May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You should go for it! I have driven two of these and the only reason I don't have one yet ...
    Caddymania is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    You should go for it! I have driven two of these and the only reason I don't have one yet is that my dealership is low balling my trade-in big time (a 2009 STS with only 23k miles). I love the 20" wheels. And as far as your age goes, I drove a 1977 Fleetwood when I was 21.

corvette00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette

Re: May purchase a platinum next week: my concerns though

What state are you in? I drove a luxury and they wanted $640 a month on a 2 year 12k with min down. I want the premium and that vehicle is $770 same terms. The premium only stickered for about $2,500 more. I really want the 20's, Cadillac has needed these for a long time on a passenger car. I got my first Cadillac when I was 30, a new 94 ETC. That was a really fun car since the N* would blow the doors off a majority of the vehicles at the time. I do not understand Cadillac holding back on more power for the XTS. Make the engine upgrade an option and let us decide.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by docjay View Post
    Thank you rjm! I wasn't told that the seats are different from the premium and couldn't find information online about that. Are you sure the seats are different? I've yet to see a platinum in person... dealer only had luxury and premium packages today.
    The seats themselves aren't any different, but the leather is. The Base, Luxury, and Premiums have Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces with vinyl on the seatbacks/sides. Its been described to me as being very similar to the old nuance leather that Cadillac has used for years. The Platinum uses Opus leather, which is a semi-aniline, and glove soft. It also covers the dash, center console and door panels, along with upgraded wood with decorative inlays. Combined with the suede headliner, it makes the nominal upcharge for the Platinum (vs. the Premium) more than worth it.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by SunnDogg View Post
    Hello docjay,

I do not think it is odd at all for a 34 y.o. guy to be driving one of these. I am 25 and test drove a premium model with sunroof a couple days ago. All I can say is that I am very impressed. Since then I have also driven an Audi A6 and a Mercedes E350. Both of those cars are more sporty, but I always wonder how often and where one can go really use that sportiness. I have yet to find a good time or place to really hammer the accelerator in a car. I want something that will be very comfortable but with enough kick. I sport shifted the XTS and it held the lower gears very well and provided that extra acceleration that may be needed every now and then, but I am no speed demon when heading to work with hundreds of other cars on the road. I just want my 45 minute drive to be comfortable and be able to listen to my music (by the way, the speakers were great). It is a possibility that out on the highway you may want to pass or quickly change lanes, but I can tell you from driving it on the highway that this is very possible and easy to do. I will be going for a second test drive soon. All I can say is that the car is very impressive and at the top of my list. I am also waiting for the Sapphire Blue Metallic exterior color and I wanted to check out the driver assistant package, which should include adaptive cruise and emergency braking. Hopefully it comes out soon since I really want and XTS soon, but I hear that the package will be coming out at the end of October. I cannot say I have any experience in the luxury car area, as I have not owned a luxury car and this will be my first. Therefore, take my comments for what they are coming from an inexperienced 25 year old. Thanks and I hope I was able to give you a new perspective.
    Exactly!

This is why I have multiple vehicles. I want my daily driver to transport me (and my passengers) from point A to point B as comfortably as possible. Sure something with razor sharp handling, breakneck acceleration, feel every pit/pebble in the road suspension, corner on rails, etc. puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive one, but for the chore that is the daily commute...NO THANKS. Perhaps if my daily commute involved curving/winding two lane traffic free smooth pavement that allowed repeated blasts above 50 mph I might think differently.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddymania
    You should go for it! I have driven two of these and the only reason I don't have one yet is that my dealership is low balling my trade-in big time (a 2009 STS with only 23k miles). I love the 20" wheels. And as far as your age goes, I drove a 1977 Fleetwood when I was 21.
    How much is the dealer offering you ?

docjay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by corvette00 View Post
    What state are you in? I drove a luxury and they wanted $640 a month on a 2 year 12k with min down. I want the premium and that vehicle is $770 same terms. The premium only stickered for about $2,500 more. I really want the 20's, Cadillac has needed these for a long time on a passenger car. I got my first Cadillac when I was 30, a new 94 ETC. That was a really fun car since the N* would blow the doors off a majority of the vehicles at the time. I do not understand Cadillac holding back on more power for the XTS. Make the engine upgrade an option and let us decide.
    California

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I must first say that I am on the team that designed CUE, so I am definitely going to be biased. I am 28 and I would be thrilled to be driving an XTS. It's definitely peppy enough for daily driving, and it is crazy comfortable. Plus, it's got one heck of an infotainment system

If you guys ever have any questions on CUE, feel free to message me. I'm going to try to be perusing the forums whenever I get a chance to try to answer any questions that come up, but sometimes my day job gets in the way

SunnDogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

FYI, just checked the website and the new colors are available. Looks like they should be available for purchase.

Caddymania is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DG2

How much is the dealer offering you ?
    $21,500. It's black with black interior and has every option available on the V6, and it's in excellent condition. They have one with more miles they are advertising for $26,900.
    jgray8806 and jgray8806 like this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    The seats themselves aren't any different, but the leather is. The Base, Luxury, and Premiums have Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces with vinyl on the seatbacks/sides. Its been described to me as being very similar to the old nuance leather that Cadillac has used for years. The Platinum uses Opus leather, which is a semi-aniline, and glove soft. It also covers the dash, center console and door panels, along with upgraded wood with decorative inlays. Combined with the suede headliner, it makes the nominal upcharge for the Platinum (vs. the Premium) more than worth it.
    This is interesting. Last night was the first time I sat in an XTS (see my "XTS Impressions" thread). It was a Premium model and I said that putting aside CUE, I didn't notice an appreciable difference in interior quality from my '12 CTS coupe.

The person who sold me my coupe was giving me the overview on the XTS. Now he said the following to me, and I'm pretty much quoting him verbatim.

"The Premium is pretty much the way to go, the only thing that differentiates the Platinum is a rear sunshade and some cosmetic things".

It sounds like he glossed over a lot of what you mentioned above and explains why I didn't see an appreciable difference in interiors (again, CUE aside) over my 5 month old CTS Premium Coupe.

I also haven't done a comparison of features because I'm really not in the market. I was in there for another reason and wanted to see the XTS and CUE up close, and I was taking the salesman's word on the differences.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The hell with what's silly, it's a decent car. If you want it, drive it off the lot. After driving the Miata for a while I can certainly appreciate a comfortable vehicle more. As long as it's not on those god-awful RSA's. They were a bad all-season 7 years ago. They're even worse now that there are much better alternatives. They're not dangerous or anything, they're just not that great of a tire. I've no idea why GM is even using these things on a brand-new 50K model.

If you must have an opinion on the matter though, I would venture to say the body lines have adequately shrugged off any 'old Cadillac' themes while retaining a tasteful modern interpretation of sophistication and luxury.

Besides, brembo brakes= sporty car these days every 16 year old knows that.

The seats themselves aren't any different, but the leather is. The Base, Luxury, and Premiums have Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces with vinyl on the seatbacks/sides. Its been described to me as being very similar to the old nuance leather that Cadillac has used for years.
    In short, it's as hard as plastic? I almost hate the leather in the V.. the co-worker's ISC250's leather is glove soft, it's fantastic.

jjm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac DeVille DTS

I've driven Caddies and other big GM cars since I was a teen. Nothing wrong with it. I switched to the big Lincoln's in the early '90s, only because a Caddy was not much bigger than a Chevy and had underpowered engines. Caddy has lost me again by making small cars again, with a V-6 engine identical to what they're offering in the entry CTS - until ATS comes out, which who knows might have 3 or 4 cylinders. Only problem is I can't by American, since Lincoln now makes a bunch of V-6 lookalikes, and I'm not buying a Chrysler.

Keep the Mercedes as your "real" car, and use the XTS as your daily commuter car, since it's really not all that much different than a Camry or Accord or any other basic daily driver with it's V-6 engine and all.

Joe

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm01
    I've driven Caddies and other big GM cars since I was a teen. Nothing wrong with it. I switched to the big Lincoln's in the early '90s, only because a Caddy was not much bigger than a Chevy and had underpowered engines. Caddy has lost me again by making small cars again, with a V-6 engine identical to what they're offering in the entry CTS - until ATS comes out, which who knows might have 3 or 4 cylinders. Only problem is I can't by American, since Lincoln now makes a bunch of V-6 lookalikes, and I'm not buying a Chrysler.

Keep the Mercedes as your "real" car, and use the XTS as your daily commuter car, since it's really not all that much different than a Camry or Accord or any other basic daily driver with it's V-6 engine and all.

Joe
    What ?? The XTS is not a real car because it has a V6 ? Dude, get real .....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Ignore the trolls...

jjm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac DeVille DTS

Yes, a V-6 does not make for a real luxury vehicle. Marketed luxury does not make it so. Kind of reminds me of the folks who buy a $30K C-Class Mercedes or Lexus ES just to say they drive a "Mercedes" or "Lexus". Big deal.

Let's look at recent real full size luxury cars of the world and number of cylinders:

- Rolls Royce: V-8 or V-12
    - Bentley: V-8 or V-12
    - Mercedes S-Class V-8 or V-12*
    - BMW 7 Series: V-8 or V-12*
    - Lexus LS: V-8*
    - Infinity Q Series: V-8

* Mercedes and BMW did offer 6 cylinder on these models, but they weren't many takers.

Up until recently, a top of the line Cadillac (I'll be careful not to use the taboo word "flagship" to avoid all the little Chihuahuas coming out barking) always had 8 or more cylinders. This fact was even pointed out in the NY Times article referenced in another post: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/au....html?_r=1&hpw. To think there was a time Cadillac's had 12 and 16 cylinders, and there was no limit to excellence. Cadillac used to be considered the standard of the world. I guess now Cadillac buyers are content with "good enough" and meeting CAFE standards.

I guess a lot of folks forgot the STS fiasco. The STS was a great selling car, part Cadillac's revival in the 1990's with one of the most powerful V-8 engines of its time and far larger dimensions then it's predecessor. Then the 2005 came out which looked like a slightly larger CTS and a V-6 standard. I actually wanted an STS over the DTS, but in '05, but I just couldn't bring myself to fork over $69K for a fully optioned STS, when I could get a much larger DTS for $60K that was more like a traditional Cadillac. I suspect a lot of other Cadillac owners felt the same way, because the STS really didn't do very well, did it? With the exception of the CTS, Cadillac's history with 6 cylinder engines has been a complete disaster every time it's been tried. Most people who buy luxury cars - not pseudo luxury cars - want a substantial car with a substantial engine. Lincoln is already suffering through this with their MK aren't they?

Who knows, maybe things will be different this time.

Joe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.