with the comment about the wheels. I did not like the chrome inserts in the wheels. They seemed out of place to me. In addition, I am not a fan of the grill on the Platinum. I personally like the grill on all of the other models. Although, I may go aftermarket with a grill. I have found some nice ones while just doing some random internet searches.

Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

I wish I saw more young people with Cadillacs. I wouldn't mind getting the XTS too. A 25 year old isn't going to look old in a Cadillac. I am just worried that, at over 40, I will look 60.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ormond
    I wish I saw more young people with Cadillacs. I wouldn't mind getting the XTS too. A 25 year old isn't going to look old in a Cadillac. I am just worried that, at over 40, I will look 60.
    Come on dude you can't be serious. Cadillacs are the hottest "young " car on the market. My
    17 year old drives my STS and says all her friends want a Caddy. So go treat yourself to one and you'll feel 17 all over again !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.