DTS vs XTS -comparable handling ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac XTS Forum Discussion, DTS vs XTS -comparable handling ? in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ride (and handling) is a very subjective thing ... get yourself in the drivers seat to form your own opinion, ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: DTS vs XTS -comparable handling ?

ride (and handling) is a very subjective thing ... get yourself in the drivers seat to form your own opinion, don't go by other people's opinions
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

SHOWGIRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Awesome 2010 DTS Premium(former CTS '10 owner)

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    ride (and handling) is a very subjective thing ... get yourself in the drivers seat to form your own opinion, don't go by other people's opinions
    ---------------------
    Hello !!!!!
    Yes you are totally correct - it's a very handsome car - best wishes !!!

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    Well, I've got a (1)Lincoln Town Car L and (2)Cadillac CTS-V.

I want the most room, best ride and creature comforts in my Town Car. When I drive, I'm always cognizant on passenger comfort. I'm light on the throttle(actually, linear) and anything that upsets the ride and comfort of my passengers drives me nuts.

In the V, with my friends, as long as their knees aren't digging into my back, I don't care. As for my personal cars, I love taut rides, manual shifters, extreme handling and speed.

When I critique a car for ride and handling, whatever the purpose of the car, you'll find my opinions legitimate. Things like turn-in, cornering stability, body roll, impact harshness, jounce, rebound, compression, all of those things I feel and understand.

I'm hoping to ride/drive in an XTS soon.

DTS man33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS, Had 2000 Deville DTS and 2003 Deville DTS

I just took a test drive in a new XTS. My DTS was in for some standard service so I decided what the hell, my salesman has been bugging me to at least test drive one so i said why not. The one I test drove was a Premium model. First thing that I hated right off the bat was that awful digital dash. No matter what way I configured it or even after I set to the brightness level, it was hard to see as the sunlight washed it out. I would of thought Cadillac would at least done a better job on making that a little brighter. In terms of inside space they did do a good job. Its not as nice and big as my DTS but it is still very spacey and comfortable. The car had pretty good pickup but IMO it felt no faster then my DTS which is bad considering my DTS has the 274HP version and this car is a 304HP. In terms of handling it was much more precise and better then the DTS. The ride was more harsh as well which I did not like. I did not like the rear visibility which I felt was not good. The rear window seems small and the rear end of the car is so high you don’t get a great view. Outside it looks nice but nothing too striking. The CUE was pretty cool and easy to use. If there is anything that I can say is nice about this car it is the CUE system. But that will be used across the hole Cadillac lineup so even that makes this car nothing special.

All in all I told my salesmen I am going to be in the market for a nice pre-owned 2011 DTS. He was not happy to hear that and confessed he has been hearing that from quite a few DTS owners. My Caddy dealer had 5 of them on the lot. They sold the first few right off and the others were just sitting there.

Dad7159 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS4 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS man33
    I just took a test drive in a new XTS. My DTS was in for some standard service so I decided what the hell, my salesman has been bugging me to at least test drive one so i said why not. The one I test drove was a Premium model. First thing that I hated right off the bat was that awful digital dash. No matter what way I configured it or even after I set to the brightness level, it was hard to see as the sunlight washed it out. I would of thought Cadillac would at least done a better job on making that a little brighter. In terms of inside space they did do a good job. Its not as nice and big as my DTS but it is still very spacey and comfortable. The car had pretty good pickup but IMO it felt no faster then my DTS which is bad considering my DTS has the 274HP version and this car is a 304HP. In terms of handling it was much more precise and better then the DTS. The ride was more harsh as well which I did not like. I did not like the rear visibility which I felt was not good. The rear window seems small and the rear end of the car is so high you don’t get a great view. Outside it looks nice but nothing too striking. The CUE was pretty cool and easy to use. If there is anything that I can say is nice about this car it is the CUE system. But that will be used across the hole Cadillac lineup so even that makes this car nothing special.

All in all I told my salesmen I am going to be in the market for a nice pre-owned 2011 DTS. He was not happy to hear that and confessed he has been hearing that from quite a few DTS owners. My Caddy dealer had 5 of them on the lot. They sold the first few right off and the others were just sitting there.
    That's ok this car was not meant to replace the dts it is a brand new car. Stick with the dts

Dad7159 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS4 Premium
    By the way what did you think of the 06 when it first came out? Anyone who does not think the xts is a far superior product to the dts or the STs for that matter is not really looking I have owned both. I will also own an XTS to replace my aging dts. It has everything the dts has and a whole lot more. I remember when the 06 came out everyone was bitching about the ride quality over the outgoing e 05 We all know what a joke that was

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

it's human nature to resist change
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad7159 View Post
    That's ok this car was not meant to replace the dts it is a brand new car. Stick with the dts
    That's a good point. Different car, different model, entirely different lineage.

DTS fans should wait for the upcoming enlarged CTS or the "Omega" full size luxury car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad7159 View Post
    By the way what did you think of the 06 when it first came out? Anyone who does not think the xts is a far superior product to the dts or the STs for that matter is not really looking I have owned both. I will also own an XTS to replace my aging dts. It has everything the dts has and a whole lot more. I remember when the 06 came out everyone was bitching about the ride quality over the outgoing e 05 We all know what a joke that was
    I owned a 2000 and 2003 Deville DTS. I liked my 06 DTS much better then those cars in terms of style and pretty much all else except I missed the Night Vision option which I loved and had on both of my older Caddies. I understand that the XTS is not meant to replace the DTS and I am glad it does not because it would be a horrible replacement for it. Someone mentioned to wait for the bigger upcoming 2014 CTS. From all the spy shots I have seen of it , it looks pretty good in terms of style. At least it looks like it has a hood which I can not say for the cab-forword design of the XTS. I do not know how anyone would bitch about the 06-11 DTS ride, IMO it was much nicer then my 2000 and 03DTS. I have no problem with change but if a person is going to fork over 50 plus grand on it, it needs to be a change that works for them. When I saw the XTS in concept form it looked alot nicer and I was ready to start saving to get one. However the final product looks so much more watered down that it no longer appeals to me. I hope everyone that buys one is happy with it. But one will not be sitting in my driveway. That will have to wait for a future Cadillac product that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda

That's a good point. Different car, different model, entirely different lineage.

DTS fans should wait for the upcoming enlarged CTS or the "Omega" full size luxury car.
    Can these guys afford it?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Can these guys afford it?
    Rather stupid question don't you think Bigjim? We can afford a $50+ thousand DTS but we can not afford a $40+ CTS? We have no idea what the new flagship will cost but I doubt it will start at over $80 grand. Even if it starts at $60K its still in the DTS owners ball park.

$60G for an Omega? You're dreaming. Expect them to start at $70G. The new ATS will be barely cheaper than the current CTS. Cadillac is moving up. The DTS is Cadillac of years ago...

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Anything more than a Lexus LS is a recipe for failure. They need to be higher than Equus, but less than LS. Or else, just wait until they get marked down.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

If Cadillac is truly building an equal quality flagship and it looks anything like the Ciel, it will fly out the door at $70G+. And it would still undercut everyone else's flagship.

Sorry, but the days of the cheap large car are over...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    If Cadillac is truly building an equal quality flagship and it looks anything like the Ciel, it will fly out the door at $70G+. And it would still undercut everyone else's flagship.

Sorry, but the days of the cheap large car are over...
    There not over yet they still have a cheap large/midsize car, the XTS. Bigjim you may be right on the price however from what I have read on the internet and from what high end GM brass has said they are still very cautious about bringing a mega flagship to the market. However a XTS replacement is already on the way. I honestly think GM and Cadillac are in a hurry to replace the XTS, maybe even keep the name but transfer it over to the Omega platform. From what the rumor mill states the first car off the Omega platform will be the XTS replacement then later on a bigger mega flagship and that car may come in around the price range you stated. But I do not see GM jumping into that market right from the current XTS. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.