XTS 2nd Test Drive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By wthomas33
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, XTS 2nd Test Drive in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just at my Cadillac dealer as my brother just purchased a new CTS. While there the XTS was tempting me ...
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

XTS 2nd Test Drive

Just at my Cadillac dealer as my brother just purchased a new CTS. While there the XTS was tempting me to take it for a blast , so of course I could not resist. I had the XTS loaded up with my brothers and son and hit the road for a much longer and more aggressive test.

I was very criticle of the XTS being a "rebadge" but after very detailed inspection of this car and this second test drive I must say that GM did a brilliant job here. First power , I got on the XTS hard and will tell you that it felt quicker then my V8 STS that I drive to the dealer. The car handled amazing as I really drilled it very hard into the corners then stood on the brakes. Gents, the XTS drove better , handled better and was far more "comfy" then my 320hp STS. I loved the dash and was able to change the gauges this time. My teenage sin was zipping through all the tech goodies and really was blown away.

So , anyone thinking about the XTS should go take one for a ride. No doubt this will be my next car. It's awesome !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I test drove one yesterday...

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Re: XTS 2nd Test Drive

Using an STS as a reference point for this level car is like no reference at all in my opinion, unless you like the sitting on a hard bottomed bathtub experience. In addition to uncomfortable seats and not very impressive performance (I test drove both the V6 and V8 versions in 2008), the exterior styling was a failure. Probably why it didn't sell very well.....

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    The seats in STS are it's worst quality but overall I have enjoyed it for 176,000 miles and nearly 8 years now. I think comparing the 320 Northstar to the new XTS engine is fair. The fact that the XTS felt faster is a positive.

wthomas33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX 2013 XTS4 ..had 07 DTS 01 Deville 97 elDo 86 dvll

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    The seats in STS are it's worst quality but overall I have enjoyed it for 176,000 miles and nearly 8 years now. I think comparing the 320 Northstar to the new XTS engine is fair. The fact that the XTS felt faster is a positive.
    I completely agree. I was at the dealer for service on my 2007 DTS Luxury when I took the XTS for an aggressive test drive.

Once back at the dealer, we were talking trade in for the XTS. Much better ride, just as peppy, and very quiet interior!

I was sold!
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Went looking for a Cadillac dealership within reasonable driving distance. Found one at 40 miles from home and had to check out the XTS. The salesman practically twisted my arm off to get me to test drive one. (Yup, he did.....). Went through the CUE system in the showroom on a Luxury model (the one with the standard dash) and then got to drive a Premium (with the computer screen dash). General impressions:
    The car looks smaller in person than in photos, though it is an attractive package.
    Very upscale looking interior (both cars I saw had black interiors, which are not my favorite).
    Preferred the standard dash to the computer screen version. It was brighter and the display look crisper and much less busy. CUE was amazing, though quite frankly, I would probably use less than 50% of its capabilities.
    Plenty of room in the front though with the higher door sills, the higher and more massive dash, and the higher console (with finally a useable arm rest), the impression was of a much smaller interior.
    Very comfortable seats, and that's without playing with all the adjustments.
    Overall driving experience was that this is not your father's Cadillac. Felt very different, generally in a positive way:
    Different steering feel--a bit more detached that with the DTS--but after driving half a block, came to like it better.
    Power seemed more than adequate, though throttle response and transmission kickdown response was less than expected. Overall transmission smoothness was just about perfect--much smoother than in my car.
    Ride overall seemed comparable to my Performance model (both having MRC).
    Biggest difference was the silence. No engine noise, except at full throttle. No transmission noise. No suspension noise. No tire noise. No traffic noise. I'd have to be wearing ear plugs in my DTS to get the same level of silence.

An impressive vehicle overall, though honestly, I'd have to do a back to back with a premium level LaCrosse before committing to buy one.

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

@TulsaVic, the next time you drive an XTS try it in "M" and use the paddles to shift. I think you will find the throttle response and transmission kickdown more to your liking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.