Another XTS article - States the XTS falls well short of being a flagship vehicle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Another XTS article - States the XTS falls well short of being a flagship vehicle in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Been debated before. Not arguing either side. Just posting the article. http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,5518639.story...
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Another XTS article - States the XTS falls well short of being a flagship vehicle

Been debated before. Not arguing either side. Just posting the article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,5518639.story

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    That was the worst review of the XTS I have seen. The article makes some very fair points but overall I think they were way off base. Having driven the XTS twice I just do not see how 304 hp is "underpowered ". I felt the acceleration of the XTS was in line with my Northstar V8 in my STS

The Buick Lacross comments are fair and GM had to know they were going get bashed on that. Just wait till the Chevy Impala comes out.

Gary Lachey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Another XTS article - States the XTS falls well short of being a flagship vehicle

What a "hack job" that review is. GM never said is was a "flagship" product and at the price point it's positioned at, it's not pretending to be. The writer seems to be too stupid to use the steering wheel control to turn the radio volume down, so I guess you have to expect the article is equally stupid.

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

Re: Another XTS article - States the XTS falls well short of being a flagship vehicle

It fails to be what no one intended it to be...shocker

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Well, I have to agree with his comments on throttle response and transmission response. And, if you're not into the electronic gizmos but just want to be able to turn on the a/c when it's hot and the radio when you want to hear music, the entire CUE package is, well, an electronic gizmo. AND although design cues are Cadillac, the overall shape and the mechanicals ARE that of the LaCrosse. Totally disagree on the handling though. It felt quite responsive. The review did read kind of like what you would expect to see in a anti-GM Consumer Reports review.

DG2
    Unfortunately ( thanks to the election) the "anti GM articles are heating up. Forbes just had a full article saying GM heading towards bankruptcy again. Pure bunk of course and purely politics. Forbes seems to always forget that the auto rescue was started under "President Bush "

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    That was the worst review of the XTS I have seen. The article makes some very fair points but overall I think they were way off base. Having driven the XTS twice I just do not see how 304 hp is "underpowered ". I felt the acceleration of the XTS was in line with my Northstar V8 in my STS

The Buick Lacross comments are fair and GM had to know they were going get bashed on that. Just wait till the Chevy Impala comes out.
    The "underpowered" comment is somewhat expected when many cars at that pricepoint boast more powerful engines. Yes, the XTS may be quicker than the outgoing Northstars, but I could also say that my 2006 Mustang V6 convertible will outrun a late '60s V8 Mustang or Camaro, but that doesn't change the fact that it's underpowered compared to current model Mustang and Camaro V6s.

I can make the same argument for my 2012 CTS Coupe that has 318hp. It's quick enough, but if you're trying to benchmark yourself against the competition that may boast better 0-60 times, you have to expect to take a hit.

From my personal perspective, 0-60 wasn't the only criteria I based my purchase on so I take those comparison's with a grain of salt.

You have to expect though that if Cadillac is going to try and draw comparisons between the XTS and the Germans (BMW and Audi), you have to expect criticism on the handling characteristics of a FWD based car compared to the RWD BMWs, Benzes and Audis. Putting aside the fact that most people who drive these kinds of cars rarely drive them to the limits where these characteristics or perceived deficiencies present themselves. Once you compare yourself to the standard you are trying to catch you open yourself up.

My other concern is that I hope the "gussied up LaCrosse" comparisons don't hurt the brand. Badge engineering is what got GM into trouble. The Cimarron being the most egregious example of that.

Platform sharing is another thing that most automakers do today and have to in order to keep costs down. Lexus does it with the Toyota Camry/Lexus ES, Honda does it with the Accord/Acura TL among other examples. The difference is that there is enough to differentiate the ES and the TL from their "lesser" platform-mates that people will typically not confuse the two.

That is different than slapping a Cadillac crest on a Cavalier, or making a few cosmetic changes and making a Saturn Aura/Pontiac G6 out of a Chevy Malibu.

I think the XTS goes beyond that, but given the fact that they kept the dimensions similar to the LaCrosse it's inevitable people will draw the comparisons.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic
    Well, I have to agree with his comments on throttle response and transmission response. And, if you're not into the electronic gizmos but just want to be able to turn on the a/c when it's hot and the radio when you want to hear music, the entire CUE package is, well, an electronic gizmo. AND although design cues are Cadillac, the overall shape and the mechanicals ARE that of the LaCrosse. Totally disagree on the handling though. It felt quite responsive. The review did read kind of like what you would expect to see in a anti-GM Consumer Reports review.
    I also wasn't a huge fan of the transmission's response but that's fairly minor. I really do agree about impact harshness. If I get a livery version and it comes with RS-As, the XTS doesn't even leave the dealership until some good touring tires are on.

I really don't understand the mocking the writer commences on the XTS when it does everything its supposed to do right.

He is absolutely misguided if he thinks this was any attempt at a flagship and equally so if he thinks it was supposed to be a pseudo STS...

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63
    My other concern is that I hope the "gussied up LaCrosse" comparisons don't hurt the brand. Badge engineering is what got GM into trouble. The Cimarron being the most egregious example of that.

Platform sharing is another thing that most automakers do today and have to in order to keep costs down. Lexus does it with the Toyota Camry/Lexus ES, Honda does it with the Accord/Acura TL among other examples. The difference is that there is enough to differentiate the ES and the TL from their "lesser" platform-mates that people will typically not confuse the two.

That is different than slapping a Cadillac crest on a Cavalier, or making a few cosmetic changes and making a Saturn Aura/Pontiac G6 out of a Chevy Malibu.

I think the XTS goes beyond that, but given the fact that they kept the dimensions similar to the LaCrosse it's inevitable people will draw the comparisons.
    I do agree , that was risky to do with Cadillac considering the past. The new Impala is also built off the same platform and will have CUE albeit the Chevy version of CUE. The interior of the XTS is downright gorgeous and the front and rear are truly unique looking. I guess if VW can make an Porsche Cayanne, Panarama, Audi Crossover and VW Tourag all off the same platform then GM can do it too

If only they gave the XTS a unique engine over the Lacross and Impala. That said I do not think the platform share will hurt Cadillac. Overall response to XTS had been very positive and it is a very nice car !

Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

The article was very negative. I enjoyed my test drive in the XTS. I just wish it were a bit wider.

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    I do agree , that was risky to do with Cadillac considering the past. The new Impala is also built off the same platform and will have CUE albeit the Chevy version of CUE. The interior of the XTS is downright gorgeous and the front and rear are truly unique looking. I guess if VW can make an Porsche Cayanne, Panarama, Audi Crossover and VW Tourag all off the same platform then GM can do it too

If only they gave the XTS a unique engine over the Lacross and Impala. That said I do not think the platform share will hurt Cadillac. Overall response to XTS had been very positive and it is a very nice car !
    Yep, but they have to differentiate it further. It's probably not too difficult to really differentiate an Impala from a Cadillac despite the common platform (see my Lexus & Acura example above) as they are geared towards different segments of customers.

The gap in demographics between a LaCrosse customer and the XTS is less so. They are still both luxury vehicles albeit at different price points and therefore people will more closely associate the XTS with the LaCrosse than they will with the Impala.

That is unless they begin segmenting the luxury further.

I'll have to look for it, but I read an article a while back that perfectly illustrated the beginning of GM's demise.

It spoke of how at one time all GM's executives used to drive Buicks and Cadillacs. GM then required that the executives of each respective brand were expected to drive vehicles from their own divisions, so what happened?

Executives who went to work for Chevy, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac were upset that they now had to drive "lesser" models, so they decided that they could easily create a luxury model within their division by adding leather or velour interior, power windows/locks/seats, twilight sentinal (automatic headlights) and other features to their top model and make some easy money. Thus were born cars like the Caprice Classic, Regency 98 and Bonnevilles.

Luxury was now available to the masses and it began to devalue the Cadillac and Buick lines.

Why should I spend all that money on a Cadillac when I could get 80%-90% of what a Cadillac offers in a lesser model?

Lexus did that to Mercedes, but that was a different brand. The GM divisions were cannibalizing sales from their own cousins.

DG2
    That's why the "New Cadillac" circa 2003 ( CTS) was going all out with stand alone models for the cars. I'm sure they will get back to that as there is some truth that XTS in current form is a interim car. Maybe the new flagship in 2015 will still be called XTS ? Kinda like what they did with SRX. Completely different car today from the original

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

Re: Another XTS article - today's NYTimes

For a more positive article read the NYTimes The Cadillac Your Livery Driver Has Been Dreaming Of http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/au....html?_r=1&hpw

DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS

It's funny how all the media calls this car a flagship when GM does not even call it that. As far as platform sharing I think many people got spoiled by the Sigma platform and the Northstar engine which was just for Cadillac at least at the start for the Northstar till they decided to put them in Pontiacs and Buicks. That is why the Omega platform will be just for Cadillac like the Sigma is/was. And from what I read they are working on a V8 and I bet that will be all Cadillac too. Platform sharing has been going on forever the problem is the spoiled public demands so much more. I have 1970's Motor Trends that do not even mention or care about the fact that a Fleetwood shared its platform with a 98 or Electra. It's so assinine that every comment about the XTS mentions the Lacrosse as its platform mate. Who cares! I am not a fan of the XTS but it sure as hell has nothing to do with it having a platform that is shared with a Buick.

Also there has always been GM haters its just worst now do to the hole bailout thing. The XTS will do just fine in sales. When the flagship comes out that will only help the sales of the lesser cars even more. I agree that Cadillac will need to do more in terms of features and options at least when it comes to the flagship. There better be at least a 5 to 10 options/features that will not be avalible on any other Caddy. Super Cruise comes to mind. In my opinion this feature should only be considerd for the flagship and no other Cadillac. You can buy a ATS with just about every option as a XTS. Not to mention all the interiors look too similer. The spy pic of the new 2014 CTS looks almost the same as the XTS. While the XTS looks great on the inside they all look the same. To me that just does not jive so I hope Cadillac changes things up alittle with the flagship in 2015 or 16.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.