Adaptive Cruise Control? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Adaptive Cruise Control? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by RockvilleXTS I did forget to mention one thing. I took the car in for them to check ...
    CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control?

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleXTS View Post
    I did forget to mention one thing. I took the car in for them to check to see if any error codes popped up, and none did, so that means all is working as intended with ACC. I have seen ACC bring my car to a full stop (with my foot hovering over the brake pedal!!!)
    Wow! more gutsy that I am. I took over control myself when on ACC and a car eventually stopped in front of me. How close did your car go to the one in front of you before automatically stopping? But I'm glad to hear that actually works as intended.
    I presume that whatever front auto braking exists outside of ACC is working as intended also. We just don't have a good idea what is intended! :-)
    Amen to that! I still think it was "thought of (at least for advertising purposes)" intended to stop but that rather than using the same method they use for backing up, they took a shortcut and simply used the existing ACC method which will not stop for an object that has not been acquired as moving prior to stopping, e.g. our Garage walls or anything similar - which is unfortunate, and hence the "may", E.g. it would stop but only in the same manner as for ACC. Of course this is just a guess. I wish though the powers to be let us officially know so this issue can be put to bed or even better make the appropriate changes and change the "may" to "will" so that we do not unintentially run into the garage wall or more appropiately scrape or damage the low front overhang on those often rather high dividing stones in parking lot or high curbs when angle parking. Of course the front warning bars do help with that which I had on my previous STS only in the back. LOL.

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

I was following a car on the DC Beltway and both the car in front of me and I exited onto another street with a no-merge area. This means everyone generally has to stop unless no traffic is coming. The car in front of me stopped, normally, as did my car. And, that was on a slight curve (off-ramp), so I was poised to hit the brake in case ACC lost "sight" of the car in front of me. Most remarkable experience having the car stop on its own! This was a more gradual stop, not a panic stop. I did have to hit the brakes once on another interstate when the car in front of me stopped very abruptly. Red warning flashed in the windshield and the seat did its buzzing, but I was quite aware of the need for firmer braking than ACC seemed to want to provide! I ended up switching lanes as well as firmly braking, so I'm not sure just how firm the ACC braking might have been. However, all this having been said, it sure seems from the documentation and ads that there is some sort of low speed auto braking. But, under what conditions? Or is this like Intellibeam? Sort of a pipe dream for the future? :-)

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I really dislike Adaptive Cruise Control...too subjective in it's braking, plus I believe people have a tendency to rely upon it to much, and relax their braking skills. An expensive option I can do without!

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

I'm looking forward to the feature/application which in its planning stages is being called the "Napper Adapter Pilot" (N.A.P.) Here's how it is proposed to work: Once one's destination had been input into the Navigator, the vehicle placed in Drive, and the N.A.P. icon tapped, the driver may take a nap until the vehicle arrives at its destination whereupon the seat vibrates to awaken one or more of its occupants. These are the proposed settings for the N.A.P. app via CUE:

-- Vibrate upon arrival at destination
    -- Vibrate 5 minutes after arrival
    -- Vibrate at a specified date and time
    -- Allow for a 5 min. snooze
    -- Vibrate driver seat only / passenger seat only / all seats
    -- Vibrate HIGH/LOW/OFF
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by rayle View Post
    I'm looking forward to the feature/application which in its planning stages is being called the "Napper Adapter Pilot" (N.A.P.) Here's how it is proposed to work: Once one's destination had been input into the Navigator, the vehicle placed in Drive, and the N.A.P. icon tapped, the driver may take a nap until the vehicle arrives at its destination whereupon the seat vibrates to awaken one or more of its occupants. These are the proposed settings for the N.A.P. app via CUE:

-- Vibrate upon arrival at destination
    -- Vibrate 5 minutes after arrival
    -- Vibrate at a specified date and time
    -- Allow for a 5 min. snooze
    -- Vibrate driver seat only / passenger seat only / all seats
    -- Vibrate HIGH/LOW/OFF

LOL. I can buy into this! The last option can be your bosses' voice recording yelling "get in here and get to work!"

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    LOL. I can buy into this! The last option can be your bosses' voice recording yelling "get in here and get to work!"
    Don't need to hear the wife on a Navigator...

beldingsfinest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Proud Driver Assist Package Owners,

ACC (or FSRACC - full speed range adaptive cruise control as we call it) is available in your vehicles. This will allow your vehicle to slow for traffic (cars, motorcycles, etc.) while you are using your FSRACC system all the way to a stop. The braking of this system is limited to around the decel limit you coluld pull while braking on snow, which isn't a ton, but will be plenty to take care of most driving situations. If the system detects that more braking deceleration will be needed you should receive the ACC takeover alert (flashing icon and pulsating seat or beeps - whichever you have selected in you CUE). Once stopped (if you didn't need to "takeover") and the vehicle ahead has moved away, you will be able to resume your cruising speed by pressing resume or simply applying the throttle (if you wait too long to resume, the system will alert you that it's time to wrap up that text message or conversation with your passengers by beeping or vibrating the seats as well. "Go-Notifier")

For low-speed collision avoidance the vehicle uses what they call Rear (or Front) Virtual Bumper. This system is compltely separated from FSRACC and has a limitation of full-ABS braking (much higher than FSRACC), if you've experienced this, I hope you have now recovered from your whiplash. The Virtual Bumper System is not intended to be used as an automatic parking aid; as distance approximation at low speeds is quite difficult, especially with the incredibly diverse set of objects in which the system would need to detect while parking (bicycles, pedestrians, wooden walls, reflective pole barn siding, etc.)

Hope this clarifies a few things for everyone. Enjoy your state-of-the-art machine!

I'm very happy with ACC. Glad you clarified the amount of braking it generally is capable of. Panic stops will require driver action (hopefully few!) Good clarification -- thanks. I've experienced the virtual bumper braking in the rear 3 times, and each time it saved me from an unpleasant experience by an abrupt stop with the same braking pedal feeling as ABS. So, I'm very grateful for it! But I've never seen anything like that in the front, most likely because visibility is better and I'm less likely to need it. Still not willing to challenge the back of the garage! LOL

kipsts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013XTS Platinum, prior: 92,95,97,00,02,and 2005 STS

I'm very happy with ACC. Glad you clarified the amount of braking it generally is capable of. Panic stops will require driver action (hopefully few!) Good clarification -- thanks. I've experienced the virtual bumper braking in the rear 3 times, and each time it saved me from an unpleasant experience by an abrupt stop with the same braking pedal feeling as ABS. So, I'm very grateful for it! But I've never seen anything like that in the front, most likely because visibility is better and I'm less likely to need it. Still not willing to challenge the back of the garage! LOL
    I don't have the Drive Assist package on SilverFox (a Platinum) but do have the Driver Awareness package and have experienced its action in the front of my car. I have had two occasions where a vehicle has cut across way too close in front of me on the expressway while I was using the cruise control. The red 'crash' flashing icon and pulsating seat immediately came on as it instantly deactivated the cruise control. In effect resulting in my deceleration just prior to my hitting the brakes. My guess is that it occurs much faster than my reaction time. A very effective and useful result!

Quote Originally Posted by beldingsfinest View Post
    Proud Driver Assist Package Owners,

ACC (or FSRACC - full speed range adaptive cruise control as we call it) is available in your vehicles. This will allow your vehicle to slow for traffic (cars, motorcycles, etc.) while you are using your FSRACC system all the way to a stop. The braking of this system is limited to around the decel limit you coluld pull while braking on snow, which isn't a ton, but will be plenty to take care of most driving situations. If the system detects that more braking deceleration will be needed you should receive the ACC takeover alert (flashing icon and pulsating seat or beeps - whichever you have selected in you CUE). Once stopped (if you didn't need to "takeover") and the vehicle ahead has moved away, you will be able to resume your cruising speed by pressing resume or simply applying the throttle (if you wait too long to resume, the system will alert you that it's time to wrap up that text message or conversation with your passengers by beeping or vibrating the seats as well. "Go-Notifier")

For low-speed collision avoidance the vehicle uses what they call Rear (or Front) Virtual Bumper. This system is compltely separated from FSRACC and has a limitation of full-ABS braking (much higher than FSRACC), if you've experienced this, I hope you have now recovered from your whiplash. The Virtual Bumper System is not intended to be used as an automatic parking aid; as distance approximation at low speeds is quite difficult, especially with the incredibly diverse set of objects in which the system would need to detect while parking (bicycles, pedestrians, wooden walls, reflective pole barn siding, etc.)

Hope this clarifies a few things for everyone. Enjoy your state-of-the-art machine!
    Thanks for that info. However, while ACC works perfectly for me, even to a full stop (I however still keep my eyes on the road and also ensure the "green car" shows in the HUD, as well as my foot over the brakes). It always worked correctly. Anyway, as to the low-speed collision avoidance it works perfectly backing up (in fact I always have to press the button to turn it off when backing out of my garage as otherwise the car comes basically immediately to a full stop and I can tell/hear the brakes are really strongly applied - and your joke about "whiplash" is not too far fetched! But as to forward auto-stopping, I too must state that it doesn't work, it only shows those coloured bars, sometimes unfortunately blocked by the "turned" steering wheel and thus no guidance how close I am (to that too high cement block), when turning into a parking place. No virtual FRONT bumper.
    So my question on this, if this is to work like the perfectly working virtual REAR bumper, is my car defective and should it be fixed?. I appreciate that it not to be considered an "automatic parking aid", nor do I intent to use it as such, but I doesn't work at all - not the slightest amount of auto-braking, when testing, e.g. in an emergency, say a serious momentary distraction, which I hope I will never run into. (other than the colored bars (if visible) and the seat shaking), and the non-existing "virtual front bumper" may be a crumpled one.

I just can't let this issue go, I guess. Today, I set the (soft) trash cans out (Thursday's trash day), and slowly drove into them. No auto braking in the front at all. Gently bumped the trash cans. However, when I try the same experiment in the back the car stops automatically. Trash cans are plastic. So . . . I really wouldn't rely on any type of auto stop in the front. Just my experience (with ACC, in case you didn't read the posts above). Still, I like the bars and seat buzzing, which is more than my 2008 STS had. Dealership says it only works "on cars". Well, I won't be bumping a car to find out! Caveat emptor.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

From what I'm reading, I'd relegate this to "I'm not paying attention" use, which for me means it's pretty much useless.

Front Autobraking Update: Yep! It does work. Yesterday, I had slowed approaching a traffic circle (rotary), and a car came from the left in front of me in the circle, moving to exit the circle toward my right. I accelerated a bit sooner to enter the circle than my car thought I should (other car still crossing in front of me), and the red crash warning flashed in the windshield, the seat buzzed the crash warning buzz, and the brakes applied by themselves. The other car exited the circle before my car totally stopped, and then then the auto brake stopped. Very cool. When it did auto brake, it sounded like it does when it auto brakes in the back, preventing you from backing into something. (That anti-lock brake sound.) On another note, it will NOT prevent you from tapping your garage front at a low speed. :-( Lesson learned . . . Glad for black diamond paint, and a black plastic bumper. No visible damage.

Front Autobraking Update: Yep! It does work. Yesterday, I had slowed approaching a traffic circle (rotary), and a car came from the left in front of me in the circle, moving to exit the circle toward my right. I accelerated a bit sooner to enter the circle than my car thought I should (other car still crossing in front of me), and the red crash warning flashed in the windshield, the seat buzzed the crash warning buzz, and the brakes applied by themselves. The other car exited the circle before my car totally stopped, and then then the auto brake stopped. Very cool. When it did auto brake, it sounded like it does when it auto brakes in the back, preventing you from backing into something. (That anti-lock brake sound.) On another note, it will NOT prevent you from tapping your garage front at a low speed. :-( Lesson learned . . . Glad for black diamond paint, and a black plastic bumper. No visible damage.
    Which supports my assumption that for the front braking it requires a moving object, just like ACC whereas that is not required when backing up where it works extremely well (if I don't temporarily turn it off when backing out of the garage it stops me dead since I'm close to the wall and there is that extra 12 inch between wall and door). Too bad it doesn't use the same method when going forward particularly when the wheel blocks those nice warning "bars" when turning into a parking lot spot thus preventing the possibility of touching the usually too high cement blocks. LOL.
    RockvilleXTS and RockvilleXTS like this.

r34220 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    Which supports my assumption that for the front braking it requires a moving object, just like ACC whereas that is not required when backing up where it works extremely well (if I don't temporarily turn it off when backing out of the garage it stops me dead since I'm close to the wall and there is that extra 12 inch between wall and door). Too bad it doesn't use the same method when going forward particularly when the wheel blocks those nice warning "bars" when turning into a parking lot spot thus preventing the possibility of touching the usually too high cement blocks. LOL.
    How do you turn in off?

----------

The rear breaking gives me trouble backing up into the garage if I am too close to the wall. Never thought to turn it off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.