Anyone Own XTS Yet ? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, Anyone Own XTS Yet ? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by 97EldETC Why do they give you an iPad? I'd rather get another 4s. To me, the iPad ...
    gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by 97EldETC
    Why do they give you an iPad? I'd rather get another 4s. To me, the iPad is dumb. Just another type of laptop that is more easily scratched.
    I used to think that too until I got an iPad. Never use my laptop anymore.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

I used to do that until I bought a windows tablet...lol. I do still use my iPad a lot as the retina display is hard to stay away from!

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I don't think the iPad could ever completely my laptops, but I definitely don't use it as much anymore.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Anyone Own XTS Yet ?

iPad comes with all versions of the XTS

pre-loaded with the CUE training app and the myCadillac app and the OnStar RemoteLink app

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cadillac/vehicles/xts/2013.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/May/0509_cue.html

see that link for more info about the iPads and the new customer service launch to accompany the XTS, CUE and all it's new electronics
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Hughh View Post
    Thanks a whole bunch! This is unprecedented. I can see this as the beginning of a new era. With tablets getting smaller and cheaper, I can envision other manufacturers doing away with the bulky printed manuals that don't fit any longer in the glove box. I can also see other products such as A/V Receivers, washer and driers, etc. adopting the tablets for their new products. They can show via videos how to operate everything.

Sony did away with the printed instructions on their HD Tv back in 2010. You have to go to a website and if you want a hard copy and i'ts up to you to print it.
    I think the more important aspect of it is learning to use CUE without sitting in the car, how often do you really need the manual? That's another thing, I would leave the iPad at home for my kids to play with and then wouldn't have the manual in the car when I want it since I seem to rarely want anything from the manual when I am out of my vehicle.

I'm pretty sure there's still a paper manual ...
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's still a paper manual ...
    I would much prefer that to the digital one, but they have to put something else on the iPad

i think there is a digital manual on the iPad (as it says in the press release) but i think there's also a paper manual in the glove box (as usual)

i can double check w/ the sales dept tomorrow

they're always about the same thickness ... usually under and inch thick

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    As much as I hate dinosaur comments I have to say that your're a dinosaur if you still want to keep paper manuals. I've got my DTS manual digital on my iPad. I wish I could have my service manuals for the DTS digitally as well. Not even 2 weeks after getting them, the service manual "broke" in two because it was so big and the bind couldn't handle the weight. Plus when I'm working on the car and using the manual, the wind keeps blowing the pages, my hands dirty up the pages as I turn them. I'd actually be more inclined to read the service manual more if it weren't so cumbersome. My job requires extensive use of 300 page manuals. I don't miss the days of yesteryear when I had to dig through these massive manuals to find my answers. Now I can carry hundreds of these manuals all at the weight of one iPad. And they're searchable PDFs, making it much easier to find what I'm looking for. When I had to help my daughter build her Lego sets, didn't need to deal with flimsy manuals. Just downloaded them and was able to zoom in and it automatically remembers what page I was on so we could take a break as needed. Using an iPad to hold your manuals is way too convenient to pass up on.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi
    As much as I hate dinosaur comments I have to say that your're a dinosaur if you still want to keep paper manuals. I've got my DTS manual digital on my iPad. I wish I could have my service manuals for the DTS digitally as well. Not even 2 weeks after getting them, the service manual "broke" in two because it was so big and the bind couldn't handle the weight. Plus when I'm working on the car and using the manual, the wind keeps blowing the pages, my hands dirty up the pages as I turn them. I'd actually be more inclined to read the service manual more if it weren't so cumbersome. My job requires extensive use of 300 page manuals. I don't miss the days of yesteryear when I had to dig through these massive manuals to find my answers. Now I can carry hundreds of these manuals all at the weight of one iPad. And they're searchable PDFs, making it much easier to find what I'm looking for. When I had to help my daughter build her Lego sets, didn't need to deal with flimsy manuals. Just downloaded them and was able to zoom in and it automatically remembers what page I was on so we could take a break as needed. Using an iPad to hold your manuals is way too convenient to pass up on.
    I am as tech savy as anyone else but I agree with not letting go of the traditional hard copy manual. Makes sense to have both of course but I say keep the hard copy. I bet the majority of car owners still prefer.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughh

Get used to it. It's a matter of dollars and cents! I found out when I purchased a Sony HiDef 60" TV in 2010 and when I looked, there where only a couple of pages telling you how to turn on the TV and how to call for help, or else got to their website where you could view and down load the umpteen pages long manual.
    A TV set , ipod,iphone , DVD player is a bit less sophistcsted then a car. Maybe another five years

DG2
    Besides, the traditional owners manual makes for great reading in bathroom libraries everywhere !!!

ok so i confirmed with sales that the XTS comes with a digital manual on the iPad and a paper manual in the glovebox

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    ok so i confirmed with sales that the XTS comes with a digital manual on the iPad and a paper manual in the glovebox
    That's good, I probably just misunderstood the 'unboxing' I saw elsewhere(not this site) showing all the stuff for the XTS. I thought it stated that the manual was digital only.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.