Adaptive Cruise Control? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Adaptive Cruise Control? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This is my understanding from the manual "ACC will maintain a follow gap behind a detected vehicle and slow your ...
    CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control?

This is my understanding from the manual
    1. "ACC will maintain a follow gap behind a detected vehicle and slow your vehicle to a stop behind that vehicle.", ie. it will stop the car.
    2. "Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) may not detect and react to stopped or slow-moving vehicles ahead of you. For example, the system will not brake for a vehiclet hat it has never detected moving.", ie. the cone never moved, thus not detected by ACC.

RockvilleXTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

I believe the appropriate section in the manual might be under the "Active Emergency Braking System"/"Automatic Braking", p. 9-51 rather than Active Cruise Control section. Automatic Braking: "Automatic Braking applies the brakes, even if the driver has not applied the brakes, in many imminent front-end crash situations to help reduce crash damage. It may even help avoid some crashes at very low speeds. Automatic Braking may slow the vehicle to a complete stop to try to avoid a potential crash. If this happens, Automatic Braking will hold the vehicle at a stop until the brake pedal is pressed. A firm press of the accelerator pedal will also release Automatic Braking."

Katie: Actually, I did send you a private email on Dec. 17, and on Dec. 19 you replied that it would take take up to two business days to respond. I'm betting the holidays might have increased response time. :-)

Good point. I stand corrected. Was distructed by the overall thread heading. Look forward to what Katie has to say and will test with my car whenever I get it. LOL.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Rockville, I'm so sorry for the delay! I will check my resources to track down the reason for this oversight and will send you a private message by the end of the business day Friday (4:30pm EST).

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks, Katie! Hope I didn't sound impatient. I really love the car, and don't mind some initial growing pains. Mostly a learning curve. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleXTS View Post
    Hope I didn't sound impatient.
    Not at all, Rockville! I really appreciate your patience and bringing my attention to the wait.

Katie

lloydsie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc

Many congratulations, ultra-sport! Thanks very much for the feedback; I'm so glad you're having fun getting acquainted with your XTS. Please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you have vehicle questions, and I can investigate.

RockvilleXTS, please don't hesitate to email me with the last eight of your VIN. Then, I can check my GM resources for you and search for relevant information regarding your braking question. (While our offices are closed 12/25, I will be back 12/26 to check my emails.)

Best,

Katie
    Hi Katie,
    2013 XTS Adaptive Cruise Control: It was not available when I purchased my XTS and my question now is when it becomes available will it be possible to have my dealer install the computer

program in my current Premium XTS or is it only available as a factory installation?
    Thanks,
    Lloydsie
    Roboat@msn.com

Lloydsie, I actually recommend checking in with your dealership regarding this particular concern. Their specialized technicians are in the best position to assist you, as my resources didn't yield any definitive results. However, I'm happy to contact your dealer on your behalf if you prefer! Email me anytime if you would like me to follow up with your dealer for you this week.

Katie

330GT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS, 2014 XTS-P

Quote Originally Posted by cblove View Post
    My platinum build date is 8/12 on my window sticker it states "driver awareness package".
    I played with Cruise control and could not find the "gap button" mentioned in manual.
    I have the collision alert button but not a gap button.
    My Premium's build date is 10/12 and I also have the "Driver Awareness Package". I have on the steering wheel - left side, next to the ON/OFF button for the A.C.C., the gap button. You can set the "Follow Distance Gap" and it shows up on the dashboard and is reflected on the HUD when you depress that button. It has 3 settings. It depicts the rear of a car and the front end of another with what appears to be a star (CRASH!!!!!) in between. If you have some time, check your O/M section 9-37. It takes time to get used to all the bells and whistles. Hope that's of some help. Have fun with your car, it is a great machine!

cblove is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 BMW 535ix M Sport & 2010 Escalade

I have the Driver awareness package. I have cruise control but do not have the Automatic Cruise Control (ACC) on this Car

This is my cruise control cluster. The button on the top right which has 2 cars with the collision STAR above them is my forward collision button, used to set collision alert in HUD near, medium, and far.

The button for FOLLOW DISTANCE GAP for ACC has 2 cars with a two way arrow above them. It is-referenced on pg 9-35 of my manual, again on pg 9-37.
    I do not have that button, therefore concluded I do not have ACC.

330gt,

Can you confirm you have the button with the 2 cars with the two way arrow?

pkadanec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS

Good question. I have both driver assist and driver awareness packages. No joy on adaptive cruise actually working. Just another "advertised" feature that is not working, however fully documented in the owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by RockvilleXTS View Post
    I am enjoying my Black Diamond Platinum with Adaptive Cruise Control. It really is a marvel how the car comes to a complete stop with ACC and a slowing/stopping car in front of me (with my foot poised above the brake pedal!). I do have one question. The owners manual describes "Automatic Braking" on page 9-51. We tested this with a plastic cone at the dealership in front of the car, but it didn't automatically stop and hit the cone (driving slowly). Tried the same thing at the back, and the car stopped itself. Is Automatic Braking a reality, or is this like Auto High Beams, in the manual, but not really installed in the car?
    Did you ever get that "auto stopping" when driving forward sorted out? I have not fully tried it in this wheather, but noted that I once hit a big (soft) fertilizer bag sitting in front of the wall in my garage, i.e. car didn't brake to a "full stop" by itself. Brief discussiong with dealer to-day they think car would slow down but not stop and only show those "bars". They will investigate. So any info you have on this would be appriciated.

Interesting question. No one seems to really know how it is supposed to operate. My dealership did the best research they could, but all they came up with was quotes from the owner's manual (especially p. 9-50). The manual clearly indicates the car "may" apply the vehicle's brakes, and there are several caveats. However, does that mean it will stop before I bump into the back of my garage? I've not tried that little trick yet, fearing the worst (even if I have someone watching and stop me at the last minute). Katie was unable to obtain anymore info either. So, I'm rather stumped. Where does one go for specifications for something like this, if the dealership and Katie (on this forum) are unable to get deeper information? I think it would be helpful to know how this feature actually works in the real world. Back auto braking is great! And, the rest of the car is flawless (but I'm eagerly awaiting CUE 2.0), especially after Apple's iOS 6.1 update.

@ RockvilleXTS
    Thanks for your reply. I have also asked my dealer to check into this, but based on your experience I am not holding my breath. It would be nice if someone from GM would clearly indicate how this is suppose to work, e.g. is the manual somewhat week in it's explanation or is the system defective and requires a fix. Perhaps the car is simply using the same system when going forward as ACC but using a different method going backwards. ACC is said to only come to a dead stop when it has been following a moving car that stops (wouldn't wish to test that, though) but not a car which was stopped already, i.e. not for a "non-moving" object. If so, then of course the car would not apply the brake to stop going forward for something that has never moved. Too bad. By the way, I really like ACC as it really keeps the appropriate distance slowing down or speeding up, in fact noted at least once that it actually applied the brake somewhat stronger to slow down when the car in front of me obviously applied the brakes forcefully.

I did forget to mention one thing. I took the car in for them to check to see if any error codes popped up, and none did, so that means all is working as intended with ACC. I have seen ACC bring my car to a full stop (with my foot hovering over the brake pedal!!!) I presume that whatever front auto braking exists outside of ACC is working as intended also. We just don't have a good idea what is intended! :-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.